You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

Optimistic, unrealistic, call it what you will.

You said you expect a challenge for fourth by simply changing the manager and keeping the squad we have.

No chance

Without investment, regardless who the manager is we'll be playing for 6th

If that, people are deluded if they believe any manager will make a bid for 4th under the current CEO/Owners

Forget about price for a second- would you actually swap Lescott, Toure and Boateng for Carragher, Agger and Skrtel?

That wasn't the point. I was merely illustrating the spending power they have. I could have said Tevez, Adebayor and Robinho cost £90m how many of them would you swap for Ngog?

So taking a team from the brink of relegation to their highest league position in their history, followed by a European final within two years is not doing a fantastic job? Right.

Not sure it is the highest in their history?

Even if it is, no, it is a good job!

I think Zigackly is right, with a good manager you can improve, 'He who cannot be named' proved that, it was what people liked me banged on about for the past five years!

Pelligrini could done it, Hiddink could have done it, Sven could have done it, Kenny might have done it,

But that isn't what the board want!

Optimistic, unrealistic, call it what you will.

You said you expect a challenge for fourth by simply changing the manager and keeping the squad we have.

No chance

Without investment, regardless who the manager is we'll be playing for 6th

This is it exactly.

Whoever becomes our next manager should be given the respect that the position holds, by everyone - no exceptions.

Even if we got a top class manager he still has to contend with cancer and aids and no matter how good a manager you are that's going to hinder progress.

The best we can hope for is a decent experienced manager who knows how to steady a rocky ship. Hodgson is capable of that. So if he gets the job give him a chance instead of abusing the chap before he's even taken it.

That wasn't the point. I was merely illustrating the spending power they have. I could have said Tevez, Adebayor and Robinho cost £90m how many of them would you swap for Ngog?

That's true and I know what you meant, but what I was trying to get at was the fact that despite them spending God knows how much, I don't think they're really that much better than us. Obviously they'll eventually overtake us, especially if the Yanks have another couple of years in charge, but for me anyway, there's not much between the sides at the minute and I think they'll still fail in attracting top talent this summer, seeing as they're without Champions League football.

For all their finances, I think we'd have finished above them last year if we'd approached games with a more positive mindset. As Steve said, in our shittest season in 10 years or so, we still only finished seven points behind Spurs and I think we let that slip ourselves with our negative approach. If we'd have gone to places like Wolves and Blackburn and actually gone for the win, there's no doubt in my mind that we would have got Champions League football.

What I'm saying is that while they'll eventually surpass us because of their bottomless pit of cash, I don't think there's that much between the two teams at the minute. With one or two shrewd signings and a more positive outlook next season, I don't think the top four is that much of an unrealistic ambition. Obviously that could change in the long term, but that's a different matter for me.

Not sure it is the highest in their history?

Even if it is, no, it is a good job!

It is.

What would he have to do for you to count it as a fantastic job then?! I'm not saying he's the man for us, but there are plenty of reasonable ways you can say that without playing down his excellent achievements with Fulham.

We talk about the Liverpool Way, yet we are writing off and slating a manager who has not even been appointed yet. Hodgson would not be my first choice for the Liverpool job, but I'm staggered to see Liverpool supporters behaving like this. Whoever is appointed will need the support of the fans (and my suspicion is they will get the support of those who go to games) - they don't need a backlash before they have even taken up the post. This thread is so contrary to what I understand by the Liverpool Way that I wonder if the Liverpool Way, like the Boot Room, is just history.

We talk about the Liverpool Way, yet we are writing off and slating a manager who has not even been appointed yet. Hodgson would not be my first choice for the Liverpool job, but I'm staggered to see Liverpool supporters behaving like this. Whoever is appointed will need the support of the fans (and my suspicion is they will get the support of those who go to games) - they don't need a backlash before they have even taken up the post. This thread is so contrary to what I understand by the Liverpool Way that I wonder if the Liverpool Way, like the Boot Room, is just history.

Of course they won't get booed at games. But I suppose you weren't around when people were questioning Paisley or Fagan or Dalglish's appointments? It did happen, although not on the internet where everyone can see it and anonymity makes any criticism more vicious.

There have been similar threads castigating Lucas to which the thread starter objected strongly and told the critical posters to get behind him because he was a Liverpool player.

Irony.

Errmmm slightly different. Its true every liverpool player should be supported fully when on the pitch. I never see the point of booing someone as that's hardly going to help the player. You get behind them and support them to help them relax and hopefully play better. But of course there's nothing wrong witn venting your frustration out on a forum.

But hodgson has yet to be confirmed as liverpool manager, actually as yet to officially been offered the position, so slating him right now is perfectly fine as he's NOT anything to do with liverpool...yet.

Hodgson`s team play boring defensive football, its always security first for his teams.

I thought I should look into his point total for his difference clubs at least those close to being a 20 team league in the full seasons he has had.

Inter:

95/96: 54 points

96/97: 59 points

98/99: 49 points

Blackburn:

97/98: 58 points

Fulham:

08/09: 53 points

09/10: 46 points

So these are the achievments of the manager we want to appoint to steady our ship and even take us forward, a manager which record point total is 59 points.

Another thing it would be interesting to look into is the average age of a supposed Hodgson first 11 or a squad.

From his time at Viking FK I remember that he did not really trust young players and if we look at his Fulham teams its not really crowded with young rising stars either, actually neither stars or young players.

Like I said earlier, Hodgson is all about security first, hard work and a tight defensive structure and old experienced players are what he usually gets in to perform to his ideas.

Personally I dont think such a set up or ideas are the way forward if you want to go anywhere in a top league these days and when you take into consideration his record point tally as a league manager I cant find many reasons as to why on earth he would be a good appointment for a club liek Liverpool FC.

I mentioned earlier I ahd read Hicks was the one who wanted Hodgson and a manager like him who probably will finish with around 50 points fits perfectly into his strategy though, a strategy where a clubs success does not really matter as long as the fans turn up and still make Hicks money.

Hodgson would be a piss poor appointment for Liverpool, let there be no doubt about it.

I think Zigackly is right, with a good manager you can improve, 'He who cannot be named' proved that, it was what people liked me banged on about for the past five years!

Pelligrini could done it, Hiddink could have done it, Sven could have done it, Kenny might have done it,

But that isn't what the board want!

Keep him the hell away from our club!! Then I'd rather have Hodgson...

So taking a team from the brink of relegation to their highest league position in their history, followed by a European final within two years is not doing a fantastic job? Right.

He got 53 points with Fulham, a team who usually finishes on the top half/middle of 40 points and that have finished with 52 points in the league before.

Boro also got to a UEFA Cup final, did you want to appoint MaClaren then?

England did though and it was a disaster.

With owners like H&G appointing the new manager through their puppets P&B, how on earth do you feel secure we can trust this appointment to be in the clubs (our interest)?

I don't want Hodgson, and although I think some on here are out of order with the name calling aso, this is the time for us to make our opinions known, not when the deal has been sealed....

We can of course go down the road we did in regards to the sale and the running of the club under M&P, say nothing and except mediocracy...

BTW - You mention the Boot Room and that it is history, bring Kenny back in and it is back from the brink, is it not? And in regards to the Liverpool Way, who better than Kenny to unite us all and bring us back on the right path....

Of course they won't get booed at games. But I suppose you weren't around when people were questioning Paisley or Fagan or Dalglish's appointments? It did happen, although not on the internet where everyone can see it and anonymity makes any criticism more vicious.

I was around and there were questions raised about all three, though less so with Fagan than the other two. But I don't recall anyone telling them to fuck off.

He got 53 points with Fulham, a team who usually finishes on the top half/middle of 40 points and that have finished with 52 points in the league before.

Boro also got to a UEFA Cup final, did you want to appoint MaClaren then?

England did though and it was a disaster.

No and I don't want Hodgson either. Why are you putting words into my mouth?

As I have said at least twice before in this thread, I just don't see why people feel the need to try to diminish his excellent achievements at Fulham. And the season they finished with 52 points they had Saha up front and Van Der Sar in goal.