You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Election Night

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They might be but they havent gotten in to bed with that shower of cunts.

which is the point.

Half rice half chips for you then.It only matters when you say.They're posh cunts but they're your posh cunts.

The Tories have now dropped their pledge to ringfence funding for the NHS. Thanks Nick

Hello, that's a good thing. The Audit Commission called Tory and Labour plans to ringfence this department at the expense of others "insane".

We have a budget deficit of nearly £200bn, it is ridiculous to suppose that any department should be automatically exempt from that.

18 months? What is it you people do not understand about 5 years, this is the figure that has come out since Tories got in number 10, that is the correct figure, forget anything else. These people with no mandate and no public backing have 5 years to do as they wish and like the last unelected shit in power are going to hang on like an embarrasing mong's embrace until physically removed.

Funny how we all laughed and pointed at Iran's elections?

How long since we actually elected anyone, 10 years? Another 5 before we even get the chance and no options left anyway with these 3 shit posturing groups of thick sliced wankers.

"I have not been exposed so far to any proof that we can stop the Iranian nuclear program by means of an aerial attack"

I'm sure the Tories will help him out with 'proof' if that's all he needs, funny he didn't need it when we invaded neighbouring Afganistan. He's also now supporting Trident and claims the Iranians nuclear program needs stopping?

What a hypocritical weak man!

We didn't need proof of Afghanistan's threat, we all saw the planes smashing into skyscrapers, the attack that was plotted and planned entirely from Bin Laden in Afghanistan under the protection of the Taliban government.

And he's not "supporting" Trident, he's just agreed to drop opposition to it. You know, compromise? When people get together and meet in the middle?

Actually, I'm not sure you have the first idea about compromise, you strike me as an extremely petty and uncompromising person who would prefer to alienate people you disagree with than find any common ground.

We didn't need proof of Afghanistan's threat, we all saw the planes smashing into skyscrapers, the attack that was plotted and planned entirely from Bin Laden in Afghanistan under the protection of the Taliban government.

And he's not "supporting" Trident, he's just agreed to drop opposition to it. You know, compromise? When people get together and meet in the middle?

Actually, I'm not sure you have the first idea about compromise, you strike me as an extremely petty and uncompromising person who would prefer to alienate people you disagree with than find any common ground.

Fuck me, that's embarrassing, what a load of absolute shite that is.

Guest Pistonbroke

I'd call it bending over backwards and letting yourself get fucked.

You can call it whatever you want, the rest of us will get on with trying to improve the country instead of jeering from the sidelines.

I thought the general concensus was that it's all downhill from here, and we would not be looking at any marked improvement for some years. Or have I missed something?

Guest Pistonbroke
You can call it whatever you want, the rest of us will get on with trying to improve the country instead of jeering from the sidelines.

Stop being a patronising twat. Have fun convincing yourself that you actually now suddenly believe, you sound like a Torie cunt already.

The full coalition agreement is out, I think is really sad that the extreme partisanship of so many people will blind them to the genuinely progressive measures outlined within.

How can any of you lefties complain about this stuff?

• We will restore the earnings link for the basic state pension from April 2011 with a "triple guarantee" that pensions are raised by the higher of earnings, prices or 2.5%, as proposed by the Liberal Democrats.
  • The parties agree that the personal allowance for income tax should be increased in order to help lower and middle income earners. We agree to announce in the first Budget a substantial increase in the personal allowance from April 2011, with the benefits focused on those with lower and middle incomes.
  • The parties agree that a switch should be made to a per-plane, rather than per-passenger duty; a proportion of any increased revenues over time will be used to help fund increases in the personal allowance.
  • We further agree to seek a detailed agreement on taxing non-business capital gains at rates similar or close to those applied to income.
  • We agree that a banking levy will be introduced.
  • We agree to bring forward detailed proposals for robust action to tackle unacceptable bonuses in the financial services sector.
  • We will end the detention of children for immigration purposes.
  • The parties agree to implement a full programme of measures to reverse the substantial erosion of civil liberties under the Labour Government and roll back state intrusion. This will include: A Freedom or Great Repeal Bill; The scrapping of ID card scheme, the National Identity register, the next generation of biometric passports and the Contact Point Database; Outlawing the finger-printing of children at school without parental permission; The extension of the scope of the Freedom of Information Act to provide greater transparency; Adopting the protections of the Scottish model for the DNA database; The protection of historic freedoms through the defence of trial by jury; The restoration of rights to non-violent protest; The review of libel laws to protect freedom of speech; Safeguards against the misuse of anti-terrorism legislation; Further regulation of CCTV; Ending of storage of internet and email records without good reason; A new mechanism to prevent the proliferation of unnecessary new criminal offences.

There is so much here that is good and positive.

What the Taliban government protected him?

They said they would be happy to supply Bin Laden to the US if only they could provide proof. They did not want Bin Laden to lose them power so as with any extradition they just asked for proof, evidence, then the Americans could try him in a court, it seems they did not have any? Us said no, we'll invade you for one man thanks. Trillions spent by the US later, clearly they didn't get him and are involved in two wars without 2 dollars to rub together?

To say he's not supporting Trident, when he is in power with a party that does and offers no opposition just shows what is known really, he always supported it, just not in it's current form/price. He does now fully support it.

As for you resorting to personal attacks on me again and claiming I'm 'petty'. Low.

The parties wish to reduce systemic risk in the banking system and will establish an independent commission to investigate the complex issue of separating retail and investment banking in a sustainable way; while recognising that this would take time to get right, the commission will be given an initial time frame of one year to report.

A UK version of Glass-Steagal.

Good idea.

To say he's not supporting Trident, when he is in power with a party that does and offers no opposition just shows what is known really, he always supported it, just not in it's current form/price. He does now fully support it.

You haven't even looked at the coalition document, you are speaking from a position of ignorance:

The Government will be committed to the maintenance of Britain’s nuclear deterrent, and have agreed that the renewal of Trident should be scrutinised to ensure value for money. Liberal Democrats will continue to make the case for alternatives. We will immediately play a strong role in the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty Review Conference, and press for continued progress on multilateral disarmament.

"Full support" for Trident? Don't make me laugh.

You haven't even looked at the coalition document, you are speaking from a position of ignorance:

The Government will be committed to the maintenance of Britain’s nuclear deterrent, and have agreed that the renewal of Trident should be scrutinised to ensure value for money. Liberal Democrats will continue to make the case for alternatives

ha ha! In other words, "We, the tories, are doing what we like, and the Libdems can carry on bleating"

DC: OI CLEGGBITCH. Be a good boy, bend over and shove something large and cockshaped up your own arse, old chap. I'm a little too busy being PM right now to do it myself.

I was going to suggest a new game where we do searches to find SD's most vehemently anti-Tory posts (just for fun you understand, SD) and I came across this doozy

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/gf-general-forum/90040-ask-chancellor-2.html#post2197108

It was the other way round really, Leon Brittan practically begged Clegg to join the Tories to no avail, that makes him more like Luke Skywalker.

yes I am fully aware that Luke turns to the dark side some time after ROTJ

In all fairness, we do have a government that nobody voted for! However you dress it up, that is what we have.

Are we seriously suggesting that there are not large numbers of Liberal voters, particularly in the North that are currently wondering what the fuck is going on?

The point, is that the Liberal party are/where left of centre, in fact many people commented upon the areas where they were even more left of centre than Labour, two thirds of the country (if you didn't vote, you have no opinion so tough shit!) voted for a progressive left government, and yet we have a mixture of Conservativism and a smattering (what 58 seats gets you) of left of centre offerings.

All this talk of the Liberals promising not to fall out is just bollocks, of course they will say that, but once the first bi election result comes in and they find there vote has dramatically dropped things may well change.

You are supporting all the Tories policies now, you can 'talk' 'alternatives' all you like Nick but you are supporting fully, Trident when you support the Tories.

You are supporting invasions when you are supporting Murdoch, you cashed your cheque, Nick has severly weakend his own party, and has no principles or if he did he saw power and forgot them.

The agreement is meaningless compared to what they've got people to actually vote them in power for.

As for you resorting to personal attacks on me again and claiming I'm 'petty'. Low.

51iuAscRa5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"Schopenhauer's trademark pessimism always turned me off to his philosophical writings, but this book is a perfect expression of his cynicism, since it's a satire rather than an academic work of philosophy. It's written as a how-to manual with 38 easy rules for winning an argument as your hapless opponent clings to quaint standards of logic and rational debate. A compact book, it would fit nicely on the bookshelf between Machiavelli's "The Prince" and Voltaire's "Candide." The basic premise is that it's more important to win an argument than to reveal the truth, and that rhetorical tricks are more effective than sound reasoning in achieving this goal. He recommends such tactics as personal insults, changing the subject, and confusing your opponent, with a wry analysis of why each will give you the upper hand in a public debate. Despite being newly published in late 2004, it seems that every politician has already memorized its strategies - and sadly (but to Schopenhauer's credit as an author) they all seem to work in contemporary public discourse. If it weren't for Schopenhauer's sardonic tone this would be a very bleak and depressing book, but it's written with such fine irony that it's a very funny (albeit bitter) look at the shamelessly bad arguments we hear every day."

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Let's not turn this into a 'gang up on SD' thread. I'd be having a similar mental breakdown if I was in his position, too.