You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Captain Carragher your Club needs you!

HurdyGurdyMan

Aquilani hasn't worked out at all yet. Hope he does. Bad signing by Rafa so far.

Keane got plenty of chances and was shit imo.

I thought Keane was harshly treated and not having the confidence of a manager who paid 20m for you from the moment he set foot through the door. Remember Villa away last season when he ended up playing on the left hand side. That was his 3rd game for us.

He got into a bit of a groove just before Christmas, scored a great goal v Arsenal then two v Bolton in the space of a week then was bombed out again. He maybe could have done better at times but I don't think Rafa helped the situation either.

Why pay that all money for someone you have no idea how to ingratiate into the team? Once is bad enough but to do it twice in two summers is unforgiveable.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally i wouldn't be looking at dropping one of the few world class players we actually have in the team but look at addressing why he is not playing well.

Steven Gerrard running with the ball at the opposition defence is a great sight but it rarely happens these days as more often then not he is having to check back as there is zero options in front of him.

The clue in why Gerrard is struggling is because he is a superb 'attacking' player.

Your sounding like Rafa mate.

Haha, perhaps mate. But I deffo see differences in their playing styles. Mainly Gerrard has the pace and drive to play the link man role.

I think that Aquilani playing there whilst Gerrard was out however means that Rafa does think he can play there but he currently still prefers Gerrard in that role at the minute.

Personally i wouldn't be looking at dropping one of the few world class players we actually have in the team but look at addressing why he is not playing.

Steven Gerrard running with the ball at the opposition defence is a great sight but it rarely happens these days as more often then not he is having to check back as there is zero options in front of him.

The clue in why Gerrard is struggling is because he is a superb 'attacking' player.

Plus there is no-one in the centre of our midfield able to give him the service he thrives on.

Plus there is no-one in the centre of our midfield able to give him the service he thrives on.

This is also a big factor as more often then not Lucas and Mascherano will purely pass the ball back to Agger or Carra who will then look at hoofing the ball upfront.

This is also a big factor as more often then not Lucas and Mascherano will purely pass the ball back to Agger or Carra who will then look at hoofing the ball upfront.

Exactly. I said the same earlier in the thread. He isn't getting the ball early enough or in good enough positions.

Lucas passed to him the other night when he was on the floor FFS.

Exactly. I said the same earlier in the thread. He isn't getting the ball early enough or in good enough positions.

Lucas passed to him the other night when he was on the floor FFS.

Agree mate.

You only have to look at the Lille game when we had a break on and Babel was running at the Lille defence from a wide left position.

He cut inside whilst Gerrard went to his outside left to recieve the ball and Torres made a run to free himself of his marker.

Both players were in great positions but instead Babel tried taking on the Lille defender and lost the ball.

The reaction of both Gerrard and Torres said a lot for me.

Most of our players do not have 'game intelliegence' and for me this is the worrying thing.

They only know how to play one way and that is to pass the ball sideways or hoof it upfront.

Look at the difference in quality when Torres and Gerrard combine together, its done at a high tempo and natural ability.

Maybe Aquilani is Gerrard's replacement and not Alonso's.

Maybe Rafa's won a battle, as there has been a lot of stuff in the press lately about Carra looking to play away from Anfield, and with Gerrard's 'issuses' this season has broken the relationship with the club due to their differences with Rafa.

Both sides will be looking at it for the best intentions for the club, but one side or maybe even both sides are too stubborn to see the others suggestions to make improvements to take the club forward.

It's easy to take sides with both Carra and Gerrard as they are rightly rated as legends Liverpool Football Club for their contributions. But we only tend to hear about there feelings from people in the know, so it becomes so lobsided at times, it's hard to actually decided what's right and what's wrong.

If Rafa has lost Carra and Gerrard, as much as the feeling around here suggests, then he has to stand his ground and say well your with me or your not. I have a feeling that Carra's delay of contract negotiations, due to wanting to know where he stands for being a number one next season and rightly so, is obviously a pop at Rafa.

I'm not going to start saying he's this and that for doing it. Gerrard's deafening silence throughout the season certainly back the claims up.

I would not be suprised if one or both left in the summer if Rafa stays. Something has got to give and it's not going to be pretty till one of them does.

It's easy to say Rafa has his yes men as they are the players the 'Rafa's Not On My Christmas Card List' selection of our support, use as scapegoat in their mud throwing at Rafa. But maybe those players actually do believe in what Rafa's plans are. Maybe Carra and Gerrard don't fancy more change and maybe their 'thirst', like any fans, for the league is clouding their judgement.

Maybe Rafa's well documented stubbornness is the cause of the split. If it is down to this, then Rafa is taking a brave, brave gamble. He is well known for being an avid player of the tactical board game RISK. This could either make or break the next ten years for the future of our club.

I totally accept people taking Gerrard and Carra's side. I don't think the insults at these two on this are all justified either. But there are two sides to every story and thats how I'm trying to look at it, but I'm finding myself still looking to see Rafa turn it around argue his case even more.

Something hasn't sat right with me with Carra and Gerrard since that game where we lost away at West Ham, and Rafa made one of his many bizarre substitutions he has made. The commentator stated that "Gerrard and Carragher are looking at each other and shaking their heads" Rafa appears to have lost those two about 3 seasons and its reached breaking point.

One side has to lose out and both will be making sure its not them. I would certainly rather they patched things up and took each other ideas and opinions on board, and worked together like they should, then we wouldn't be having the conversations we have been having.

It's a sad day no matter who goes or who stays, for the simple reason it has gotten this far.

Two words...........Bryan Robson. He played for a shite team for 10 years or more & never once came out to talk the shite Gerrard has uttered & flirted with other clubs. Maybe some of us don't forget, I apologise for that. Mel Sterland has a league winners medal.......do Leeds United fans revere him the same as Bremner, Giles or Lorimer? Personally I'd snap City's hand off if they offered £40 million. Graeme Souness might have been a shite manager for us but on the pitch his drive, determination & ability would piss on Gerrard...........and that hurts to say that about a fellow Scouser.

I agree that Souness played with better players but he ran a game, Gerrard never has, different type of players but captains of our club. Would Dalglish & Rush put up with wasted passes? Despite many fan's reservations about Souness he's the player I'd rather have on my side more than any other red. Sad the way it went for him in the end. He'd never have got a titty lip like our current captain. We'll agree to disagree.

Guest Pistonbroke

Impossible to judge players or teams from different era's imo. Players from back then would have the stricter regimes footballers have now. Players from now wouldn't be overpaid pussies if they played back then. You have to judge them on what they achieved as and when they were playing. It would be the same in any walk of life. The world evolves and so does everything around it.

He has without a doubt, but he never runs a game like Souness did..........Different players. Gerrard is an impact player, Souness had an impact for 90 minutes.........maybe I'm just getting all misty eyed over the good ole days!!! But if I had to have one player in a Red shirt who always gave you everything it would be Souness. Gerrard's body language these last few games has been a disgrace from a Scouser. I couldn't give a shite if he hates Rafa, he wears our shirt. Politics should be put aside.

He has without a doubt, but he never runs a game like Souness did..........Different players. Gerrard is an impact player, Souness had an impact for 90 minutes.........maybe I'm just getting all misty eyed over the good ole days!!! But if I had to have one player in a Red shirt who always gave you everything it would be Souness. Gerrard's body language these last few games has been a disgrace from a Scouser. I couldn't give a shite if he hates Rafa, he wears our shirt. Politics should be put aside.

+1

Ever thought he maybe injured and playing through it, or maybe the injections he took early in the season are doing him in?

Possible...............Or maybe my cynical side remembers past history. He could walk on one leg but at least give a positive attitude on the pitch. That's what true leaders do. Mackay, Hughes, Bremner, Souness, Robson & Keane. You don't have to bang one in from 30 yards to prove what you are. No fucker will ever win this argument.

I also can't buy this view that Gerrard is deliberately playing within himself. Although I agree his form this season has been poor, Rafa obviously doesn't believe he is holding back otherwise he would not have played him in the centre of midfield the other day.

Over the years the accusation labeled at Gerrard is that he is a prickly character who needs to have his head in the right place to perform to the best of his ability. I think this may have been true several years ago but the Gerrard we see now is a different beast. He didn't play to bad when he had the court case hanging over his head last season. Would the club benefit by stripping Gerrard of the captaincy no. Although if his form continues at this level it certainly gives everyone at the club a major headache.