You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

I think thats a general thing that men really aren't as arsed about their actual weight. I could put probably some weight on and be in better shape than I am.

An obsession with the scales (this most definitely is not aimed at you Champ, or anyone in particular for that matter) seems pretty unhealthy.

I know I need to get fitter, if I lose weight, or put it on, I'll be happy as long as my body looks like it did when I was 21.

More like 5ft 8 mate.

BMI is crap with me, flat stomach and I'm virtually 13 stone.

I'm probably about dead on 6ft, and maybe 12 and a half stone.

I can't run 200 yards.

Used to have a proper six pack, and that, when I played sport regularly. Fucking annoying.

I think thats a general thing that men really aren't as arsed about their actual weight. I could put probably some weight on and be in better shape than I am.

An obsession with the scales (this most definitely is not aimed at you Champ, or anyone in particular for that matter) seems pretty unhealthy.

I know I need to get fitter, if I lose weight, or put it on, I'll be happy as long as my body looks like it did when I was 21.

And I'm loads lighter now than I was when I was 21...when I used to diet. I should shut up, shouldn't I?

And I'm loads lighter now than I was when I was 21...when I used to diet. I should shut up, shouldn't I?

I've actually no idea what I would have weighed when I was 21. Possibly slightly more than I do now. Not much in it.

I'm sick of not being fit. I should probably do something about it.

Had a fair bit of extra weight on me from last year. From June I gave up sugar and ran 5k roughly once a every 10 days, if that, for 2 months. Lost two stone. Very surprised how easy it was, and it wasn't the exercise so much as cutting out sugar. I had mad sugar cravings for the first week, but they disappeared fairly quickly after that.

Sugar is the real villain I reckon. Your body runs on glucose, not sucrose. So your liver metabolises them very differently. Excess glucose gets converted into glycogen, which is basically energy storage. It's why marathon runners 'carb-load' before running. You store that shit all you want and it shouldn't cause health problems. Excess sucrose turns to fat and is the real cause of obesity and diabetes.

Sucrose is basically a poison if not surrounded by a lot of fibre. It's why fruits are generally healthy, because their sugars are encased in fibre. Fruit juices, however, are all the sugars and none of the fibre. The equivalent amount of alcohol, for example, ultimately isn't that much worse for your liver than orange juice. But we notice the booze more because it's metabolised in our brain as well as our liver. So long periods of boozing leads to cirrhosis of the liver, but long term consumption of sugar leads to diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure and probably other problems.

Also, the mantra of eating less and exercising more is very overrated. It's all down to what you're eating. Calories are not the same, which makes calorie-counting pretty pointless. Biochemically, two slices of brown bread break down into glucose. The same caloric amount of orange juice / cakes / biscuits etc, breaks down into shitty sugars that fuck with your liver and eventually make you fat and affect your health.

Also, there's a hormone called leptin, and its job is to tell us when we're full. Sucrose actually causes leptin to stop working. So you're brain thinks you need more food, and you eat more. Vicious cycle.

Sorry for the spiel. There's videos on youtube from a dude called Dr. Robert Lustig, of his various lectures. 'Sugar, the bitter truth' is the main one. It's really interesting stuff.

I'm probably about dead on 6ft, and maybe 12 and a half stone.

I can't run 200 yards.

Used to have a proper six pack, and that, when I played sport regularly. Fucking annoying.

15-22 I was playing the unmentionable Saturday afternoon, Sunday morning and afternoon, training Tuesday and Thursday evenings. I'd then swim on a Monday, run Wednesday and cycle Friday.

I had a perfectly flat, rock hard stomach (couldn't get a 6 pack though) and was nearly 13 stone.

I could eat and drink anything, and I mean anything.

I've actually no idea what I would have weighed when I was 21. Possibly slightly more than I do now. Not much in it.

I'm sick of not being fit. I should probably do something about it.

Get a bike....its great

15-22 I was playing the unmentionable Saturday afternoon, Sunday morning and afternoon, training Tuesday and Thursday evenings. I'd then swim on a Monday, run Wednesday and cycle Friday.

I had a perfectly flat, rock hard stomach (couldn't get a 6 pack though) and was nearly 13 stone.

I could eat and drink anything, and I mean anything.

Ahh, those were the days. I reckon at about 23/24 you start to notice that this is no longer the case. Isn't your natural physical peak meant to be around 21/22?

Get a bike....its great

Honestly think I'd prefer running. Just need to get started, keep putting it off.

Ahh, those were the days. I reckon at about 23/24 you start to notice that this is no longer the case. Isn't your natural physical peak meant to be around 21/22?

Honestly think I'd prefer running. Just need to get started, keep putting it off.