You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

RAFA: REDS' FUTURE IN GOOD HANDS

WhiskeyJar

Rafa Benitez today predicted a bright future for Liverpool Football Club and admitted he is encouraged by the positive impact already made by changes implemented to the youth setup at Anfield.

The Reds boss helped instigate a reshuffle of the club's Reserve and Academy structures over the summer, with several new staff drafted in to bolster the production line of young talent.

Benitez believes early signs are positive and is certain Liverpool's future is in safe hands.

He told Liverpoolfc.tv: "It is much better now. The players can see the difference and I am sure it will be easier for them to progress.

"It is always important to develop your own players. Local players have passion and desire and I think that is the key if you want to be consistent and stay at the top of the table - you have to produce your own players.

"When you make changes it can take time, but we all have the same plan, everybody is following it and we try to do the same things here at Melwood and at the Academy."

Asked if he felt the future was a positive one for Liverpool, Benitez replied: "Yes, I think so. I am sure."

With the Reds senior squad suffering a spate of injuries in recent weeks, Benitez has been forced to call upon the services of several youngsters from John McMahon's table-topping reserve side.

The likes of Nathan Eccleston, Daniel Ayala, Martin Kelly and Jay Spearing have all turned out for the first-team this season - and the gaffer admits he'd have no qualms about dipping into the second string pool again in future.

"The Reserves are a very good team," he said. "We changed the staff and some players and we knew the first year could be difficult, but they are doing very well.

"They are playing well, are well organised and know what they are doing.

"It means we can bring in some players and you have seen they can perform. The likes of Eccleston, Darby, Ayala and Pacheco - we know we can use these players and they will know what to do."

While McMahon's men hold a three point lead at the top of the Barclays Premier Reserve League North, having lost just once so far this term, the form of the under-18s has fluctuated.

However, Benitez insists the most critical aspect of Academy level football is the development and growth of young prospects - rather than results.

The Spaniard said: "The most important thing at that level is to produce players. When you change things, you can't expect to be winning from the first day.

"But at least you can see the players have a plan, and it is the same for everyone at the club.

"The connection with Melwood is good and the players know if they have to do something, it is because the senior players are doing the same."

Benitez's fellow countrymen Rodolfo Borrell and Pep Segura were just two of several new arrivals at the club's youth complex in pre-season - and the manager feels the changes are helping drive the Academy forward in the right direction.

"They are doing well, but we didn't bring in just these two coaches," he continued. "We brought in more people and changed staff, so to name all of them would be difficult, but I am really pleased because they are doing a very good job.

"When you talk with agents, or people who are involved with coaching or watching the Academy, everyone says it has changed a lot.

"So I am pleased because it is the first year in charge, and you can see some changes.

"We can improve by winning more games and then things will always be easier and more positive, but the direction is right.

"Both Rodolfo and Pepe, and the rest of the staff are doing a very good job."

RAFA: REDS' FUTURE IN GOOD HANDS

At the very least he knows he has to develop some of his own younger stars in order to evolve Liverpool.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unnecessary, but predictable.

What do you want him to say? 'We are fucked, totally, don't know why these kids are bothering really they are a pile of shite'

To come out and say this is pretty much laughable, considering the supporters know the hurt-locker in which we currently reside.

"Don't worry that we're currently fucked with a pool-cue, sideways..."

Unnecessary, but predictable.

What do you want him to say? 'We are fucked, totally, don't know why these kids are bothering really they are a pile of shite'

First time he has done an interview like this with a broadsheet in over 5 years and some of our supporters are having a go at him. Yet he gets it day in, day out and thats ok. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Purslow has told him to do this. He has to fight his corner or it will never stop.

To come out and say this is pretty much laughable, considering the supporters know the hurt-locker in which we currently reside.

"Don't worry that we're currently fucked with a pool-cue, sideways..."

You have lost me!

You accused him of being a PR machine for Tom and George, which is bang out of order!

The Youth team and the young players in the reserves are one of the genuine plus points that we do seem to have in our favour at the moment, and he is one hundred per cent right in highlighting this,

First time he has done an interview like this with a broadsheet in over 5 years and some of our supporters are having a go at him. Yet he gets it day in, day out and thats ok. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Purslow has told him to do this. He has to fight his corner or it will never stop.

He should of done it years ago and perhaps the pressure and the media wouldnt be so bad

Kelly, Spearing, Eccleston, Ayala, Insua all played this year. So apart from being factually wrong, what exactly is right about your 'witty' retort?

Played, I meant playing. There is a difference.

I meant a 'run' not the odd appearence.

Why are the club's official website just stealing the Times work?

He's obviously given thema long interview and they're putting out a bit each day this week cos they've nothing else to write with it being international week.

Exactly, it is one interview that the Times have decided to print over a week!

I get the impression, some people want Rafa to be a Martyr just sit back and take the stick, not fight his corner, not argue his points, just let everybody have their say and be thankful he has a job.

They seem to think the same over those who support him as well.

Exactly, it is one interview that the Times have decided to print over a week!

I get the impression, some people want Rafa to be a Martyr just sit back and take the stick, not fight his corner, not argue his points, just let everybody have their say and be thankful he has a job.

They seem to think the same over those who support him as well.

Yep, tis sad

Rafa does one puff piece and its out of order but i suspect most of them would love to see Jose the cunt here and would lap up his daily spiel and not a word said.

Support the manager, NO. The grass is greener over there!!!

Like fuck it is.

I'd hate to see the response Rafa would get if he ever said anything completely negative about the club and its future. Some of the cunts on this site would probably celebrate, and still insist that they are Liverpool supporters. He gives an interview and he answers the questions he is asked. Only he knows how honestly he has answered those questions. The mere fact that he is giving this interview seems to offend some people, but fuck knows why. I don't see anything wrong or palpably untrue about what he has said, and I don't see it as a PR stunt.

He should of done it years ago and perhaps the pressure and the media wouldnt be so bad

Played, I meant playing. There is a difference.

I meant a 'run' not the odd appearence.

so which of our first choice players do you want to drop to give the kids a run?

so which of our first choice players do you want to drop to give the kids a run?

Well for a start i'm not advocating throwing them in, I was just saying it a bit rich going on about kids when he's not given any of them a run since he came.

The way I see it is if Ayala is good enough why buy the greek?

Darby - why buy Degen?

The list goes on.

I'd hate to see the response Rafa would get if he ever said anything completely negative about the club and its future. Some of the cunts on this site would probably celebrate, and still insist that they are Liverpool supporters. He gives an interview and he answers the questions he is asked. Only he knows how honestly he has answered those questions. The mere fact that he is giving this interview seems to offend some people, but fuck knows why. I don't see anything wrong or palpably untrue about what he has said, and I don't see it as a PR stunt.

If it achieves its aim and stops some of the endless drivel being spouted in the press about him it would be a pretty good stunt. As said earlier he should of done this a long time ago.

Well for a start i'm not advocating throwing them in, I was just saying it a bit rich going on about kids when he's not given any of them a run since he came.

The way I see it is if Ayala is good enough why buy the greek?

Darby - why buy Degen?

The list goes on.

This is the first season of Rafa's "reign" when we've had youngsters who genuinely look like they're ready and able to step up. It's still a year or so too early for most of them but it's looking like we might finally be able to rely on them and ditch the buying of squad cover.