You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Audio books.

Anny Road

Audio books? Well, Terry Tibbs has heard it all now. A book you listen to? Well I don' know about you, but that defeats the purpose of a book. The line of it being a book is well and truly crossed and now it is a radio programme. Has the country really got so fackin' idle that we cannot be bothered to actually pour a double brandy, settle dahn, slip into a velvet evening jacket, pop on a cravat, settle dahn into the Chesterdfield and read a good Catherine Cookson? Now don't get me wrong, certain types cannot read, the dsylexic, the blind and the Irish, but if you are non of the above, you are just a fackin liability. Go back to schooool, take an evening course in basic English language and do what is intended with a book and fackin' read it you fleck of arse debris.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Audio books? Well, Terry Tibbs has heard it all now. A book you listen to? Well I don' know about you, but that defeats the purpose of a book. The line of it being a book is well and truly crossed and now it is a radio programme. Has the country really got so fackin' idle that we cannot be bothered to actually pour a double brandy, settle dahn, slip into a velvet evening jacket, pop on a cravat, settle dahn into the Chesterdfield and read a good Catherine Cookson? Now don't get me wrong, certain types cannot read, the dsylexic, the blind and the Irish, but if you are non of the above, you are just a fackin liability. Go back to schooool, take an evening course in basic English language and do what is intended with a book and fackin' read it you fleck of arse debris.

Negged. For so many reasons.

• 3 years later...

Sup my n-words?

I've got a couple of audible credits I need to use. I've recently gotten in to Audiobooks. Have had World Was Z, I Am Legend and the Game Of Thrones books. All excellently read/acted out. 

What else should I try? Loads of them seem a bit shit. 

• Upvote 1

Depends what you like. I loved death by black hole Neil degrasse tyson its not a story its just him talking about science and space, it was just a damn interesting listen, physics and astronomy for dummies, a similar style to bill Bryson's a history of nearly everything. Last one I listened to was salems lot, which was pretty good. Stephen kings audiobooks usually are good but his story's generally have shit endings, like under the dome which was a great audiobook but dogshit end.

Never really got the snobbery of people against audiobooks, its just taking in a story through your ears instead of your eyes. I read a hell of a lot more than I listen to audiobooks but both are great.

• Upvote 1

Sup my n-words?

I've got a couple of audible credits I need to use. I've recently gotten in to Audiobooks. Have had World Was Z, I Am Legend and the Game Of Thrones books. All excellently read/acted out. 

What else should I try? Loads of them seem a bit shit. 

Totally different, but I really enjoyed Christopher Hitchens' "God Is Not Great " and "Hitch 22". Both narrated by Hitchens himself.

• Upvote 1

I have the following to listen to:

Nixon and Kissenger,

The Fry Chronicles,

Star Wars: the Old Republic Deceived,

Down and Out In Paris and London,

Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life (Which I am sure you have already read)

The Shadow World: Inside Te Global Arms Trade

No Off Switch; Andy Kershaw Autobiography

King Of The Court: Bill Russell and the Basketball Revolution

Listened to Alexei Sayle: Stalin Ate My Homework, which is funny in parts as it is about his communist upbringing. And currently listening to (when I get the chance or make time should I say) Denis Healey: The Time Of My Life. Which I am finding a hard listen at times, but enjoyable.

• 9 months later...

Audible doing a offer of three credits for £18 at the moment so with that and my two credits I have picked up a couple of interesting books latley.

The Second World War books 1&2 by Anthony Beever

Panzer Commander: The memories of Colonel Hans Von Luck by Stephen Ambrose (band of brothers) and Hans Von Luck

Irish Thunder: Life of Micky Ward

American Desperado- My life as a Cocaine Cowboy

Jon Roberts

My friend the mercenary

James Brabazon

All are pretty good if you are interested in said subjects.

Been looking at the cartels on Wikipedia this morning and some interesting stuff involving money laundering, the CIA, Putin etc.

• Upvote 1