You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Set Pieces

Antynwa

The players we have just dont understand Zonal Marking and what is required, Zonal marking requires a much greater degree of intelegence than marking Man for Man, Deportivo in the early 2000s were brilliant at it and obviously Valencia. The difference is having players like Ayala who fully understand the system and what it takes to make it work

However staying on our feet would help in the short term

The players we have just dont understand Zonal Marking and what is required, Zonal marking requires a much greater degree of intelegence than marking Man for Man, Deportivo in the early 2000s were brilliant at it and obviously Valencia. The difference is having players like Ayala who full understand the system

Head the ball. FOBTK.

How can they not understand it? It's fucking simple!

You have your area...defend it.

Carra is an intelligent footballer, he clearly understands it. I can't comment on anyone else but it's just a case of following some simple instructions. I'm sure they practice it enough.

They don't need to understand it...they just need to follow instructions and remember what to do. I mean I know footballers don't have a reputation for intelligence, but come on!

Guest TK-421

It's not just set pieces, it's any high ball into the area or pumped up to a strong centre forward. It's chronic and we need to sort it out. Skrtel seemed to be quite aerially dominant last season, I don't know if he is the answer.

Another thing that has crossed my mind is perhaps we lack height throughout the team? We used to have guys like Hamann, Crouch and Alonso who could help out and of course Hyypia. Lucas, Benayoun, Insua, Mascherano = too much small?

The back 4 in the 82 point season did a very good job Zonally marking and to be fair we have never really defended that well over a seaosn since that season

Finnan--------Carra-----------Hypia----------Risse

3 of them no longer at the club

Dont know if that has a bearing or not as we aslo had big players in Xabi and Momo.

It's not just set pieces, it's any high ball into the area or pumped up to a strong centre forward. It's chronic and we need to sort it out. Skrtel seemed to be quite aerially dominant last season, I don't know if he is the answer.

Another thing that has crossed my mind is perhaps we lack height throughout the team? We used to have guys like Hamann, Crouch and Alonso who could help out and of course Hyypia. Lucas, Benayoun, Insua, Mascherano = too much small?

Just made the same point in 82 point season we had Crouch, Momo, Gerrard, Xabi all very big players

The back 4 in the 82 point season did a very good job Zonally marking and to be fair we have never really defended that well over a seaosn since that season

Finnan--------Carra-----------Hypia----------Risse

3 of them no longer at the club

Dont know if that has a bearing or not as we aslo had big players in Xabi and Momo.

Riise and Hyypia are both better in the air than their replacements. Maybe even better than most of the current team thinking about it.

We have a young, inexperienced left back, a new right back and an unsettled central pairing - its a worry but until we can field a settled defence (that also cuts out individual errors) I can see our defensive game continuing to suffer. Even during the closing stages of last season when we were playing some good attacking stuff, our leaky defence often proved to be problematic.

Zonal marking should actually protect us better from having a lack of height than man marking will as we should be able to strategically position our best headers of the ball.

In theory no attacker should get a free header and the defender should be able to do enough to put the attacker off.

We have a young, inexperienced left back, a new right back and an unsettled central pairing - its a worry but until we can field a settled defence (that also cuts out individual errors) I can see our defensive game continuing to suffer. Even during the closing stages of last season when we were playing some good attacking stuff, our leaky defence often proved to be problematic.

Agreed and why i would have pushed the boat out to keep Sami who was easily our best CB last season.

I think there is some truth in that. Also, for a cb pairing, none of Agger, Skrtel or Carra is that tall or dominant in the air.

Its all very well saying that we have too many small players but the goal today was ridiculous - there was no-one anywhere near him when he tapped it in. How can that happen?

Surely professional players have the sense to realise that if there is an opposition player free in the box that its something that requires intervention

It's got so I can hardly watch when the opposition have a set piece. A couple of years ago we were fucking brilliant at defending set pieces. Since it's one of Rafa's signature tactics you would think he would get it sorted out. Our players seem completely clueless as to what they are supposed to be doing, and perhaps even more scared than me.

It's got so I can hardly watch when the opposition have a set piece. A couple of years ago we were fucking brilliant at defending set pieces. Since it's one of Rafa's signature tactics you would think he would get it sorted out. Our players seem completely clueless as to what they are supposed to be doing, and perhaps even more scared than me.

There maybe deeper issues here like Rafa not taking this issue on personally on the training ground. Maybe his heart isnt in it because of whats gone on and there were rumours of him being more distant and would that translate to the training?

I think we are simply suffering from a lack of height through the team & a chop & change defence.

We also don't have a dominant front-post jumper at present. The likes of Heskey , Crouch & Sissoko fulfilled this role & probably cleared @ 40% of dead balls before they became a problem.

The problem has also been exacerbated by us having to play the 2 most notorious dead ball teams in the league & 2 other sides filled with grocks in the first 4 games.

There maybe deeper issues here like Rafa not taking this issue on personally on the training ground. Maybe his heart isnt in it because of whats gone on and there were rumours of him being more distant and would that translate to the training?

Not sure Nick, would it not have been Pako that was drilling them in this previously? Presumably it should be the sausage man's job now?

A certain Greek defender was bought to handle those as well. Maybe even teach Carragher and Skrtel a thing or two.

I know what you mean though. Every cross or long ball into the box and your heart stops for a second.

Our build up for the second goal leads me to beleive that our attack is okay and with Aqua Man to come can only get better, the defence however is out priority.