You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shurely shome mishtake?

Red Mist

REVEALED: Liverpool handed Glen Johnson £139,000-a-week deal to beat off competition from Chelsea

It has emerged that Liverpool are paying Glen Johnson a staggering £139,000 a week.

Eyebrows were raised when the Reds splashed out £17million on the Portsmouth right-back this summer but his salary will leave fans gobsmacked.

The sum must make him the best paid full back in the world - even after Chelsea defender Ashley Cole agreed a new £120,000-a-week deal to stay at Stamford Bridge.

Even Manchester City, who have spent an incredible £118million on players this summer, will pay latest signing Joleon Lescott only a reported £94,000 a week.

Spiralling wages in the Barclays Premier League have reached such a crazy level that Liverpool, so desperate to ensure Chelsea would not beat them for the signature of Johnson, were forced to offer a huge contract.

REVEALED: Liverpool handed Glen Johnson £139,000-a-week deal to beat off competition from Chelsea | Mail Online

Probably bollocks, but does anyone really know how much Johnson is on? I doubt we can afford to pay any current player that sort of cash, except Gerrard and maybe Torres.

Even though this is probably bollocks, I have no issue with us paying top players (Torres, Johnson, Gerrard, Reina, Mascherano etc) top wages.

I don't even have an issue with what, say, Chelsea, United, Barca, Real Madrid etc pay their top players.

I do have an issue when I see inferior players on something ridiculous like £40k per week for basically doing fuck all and taking their slice of the pie (in a metaphorical and physical sense in some cases!)

He's probably on about half that. If Torres had to take a paycut to join us, there's no way they're throwing that sort of wedge at Johnson.

I also don't believe that Gerrard/Torres are on £150k a week either, but that beside the point.

He's probably on about half that. If Torres had to take a paycut to join us, there's no way they're throwing that sort of wedge at Johnson.

I also don't believe that Gerrard/Torres are on £150k a week either, but that beside the point.

Torres took a pay cut (apparently) but he was still on around £100k/week.

I'm pretty sure Gerrard and Torres are on around £150k/week now.

Torres took a pay cut (apparently) but he was still on around £100k/week.

I'm pretty sure Gerrard and Torres are on around £150k/week now.

Torres was on £100k in Spain, and was on £100k here. The difference was that here, he had to pay tax.

Pretty sure he signed a £120k deal, and Gerrard's on £130k. Carra's on £80k-ish isn't he?

Torres and Gerrard should be on the best wage, then I see a bracket below that for Reina, Carra, Johnson and possibly one or two others.

I doubt very much that the £139K is true, but given how wages are spiralling he might be on £100K.

Obviously the money is obscene, and good luck to the lad on that front. As for performances thus far, he has added a sense of adventure and athleticism to our right flank and is an attacking threat too. Clearly a good buy. Now if the rest of the side could settle down and play as they can we might just do something...

Torres and Gerrard should be on the best wage, then I see a bracket below that for Reina, Carra, Johnson and possibly one or two others.

I disagree. I think Reina is worth the same wage as Gerrard and Torres as he's both world class and irreplacable in our team.

I think he would be on about 70k-80k a week being Englands first choice right back now.

That's what I'd reckon too. Which, though the going rate, is ridiculous in its own right. I remember the stories about Robbie Fowler 'demanding' 30 grand a week no more than 12 years ago and thinking the world had gone mad (though of course wanting us to pay whatever it took to keep him).