You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Think he needs to work on his hold up play. Too often when he receives the pass he's looking to do too much, rather than just pick it up and wait for the support, then even when the support does arrive he generally tends to not use it, instead he attempts dribble past a wall of 5 defenders. Just trying to do too much, too often imo.

Someone made a great point too, forget where i read it, but the comparison with Drogba was made, who gets frees all the fucking time despite being a big fucking girl who dives all over the place, but because when Drogba receives the ball, his first thought is to simply control the ball, so when a defender comes in the back of him, the ref has no other choice, no matter how easily he goes down. But with Torres, he's always wanting to do something a bit extra with his first touch, so he's not always in control of the ball when the defender comes barging in, hence the ref waves play on.

Just think, the way defences are cottoning on to him a bit, it's time to mix it up a bit now.

He's a fucking brilliant striker, I wouldn't swap him for anybody on the planet.

The constant whingeing to refs and bickering with no-mark defenders he could easily destroy in play needs to be cut out sharpish though.

Even more so with Alonso gone, he needs to be a leader on the field.

Torres and Gerrard were shite on Monday night and Torres has spent most of the first 3 games losing the ball, falling over and crying to the referee.

It shouldn't be a crime to point this out, just because they are 2 of the best players in the world and easily Liverpool's 2 best players.

The main problem is probably that when the 2 of them don't play well, we don't have anyone else who can step into their place as match winners.

I wouldn't swap either of them for any other players in the world, but that doesn't make them immune from criticism.

That's true, mate, but I think the fella in the original post was talking about Nando's attitude in the game. He could have worded it a bit better, but I do agree with it to an extent.

I remember the Reading League Cup game a few years back when he got lumps kicked out of him all game by Duberry, Bikey and the rest of the defence. He took some horrendous shit that night, but he kept dusting himself down, plugging away and bagged a superb hat-trick. That was the first time in God knows how long I felt myself get excited about a player.

Lately, when things don't go for him, he seems to throw a bit of a strop and have a sulk rather than keep working away. As I said, the Goodison derby last year seemed to sum him up for the odd period last year, when he's a moody cunt for about an hour because he's not getting any change out of their defence and then becomes a totally different player when he gets a goal out of nothing.

I don't see it as a major problem as such, because he's still up there with Gerrard as our most important player and I love the bones of the fella, but it's just something I wish he'd knock on the head.

This.

Unfortunately we're a 'one trick pony' and that's how the opposition sees us too. It's easy to counter the obvious. It's too much pressure for any one player or combo of players to bare. We need OPTIONS.

The Crouchs' and Garcias' of this world have their place - the Kuyts' of this world deserve to start at centre forward occasionally.

Fernando Torres is a fantastic player, but NOT all the time. Nobody is THAT great. He needs Striker support. Who will step up to the mark?

I love the guy more than is natural, obviously.

However, he needs to cut out this desire to do it all himself he seems to have developed this season. Quite a few times in all our games he has refused to pass to players in better positions, and not just because that player was Lucas.

I love the guy more than is natural, obviously.

However, he needs to cut out this desire to do it all himself he seems to have developed this season. Quite a few times in all our games he has refused to pass to players in better positions, and not just because that player was Lucas.

He's always had that to his game, in my view. His first season was marked with goals from him taking on people(feigning to the right and taking his man on the inside or knocking it through his legs,don't by the way) and scoring, even when other players were in better positions. It's not coming off just now so it makes him look a little selfish but I think, given his ability far exceeds any non-Gerrard attacking player, he's right to continue doing that.

What worried me is that he missed three sitters - although my stream was a bit shit- today, can't ever recall him doing that.

Torres and Gerrard were shite on Monday night and Torres has spent most of the first 3 games losing the ball, falling over and crying to the referee.

It shouldn't be a crime to point this out, just because they are 2 of the best players in the world and easily Liverpool's 2 best players.

Yeah. Reina's shite isn't he.

It might sound daft but I get the feeling that Torres is lacking in confidence at the moment. After his goal yesterday he seemed like a completely different player. If he can put a good goalscoring record together over the next half dozen games I reckon he'll be flying again.

• 3 weeks later...