You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Aquilani

ReddOrDedd

In all fairness, that isn't very accurate, and that's being kind.

In Alonso's first start at Anfield in the Premier League, he was absolutely majestic against Norwich.

I remember it differently, not one particular match, but in general. The main criticism that I can recall with him (at the beginning) was that he needed too much time with the ball. He learned to overcome that, managed to play his own game again, and improved defensively (though that was never his forte).

Thanks for being kind, though, Sunday mornings are better that way...

I remember just thinking he was brilliant. We lost at OT but Alonso was superb in that game and then he just absolutely destroyed Norwich with his passing in the next game.

Nigel Worthington (I think he was their manager at the time) said after the game that he'd have paid to watch Alonso play.

Basically, there is absolutely no comparison between Alonso's start and Aquilani's. In time I hope Aquilani will go on to become a great player for us and I think he has real ability, but so far he's been a bit of a car crash in all honesty.

I remember at Fulham when the chants for him to come on were deafening.

It was to replace Salif, mind!

Aquilani does have self preservation near the top of his agenda though, only to be expected. As you say Xabi was getting caught a bit and especially so against Cuntard on New Year's, but at least he was going in for strong (too strong) 50/50's.

Then again he hadn't been crocked for the previous 3 years.

Makes you wonder why we bought him in the first place, part 3779.

Guest ian garro
I just hope you got something wrong and this is not correct. Because if it is, I don't even know where to begin. Good on Carra though.

He isnt wrong, it happened right in front of me, and was completely out of order - not to mention embarassing for us all.

Sadly though, it's hardly surprising these days.

He isnt wrong, it happened right in front of me, and was completely out of order - not to mention embarassing for us all.

Sadly though, it's hardly surprising these days.

Was that in the Lower Centenary in the second half? I thought I saw Carra say something to someone but was too far away in the corner of The Kop to tell for sure.

Guest ian garro
Was that in the Lower Centenary in the second half? I thought I saw Carra say something to someone but was too far away in the corner of The Kop to tell for sure.

Yes mate, it was. Carragher threw the ball to him, but his touch was awful and he knocked it straight out of play. His face said it all, but then the mongs all started moaning, groaning and generally voicing their displeasure.

Carragher basically told everyone to lay off, and calm the fuck down.

As I say, sadly, that's the state we find ourselves in these days. I don't understand it, I mean, he had a bit of a 'mare yesterday, but do those people not recognise that fact - and the fact that it was a mistake ?

We've always had dicks who shout at the players, it's no different now to how it's always been.

Ablett used to get dogs abuse when I started going as a kid and we were top of the tree then.

He certainly did. I also heard Ronnie Whelan take some shit from Reds on The Kop a few times.

Guest ian garro
We've always had dicks who shout at the players, it's no different now to how it's always been.

Agreed, I just think it's a lot more pronounced now, that's all. Things like that yesterday, I mean, it's not as if he's shit, he was just having a bad game, so I can't see what people having a go at him for a simple mistake is going to do to help him ?

We used to be good at shit like that.

Agreed, I just think it's a lot more pronounced now, that's all. Things like that yesterday, I mean, it's not as if he's shit, he was just having a bad game, so I can't see what people having a go at him for a simple mistake is going to do to help him ?

We used to be good at shit like that.

A lot of it is brought on by the obsession with money, in my opinion. People see Rafa constantly complaining about a lack of money so that when he does go out and spend £20M on a player, they expect him to be really good straight away.

It's not fair, but when people have been fed so much stuff about money being the be all and end all, then it's something which shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

It's not his fault we paid £20M for him, and how much of that have we actually paid so far?

He needs games. He needs to start every game and start to feel like he is going to be trusted and begin to understand his role in the team and what he is supposed to do.

Being rotated or whatever, like against Wolves, does him no favours. I can sort of understand the logic why, but I think it's doing him a disservice.

Play him in one position and keep playing him there. I also don't blame him for jumping out of tackles, if I'd been out for tha tlong i'd be doing exactly the same thing. Especially when tackling and the defensive side of the game is not me.

It's not his fault we paid £20M for him, and how much of that have we actually paid so far?

We've paid £5m. We've agreed to pay about £15m. It goes up to about £17m if we win the League or the CL with him.

It is much easier to call him a £20m signing though.

We've paid £5m. We've agreed to pay about £15m. It goes up to about £17m if we win the League or the CL with him.

From that old contract off Roma's site, isn't payment two going now? And didn't Rafa and others call him a 30m RATED player bought on the cheap?

Seems easier to call him a 5m signing though ;)

We will pay £17M for him and it can potentially raise to £20M.

Guest ian garro
A lot of it is brought on by the obsession with money, in my opinion. People see Rafa constantly complaining about a lack of money so that when he does go out and spend £20M on a player, they expect him to be really good straight away.

It's not fair, but when people have been fed so much stuff about money being the be all and end all, then it's something which shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

So, in essence then, people moaning at a player who has yet to play 10 games for the club, but who people have already labelled as a "disastrous signing", is Rafas fault ?

I do't give a shit how much we paid for him, I'd like to see him succeed here, and I don't see how giving him abuse at the game will help him achieve that. There have always been scape goats at the club, it's just that from what I remember, we used to be good at at least giving players a chance to prove themselves.

Less than 10 games for the club, after near enough 2 years of injuries, thrust into a side woefully short of confidence, and he's a disaster....

So, in essence then, people moaning at a player who has yet to play 10 games for the club, but who people have already labelled as a "disastrous signing", is Rafas fault ?

I do't give a shit how much we paid for him, I'd like to see him succeed here, and I don't see how giving him abuse at the game will help him achieve that. There have always been scape goats at the club, it's just that from what I remember, we used to be good at at least giving players a chance to prove themselves.

Less than 10 games for the club, after near enough 2 years of injuries, thrust into a side woefully short of confidence, and he's a disaster....

As i said, it's not fair but when money becomes an obsession to people, they start looking at a players price tag rather than his ability. I'm actually agreeing with you!

I'm just offering an explanation as to why it happens.

whether or not Aquaman will come good or not does not justify Rafa targeting an injured player as his 'star' summer signing

i know he thought he was getting a 'bargain' but once again it just illustrates that Rafa has a bit of a blind spot when it comes to strikers and wingers

the money would have been better spent on a Silva type or even a Villa type

as has been said all along with Aquaman you won't know just how good he is until next season - and that is only if he remains injury free