You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry but Gerrard is absolutely wasted in the role higher up the pitch if we aren't controlling games.

Against Everton he was not fully involved and was feeding off scraps.

I just can't see how Benitez can justify playing Lucas in centre midfield over Gerarrd. It doesn't make sense to me.

If we are controlling games and having loads of possession (which occured when Alonso was here)... then yes, Gerrard thrives in the freedom and that role.

However Lucas is no Alonso! We aren't controlling all games and to see a player of Gerarrd's quality not fully involved in games is terribly frustrating.

Against Everton they were the better team and had more possession. But Gerrard couldn't influence from the centre of midfield with his energy, speed, tackling and ability on the ball.

Our centre midfield lacks quality on the ball and I can never see how Mascherano / Lucas partnership can be justified, when Gerrard is fit.

If we have an Alonso (or hopefyully Aquilani)... then fine, play Gerrard higher up the field. But otherwise, Gerrard should be in the centre of midfield!

The end!

Edited by LFD

We've won every game Gerrard has played in centre midfield.

That certainly isn't the case when he hasn't played that role.

- Was it really worth negging me for my last post Hamstrung? Do you disagree?

I thought yesterday Gerrard looked fucked and in all fairness playing two holding midfielders in Lucas and Mascherano was the right thing to do.

We got 3 points therefore success.

The problem we have at the moment is the problem we have had all season and that is to put Gerrard in the centre you would presume Yossi then supporting the striker.

Great plan and one i would go for but its getting the players fit and on the pitch at the same time.

Gerrard's best position is central midfield where he is constantly involved, over the last two seasons because of the players we had it was better for the team not to play him there.

The problem this season for Gerrard is that we have nobody who can pick out a pass to the forward players to play them in, only Benayoun is capable and he is usually one of the most forward players. It's no use Gerrard playing so far forward if he doesn't get the ball. Until Aquilani is fit and when Mascherano goes he has to play CM.

I thought yesterday Gerrard looked fucked and in all fairness playing two holding midfielders in Lucas and Mascherano was the right thing to do.

We got 3 points therefore success.

The problem we have at the moment is the problem we have had all season and that is to put Gerrard in the centre you would presume Yossi then supporting the striker.

Great plan and one i would go for but its getting the players fit and on the pitch at the same time.

Fair point Coop, but even if everyone got fit, I don't think Rafa would play Gerrard in CM. He actually believes in Lucas/Mascherano partnership for whatever reason.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not slating Lucas here. He tries his best but even at their best, we wouldn't get anything creative or game control out of those 2 midfielders. They are there to break up play and that is about it.

However, having looked at Gerrard yesterday, I'm not even sure if he should be on the pitch. He looked completely fucked and is clearly struggling with an injury.

No Torres go 4-4-2. That's my motto and I'm sticking by it.

Gerrard or Aquilani in the middle with Masch or Lucas. Even put Gerrard on the right if you want Aquilani in the team, he did win the PFA award playing there and scored and created a shit load of goals. Why has he never played there since?

There has been a number of times when the best option would of been putting him inside right, he doesn't have to play their regularly but sometimes it would of been the best thing for the team.

Fair point Coop, but even if everyone got fit, I don't think Rafa would play Gerrard in CM. He actually believes in Lucas/Mascherano partnership for whatever reason.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not slating Lucas here. He tries his best but even at their best, we wouldn't get anything creative or game control out of those 2 midfielders. They are there to break up play and that is about it.

However, having looked at Gerrard yesterday, I'm not even sure if he should be on the pitch. He looked completely fucked and is clearly struggling with an injury.

If everyone was 100% then either Lucas or Mascherano would be on the bench.

Gerrard i doubt would be in the centre and would still be used as an attacking midfielder but will be getting supplied the ball via Aquilani.

Rafa himself has said he see's Aquilani playing in a role between Mascherano and Gerrard and i would imagine thats the way he will go when we shortly have a clean bill of health.

Even put Gerrard on the right if you want Aquilani in the team, he did win the PFA award playing there and scored and created a shit load of goals. Why has he never played there since?

Because everyone said he was wasted on the right... a campaign started by Gray, Keys and Redknapp.

Gerrard wasn't fit yesterday. And when he got the ball, he looked awful. The only contribution he made yesterday was to win the ball for the 2nd goal.

Everytime he got the ball (which was not enough)... he was surrounded by blue shirts, so he had to pass the ball simply.

He was fit enough to run at lunge at Baines full stretch. He was fit enough to be sprinting around (only not to get the ball, due to the incapacity of Lucas / Mascherano)... he was merely feeding off scraps.

If he drops deep into midfield, then people say he isn't supporting Ngog and the youngster is isololated, so he had to stay high up the field rather than drop deep to get on the ball. Plus if he's dropping deep all the time, what is the point in having Lucas in the team? Surely it is his job to get us playing and make us tick?!

I don't care if Gerrard was or wasn't fully fit yesterday. I personally don't think it is an issue, as Rafa would still have played the Lucas / Mascherano partnership and Gerrard would still have been feeding off scraps.

Such a waste and bloody frustrating!

He wasn't fit, he was scared to stretch for the ball incase he done his injury any more damage.

Did you not see his tackle on Baines?

Didn't look scared to stretch to me.