You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

That pass to Degan was absolute brilliance last night.

Indeed. Then Degen demonstrated spectacularly why Gerrard might be a tad disillusioned with to gulf in quality. If it's not Degen, it's Kuyt, Babel or Ngog.

Make a brilliant pass to find a team mate in space, them make a lung-bursting run into the penalty area to receive the return pass. Oops, your colleague has taken 10 seconds to get the ball under control then run into trouble and been easily dispossessed. Now the opposition has the ball, play is rapidly moving towards the Liverpool goal and you're blowing hard from the run.

Indeed. Then Degen demonstrated spectacularly why Gerrard might be a tad disillusioned with to gulf in quality. If it's not Degen, it's Kuyt, Babel or Ngog.

Make a brilliant pass to find a team mate in space, them make a lung-bursting run into the penalty area to receive the return pass. Oops, your colleague has taken 10 seconds to get the ball under control then run into trouble and been easily dispossessed. Now the opposition has the ball, play is rapidly moving towards the Liverpool goal and you're blowing hard from the run.

I agree with that to a certain degree, but Gerrard has been equally culpable in the past few months!

Last night, good move and a chance to play Lucas in on goal and he fucked it up.

Degen is fourth choice at right back, Gerrard isnt. Not saying he is wrong, but I'm getting fed up watching Gerrard stroll through the matches with a face on him at the moment, not sure if it is the role and the lack of Torres or because he is out of form.

I agree with that to a certain degree, but Gerrard has been equally culpable in the past few months!

Last night, good move and a chance to play Lucas in on goal and he fucked it up.

Degen is fourth choice at right back, Gerrard isnt. Not saying he is wrong, but I'm getting fed up watching Gerrard stroll through the matches with a face on him at the moment, not sure if it is the role and the lack of Torres or because he is out of form.

It is most likely because of the reasons Stringvest has stated.

It is most likely because of the reasons Stringvest has stated.

I am aware of that, and as I have stated he isn't exactly leading from the front is he!

Oh look the team is shite, so I can't be arsed!

He has been poor, not by his standards poor, just poor for a few months.

Don't fuck up a simple pass on goal and then get the hump with another player who fucks up later in the match.

I am aware of that, and as I have stated he isn't exactly leading from the front is he!

Don't fuck up a simple pass on goal and then get the hump with another player who fucks up later in the match.

His starting position isn't giving him enough opportunity to get hold of the ball. It can't be easy trying to alter the course of a match when you're not seeing much of the ball.

That pass to Degan was absolute brilliance last night.

It was however his 190 mph pass to Maxi (I think) who was 10 yards away and had no space or time to control it, on the left wing was the ying to that passes yang.

Those sort of passes that he attempts really frustrate me, there is no need to do them whatsoever.

Put in a good shift in places last night did Steven.

The lad has CARRIED us for seasons together in the past.

This season, he is playing with some unbelievably mediocre players in shit form. It is not really a surprise Gerrard is sulking at times.

People defend Rafa by pointing at the owners, lack of cash etc. Shouldn't the same be applied to Gerrard too? Seeing as he is playing with shite players (or some decent players with shite form) around him week in week out.

I feel sorry for him, he was clearly unfit for lots of games but still had to play because we were well and truly shite.

It was however his 190 mph pass to Maxi (I think) who was 10 yards away and had no space or time to control it, on the left wing was the ying to that passes yang.

Those sort of passes that he attempts really frustrate me, there is no need to do them whatsoever.

Put in a good shift in places last night did Steven.

Haha! you're right - he does that when he's trying to inject some urgency. He realises that to make a successful pass in a confined area you often have to play it quickly and hard in order to surprise the opposition and to give your teammate enough time to make his own pass.

That one last night did take the piss though.

We all know it makes sense to put him there, or even on the right as I have previously suggested, but Rafa Benitez won't play him there because Steven Gerrard is footballer who likes express himself, take gambles into the box, and generally try things out of the ordinary, and therefore Benitez is never going to play him in centre mid. He wants robots who adhere to his negative gameplans.

We all know it makes sense to put him there, or even on the right as I have previously suggested, but Rafa Benitez won't play him there because Steven Gerrard is footballer who likes express himself, take gambles into the box, and generally try things out of the ordinary, and therefore Benitez is never going to play him in centre mid. He wants robots who adhere to his negative gameplans.

Just like Capello then.

His starting position isn't giving him enough opportunity to get hold of the ball. It can't be easy trying to alter the course of a match when you're not seeing much of the ball.

I agree, not sure whether his lack of form is down to the current players (I suspect he can only play that role with Nando) or would it continue if we put him in the middle.

The lad has CARRIED us for seasons together in the past.

This season, he is playing with some unbelievably mediocre players in shit form. It is not really a surprise Gerrard is sulking at times.

People defend Rafa by pointing at the owners, lack of cash etc. Shouldn't the same be applied to Gerrard too? Seeing as he is playing with shite players (or some decent players with shite form) around him week in week out.

I feel sorry for him, he was clearly unfit for lots of games but still had to play because we were well and truly shite.

The bit in bold concerns Gerrard at the moment, and in all fairness has done for most of this season.

Your comparison is not really relevant, since I am suggesting Rafa's ability to do his job has been hampered by the state of the club, he isn't adding to it by shrugging his shoulders and sulking.

If Gerrard is pissed off, then he has to go, since things are not going to change in the summer and I don't want him here if that is the case.

John Barness carried Liverpool for ages as well, didn't mean he was free from criticism.

People were incredibly quick to jump on Carraghers back at the start of the season, look at how he has performed to how Gerrard has performed, both have been immense these past five years and both have contributed towards the success that we have (2005 owed more to Carragher then Gerrard in my opinion). Carragher has been running through brick walls these past two months.

Which leads me to think that there is something else up with Gerrard, I don't know what, but there is definately something up because he is not playing well. He looks to me like a player playing himself back into form, slowley but surely, but he needs to kick the sulking into touch.

The bit in bold concerns Gerrard at the moment, and in all fairness has done for most of this season.

Your comparison is not really relevant, since I am suggesting Rafa's ability to do his job has been hampered by the state of the club, he isn't adding to it by shrugging his shoulders and sulking.

If Gerrard is pissed off, then he has to go, since things are not going to change in the summer and I don't want him here if that is the case.

John Barness carried Liverpool for ages as well, didn't mean he was free from criticism.

People were incredibly quick to jump on Carraghers back at the start of the season, look at how he has performed to how Gerrard has performed, both have been immense these past five years and both have contributed towards the success that we have (2005 owed more to Carragher then Gerrard in my opinion). Carragher has been running through brick walls these past two months.

Which leads me to think that there is something else up with Gerrard, I don't know what, but there is definately something up because he is not playing well. He looks to me like a player playing himself back into form, slowley but surely, but he needs to kick the sulking into touch.

Rafa may not be sulking but at least we don't get the "Gerrard to Chelsea" stories anymore. We do get the "Rafa to Juventus" stories and how Rafa is "flattered" by their interest. Rafa has his own way of "sulking".

No one is saying Gerrard or Barnes or Carragher or anyone is immune from criticism. But they are also humans - just like Rafael Benitez. Hence my comparison.

I think you are looking too much into Gerrard these days. He certainly isn't playing as bad as you are making out. He is not very good, granted, but the fact that the team, as a whole, is shit, Gerrard looks average too.

As I said, I won't be surprised if Gerrard is thinking "what the fuck is going to happen if I burst my lung, run 40 yards and then make a simple pass to Babel? He is going to fucking lose it anyway". Is this sulking? Probably yes. Is this the right thing to do? No. But surely you can understand the reasoning at least?

He deserves to have 1 or 2 good shots at winning the league with better players around him. It is not his fault that Kuyt goes missing for 4 months a season, Babel being a shithouse and N'Gog not being good.

He deserves to have 1 or 2 good shots at winning the league with better players around him. It is not his fault that Kuyt goes missing for 4 months a season, Babel being a shithouse and N'Gog not being good.

And it is not there fault they are not as good as Gerrard either!

Sorry but, Fowler, McMannaman, Carragher, Hypia, Hamman, Reina etc are all as deserving of a league championship as well, just because Gerrard is better than them doesn't mean he can be a stroppy twat and we shrugg and think 'oh but the poor lamb, look at the shite he is playing with'

Fowler played alongside Ruddock and Leonhardsen, Hypia played alongside Xavier and Traore, Hamman alongside Diao and Diouf. None of them played alongside anybody as good as Nando though!

I am worried about Gerrard. And I really hope that it is just a lack of form at the moment, even (although this will piss me off) that he is saving himself for the world cup. I hope this is the case and he isn't becoming dissolussioned.

But the fact remains, playing like he has been and with his recent attitude is not helping anybody.

Getting away from the point, he should be in the middle, that ball out to Degen was sublime and is what we have been missing. Not having the arguments about his defensive side, United played Scholes in centre mid for years, and Gerrard has much more to his game than him.

And it is not there fault they are not as good as Gerrard either!

Sorry but, Fowler, McMannaman, Carragher, Hypia, Hamman, Reina etc are all as deserving of a league championship as well, just because Gerrard is better than them doesn't mean he can be a stroppy twat and we shrugg and think 'oh but the poor lamb, look at the shite he is playing with'

Fowler played alongside Ruddock and Leonhardsen, Hypia played alongside Xavier and Traore, Hamman alongside Diao and Diouf. None of them played alongside anybody as good as Nando though!

I am worried about Gerrard. And I really hope that it is just a lack of form at the moment, even (although this will piss me off) that he is saving himself for the world cup. I hope this is the case and he isn't becoming dissolussioned.

But the fact remains, playing like he has been and with his recent attitude is not helping anybody.

Getting away from the point, he should be in the middle, that ball out to Degen was sublime and is what we have been missing. Not having the arguments about his defensive side, United played Scholes in centre mid for years, and Gerrard has much more to his game than him.

I didn't say it was Babel's or N'Gog's fault. Although I know whose fault it is.

Yes, the players you have mentioned deserve a championship medal. And I'm not saying what Gerrard (if he is indeed sulking) is doing is right. All I'm saying is, different players react differently. May be Gerrard looks at Lucas and thinks "why the fuck can I not play in CM?". Or may be he looks at Aquilani and thinks "why the hell the manager spunked £20m on him?" or may be he looks at the owners and thinks "why the hell they can't die tonight?". Or may be he thinks some of the players we have are fucking useless. Just like us.

May be these thoughts in his head are messing him up. Is it right? Of course not. But, as I said, at least I understand his probable reasons.

As you said, the ball to Degen was an unbelievable pass - the pace, elevation (or lack of) and direction. But look what happened? If Scholes had made that pass to Valencia or Evra or Giggs or Rooney or even Wes fucking Brown, something would have happened. At least a cross into the box, they would have at least kept the ball in the attacking 3rd. But not Degen. Not Babel. Not Kuyt. Even when they keep the ball, they keep it for too long so the opposition can get back into their shape.

As you said, the ball to Degen was an unbelievable pass - the pace, elevation (or lack of) and direction. But look what happened? If Scholes had made that pass to Valencia or Evra or Giggs or Rooney or even Wes fucking Brown, something would have happened. At least a cross into the box, they would have at least kept the ball in the attacking 3rd. But not Degen. Not Babel. Not Kuyt. Even when they keep the ball, they keep it for too long so the opposition can get back into their shape.

Degen is probably fourth choice though!

By and large he will be making that pass out wide to either Johnson or Kelly, last night he should have be doing it to Carragher.

The squad depth is a problem, nobody can argue against that but if (big if) he is getting annoyed at squad players lack of ability he isn't helping.

Degen is probably fourth choice though!

By and large he will be making that pass out wide to either Johnson or Kelly, last night he should have be doing it to Carragher.

The squad depth is a problem, nobody can argue against that but if (big if) he is getting annoyed at squad players lack of ability he isn't helping.

You are talking as if the first 11 was setting the world alight this season!!

I just don't understand the reluctance to play him back in midfield when Torres is out and give Ngog some support. He might not be as gritty as Lucas but he offers a lot more drive and incisive passing, which instantly makes the opposition step back, and we look far more potent going forward, even if it's at the expense of a rigid central midfield.

I thought he was quality against Arsenal and if he'd had better support his movement and link up play would have been more appreciated.

Thought Gerrard was poor today, but Rafa is playing him in the wrong position.

He's mostly having his back to goal in this role and it doesn't suit his game, plus minus Torres he doesn't have a striker who he can feed through balls to... not to mention being isolated at times.

I know I keep going on about it, but he needs to be in the centre of midfield as he's oiur best player and should be central to all our play.

He's mostly having his back to goal in this role and it doesn't suit his game, plus minus Torres he doesn't have a striker who he can feed through balls to... not to mention being isolated at times.

I know I keep going on about it, but he needs to be in the centre of midfield as he's oiur best player and should be central to all our play.

He was terrible, but most of it is down to your point number two, as he is below average in that position....

His attitude yesterday was shit, how many times did he sulk and throw his arms in the air when he felt his teamtes did a mistake...

He played as an inspirational captain against Everton, yesterday he was a sulking primadonna!!!

Only a blind man can seriously argue for using Gerrard in this position whan we struggle to create from midfield!!!

He was terrible, but most of it is down to your point number two, as he is below average in that position....

His attitude yesterday was shit, how many times did he sulk and throw his arms in the air when he felt his teamtes did a mistake...

He played as an inspirational captain against Everton, yesterday he was a sulking primadonna!!!

Only a blind man can seriously argue for using Gerrard in this position whan we struggle to create from midfield!!!

Do you really blame him for sulking? He's been surrounded by shite for years, and this year we've taken a step back. Look at the players around him: Lucas offers nothing, Mascherano is a defensive midfielder who is restricted from going forward, Aquilani is made of glass, Kuyt "works hard", NGog is shite, Insua is woeful, Riera's got the first touch of an elephant and Carragher is hardly your marauding full-back.

He's got absolutely no support in front of him and I feel sorry for him because he deserves much better than the pile of wank being played with him.

I agree with that. And it also ties in with our need to play a more attacking game. Gerrard should now be at the heart of everything we create; his passing range and ability far outclasses anybody else we have at the club and that talent should be utilised. Okay, you may take away the 'partnership' aspect of his game with Torres, but the understanding will still be there, Torres' unreal ability will still be there and Gerrard will always be able to find him with that killer pass- he'd just be doing it from deeper that's all.

Putting Gerrard back in the middle would therefore negate the need for both Mascherano and Lucas in the same eleven. Now, as people are aware, I am one of Lucas' supporters, so this is not a slight on him- but quite clearly Mascherano is the better holding midfielder and he would be my choice to go alongside Gerrard in the centre. Mascherano has been putting some damn good shifts in of late, and Benitez needn't worry about him being overworked; he seems to have been eating the same cereal that Kuyt has to make him run all fucking day.

Which obviously would raise the problem of our attacking options, which at first glance would seem incredibly weak- but actually it isn't too bad:

Firstly, Rafa has no qualms about playing Ngog up top, but clearly the lad isn't a lone striker. From what I have seen, he needs a partner up front to ease the burden. And what better striker to learn the trade from than the best in the business? Fowler learnt a hell of a lot from playing up front with Rush, so why not Ngog learning off Torres? I know a lot of people will point out that Torres may prefer to play up top alone, but this is for the good of the team.

Secondly, although opinion is divided, our very own footballing marmite Kuyt is a striker by trade, so play him up front with Torres. Of late, Dirk has been a brilliant target man; a real focal point for the team with his workrate and strength. He may provide a decent foil for Torres. That leaves the right hand side- well Benayoun is back, and Maxi was brought in for something- why not the right midfeld slot?

Obviously these scenarios will probably never happen. But we desperately need creativity in midfield, and that means Gerrard playing there. I have said it often enough, the lad is the complete footballer, and know he needs to be where he can influence the entire game, from dictating the play to supporting the front men.

Something along the lines of this would be a good team in my eyes and a match for any team in the division:

Reina

Johnson (Kelly as the deputy, not that Swiss herbert. I'd have rather us signed a cuckoo clock)

Agger

Carragher

Aurelio (Insua is not good enough. Simple as that.)

Maxi

Gerrard

Mascherano

Benayoun

Kuyt

Torres

There is also scope there to play Aquilani or Benayoun just behind Torres.