You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read in a sunday paper that Robin Van Persie is negotiating terms with Arsenal over a new contract' date=' they have offerd him £70,000 a week but he wants closer to £90,000 a week, and according to that he could go for around £8m. Now i dont know about anyone else, but ide have him, he can play on the left, the right, up front (cover for torres), just behind the striker (cover for gerrard), he takes freekicks, penaltys, corners, now if that is true and he is available at that price i think that would be a great signing. [b']Any1[/b] else agree ?

negged, no text speak

Transfers

Lets say we will sell xabi(I hope we dont) but maybe we have to....

We have £20m from owners

£ 21-23m from Xabi

£ 15-20 from Dossena, Insua, Babel and some others

Thats a total of £55-63m in total to spend

We can get £15m Silva

£26m Tevez

£10m Barry

£10-15m Johnson

In general we will improove greatly imo ....

what do you think?

English players are expensive, we need to hope we are the only big club in for him and then get him to do the work to get the price down. If it doesn't stop us getting our other targets and we have to pay 15 million then so be it. We need to realise if you want a player you have to pay a premium as united have done for years. Do they give a flying fuck how much any of their players cost, of course not as they win the title nearly every year. A few english players have moved recently - Carrick was 18, hargreaves, 20, cole about 20, bent 16.5. I think 15 is high but if that is what is required and it doesn't stop us getting other targets then do it. We need to get out of this mindset where we offer paltry sums then cry when we get outbid and then have to go and get second and third choices which are still 7-10 million anyway.

Not according to Brownie here; now Ian has been wrong before, I think, but its not as balck and white as people make out. This thread is from April last year, with many suggesting Xabi was a good player, but not up to it.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/60459-its-barry.html#post1104061

Yet Dave U has said on here he spoke to one of the players who said Xabi wanted to go nowhere.

Why do you think anybody needs to cover up the behaviour of the manager last summer?

Rafa was right, Alonso had not performed at all the previous two seasons, hence why he has been so good this year, and more importantly why people are noticing how good he has been this year!

If people stopped getting excited about the 60 yards balls, perfectly executed when he has half an hour to set it up, they might have noticed a lot average performances from Alonso, injuries or not, it was a perfectly accepteable decision to look to replace him with Barry, and maybe if some fans took their heads out of their condescending arses once in a while they might accept that!

however I get the impression most would rather wear their 'Alonso is god' badges as a sign of superiority!

some would say.

dunno who you were watching, but as much as Alonso was below his own high standards, Alonso on a poor day is still a better player than Barry at his peak. Barry is a limited aging player, who looks OK in a limited side. If he was taking Lucas' position in the squad, I'd say you had a point, but to think he is remotely near Alonso, even during those 2 years I think is just plain wrong. Anyway we've had this discussion a few times before, so let's agree to disagree.

Alonso on a poor day is still a better player than Barry at his peak.

I disagree. Especially in the premier league.

I don't want Alonso to go, but if Rafa makes that decision it's one he'll live or die by.

Now can we have no further discussion on the subject? Please?:whistle:

Although I am against the thought of selling Alonso, generally. I do think we'd be a better side should we bring in Silva, Tevez, Johnson and Barry.

Rafa must really be worried about the lack of english players in our squad, and how that could effect us with new rulings and what not

if this was 4 years ago, i dont think he'd even consider Barry and Johnson

15m for a right back? Rafa could get Srna, whos a better more experienced player, for half that price.

I just dont understand why hes going for him. Johnson is good, very good, but the only place where he outvalues Srna is cause hes younger

Srna is the captain for his side, and now his national team.

That is also why i think hes gone for Barry.

A team of captains.

I just hope Johnson is a smokescreen because as good as he is and could be, hes not worth 15m when Srna would go for 8m.

So a Liverpool spokes person has said "Alonso is not for sale"?

That's the end of the matter for me now, I'll hold my hands up and apologise as I have got this totally wrong about Xabi going.

atk, apologies but i can't work out your tone here. Are being sarcastic, or are you genuinely admitting you were 'totally wrong'? And if the latter, perhaps you'd like to enlighten us now where your info came from and why you were so adamant he was leaving?

atk, apologies but i can't work out your tone here. Are being sarcastic, or are you genuinely admitting you were 'totally wrong'? And if the latter, perhaps you'd like to enlighten us now where your info came from and why you were so adamant he was leaving?

I'll give you a hand... his tone it one of contemptuous sarcasm.