You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"Justice for the 96"

Wor Horse

Shoot me down if you wish, call me stupid, but am I alone in thinking this should be incorporated into more matches then it is?

Obviously it's on banners and that but the song could get an airing during EVERY game, all year round, like after YNWA at the end or something?

They won't forget if we don't let them.

I'm not fucking the support off either, we're the best fans in the world, it's just an idea.

N.B: If i've somehow dropped a bollock with this and it's totally out of the question, just delete it.

YNWA // JFT96.

That's the first time I've heard "Tragedy", it doesn't get played before games.

On the JFT 96 chants, it could get a few rounds at every game, but I think if we save it for certain games, it will be more effective, as it will be louder and more feeling could go into it. It definitely needs to be aired more than it is now, especially now that Brown knows we're angry at him.

It certainly should be aired more, but I also think we should be careful not to make it "just another chant" that is heard 10 times at every game, and in the pub, etc. This chant has massive meaning and significance and should be used when appropriate to make the most impact. I.e. Big games against the Top 4 that will be prime viewing around the world, etc.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
That's the first time I've heard "Tragedy", it doesn't get played before games.

On the JFT 96 chants, it could get a few rounds at every game, but I think if we save it for certain games, it will be more effective, as it will be louder and more feeling could go into it. It definitely needs to be aired more than it is now, especially now that Brown knows we're angry at him.

It's been sang every year for the past few years by Lee Roy James

I actually think it's a bit crap, but there you go

Also thought it was a bit off that Neal McHale got shoved out by Gerry Marsden just because the cameras were there

Sorry if it's going against the majority and without wanting to offend anyone, but I was more than slightly dissapointed by the service yesterday.

I thought it was supposed to be a memorial, not a day out, sadly, it seems like I was in the minority.

We'll see how many turn up next year

I could go on, but I fear that it won't come across as I intend

I know exactly what you're saying. I was there last year, but couldn't be there this year. Last year was the only time I've even been and was a respectful and eye opening event in the way a memorial should be. This year seemed to be a bit more of a "show". I didn't like how Marsden acted, nor the big cheering for the players and some other chants. I suppose it was always going to be like that because of the massive press coverage. So it's taking the good with the bad maybe. I would imagine next year it'll be back to a few thousand again. Certainly with no politicians.

I'm not from Liverpool and know no one who died, although I've met people who were there and know people who died, so maybe I'm completely missing the point. Just my opinion anyway and not meant to upset or offend anyone.

JFT96

That Tragedy song does sound awful, to be honest.

It sounds forced and contrived to get the appropriate words in, but just doesn't hang together properly. No melody or harmony, or anything to entice anyone to sing it. The right intentions and emotions are there, as mentioned, though

I've seen "Tragedy" named as the "Hillsborough Anthem", but this must be unofficial right?

The idea of chanting "Justice for the 96" at 3.06 is the best suggestion so far imo. It has to be at the same time every time or else it will be "just another chant" like someone said earlier. Or maybe there should be a banner counting the days without justice at rolled out at every game? Getting the media (except for the unmentionable) on board for a real campaign would be crucial as well.

I've seen "Tragedy" named as the "Hillsborough Anthem", but this must be unofficial right?

The idea of chanting "Justice for the 96" at 3.06 is the best suggestion so far imo. It has to be at the same time every time or else it will be "just another chant" like someone said earlier. Or maybe there should be a banner counting the days without justice at rolled out at every game? Getting the media (except for the unmentionable) on board for a real campaign would be crucial as well.

Liking that idea. It was either Hicks or the Mayor that said the number of days that had passed yesterday, and for a mere number, it sure hit me hard.

That Tragedy song does sound awful' date=' to be honest.

It sounds forced and contrived to get the appropriate words in, but just doesn't hang together properly. No melody or harmony, or anything to entice anyone to sing it. The right intentions and emotions are there, as mentioned, though[/quote']

I seem to remember he wrote it himself and is neither a red or (to the best of my knowledge) a football fan. Just someone who was moved by it all, to do something. As you and Tom have said, the sentiment is there and thats the main thing.

Also thought it was a bit off that Neal McHale got shoved out by Gerry Marsden just because the cameras were there

Sorry if it's going against the majority and without wanting to offend anyone, but I was more than slightly dissapointed by the service yesterday.

I thought it was supposed to be a memorial, not a day out, sadly, it seems like I was in the minority.

I know where you're coming from. It was a really charged atmosphere and it was always going to be different to previous years due to it being televised on all the news channels.

I hope there are similar numbers at next years memorial as we should be remembering the 96 every year with same numbers that were present yesterday.

I fully agree with you when you say it is supposed to be a memorial and yesterday had a different feeling about it.

Some parts of yesterdays service was top notch and a lovely way of remembering those we have lost but there was parts that I was not comfortable with.

Personally i believe that Liverpool should have the number 96 stictched onto all shirts, for the rest of time. Just some form of gesture maybe on the sleeve in a slightly different colour of red saying 96.

If the club openly show some form of rememberance its impossible for people to forget and new fans not to ask the question what the number 96 means.

Personally i believe that Liverpool should have the number 96 stictched onto all shirts, for the rest of time. Just some form of gesture maybe on the sleeve in a slightly different colour of red saying 96.

If the club openly show some form of rememberance its impossible for people to forget and new fans not to ask the question what the number 96 means.

The flame on the crest is an open form of remembrance.

Also in relation to chants yesterday, I can only remember the crowd singing "We Love You Liverpool We Do" after Trevor Hicks said they did us proud against Chelsea. I for one thought it was a show of appreciation for the players for the night before to applaud so rapturously and when you have 12,000 football fans attempting to convey emotion to their team the best way to that is through song. I was moved by the show of unity at that time.

Why do some people have to find fault or negative with everything we do?

Honestly, take the moment for what it was. The Memorial was to celebrate the lives however short they may have been for the 96 and also remember them and the tragic event of that day. It was also a day to show the powers that be that we havent forgotten, will never forget and still want justice.

Let's not consume ourselves with minutia of which parts we liked, which parts we didnt. Sieze the moment to speak with one voice on one subject that matters, the 96.

I had felt this but didnt if im honest have the stones to post it. My feeling was there were people there who thought they were on a day out, i felt uneasy when peoples names were being sung, not that I disagree with people singing Kennys name I just didnt feel yesterday was the right time to do so.

Edited by NickConklin
mis type

I had felt this but didnt if im honest have the stones to post it. My feeling was there were people there who thought they were on a day out, i felt uneasy when peoples names were being sung, not that I disagree with people singing Kennys name I just didnt feel yesterday was the right time to do so.

It wasn't just sung as an ex-player or manager though. It was sung as the great man who did everything in his power to help the families and survivors.