You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Martin O'Neill

Red Jersey

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wise words, all. I have never understood why so many Reds slag him off and/or don't rate him. His teams play more exciting football than we've usually played over the last ten years or so, too.

Its amazing how so many here hate his style of football when in reality it is better than ours.

Another manager not happy with the handling of his players fitness for the England cause. The paragraph in bold made me chuckle. Obviously O'Neill doesn't know Heskey's history about playing in a bit of discomfort.

O'Neill angry over Heskey start

Heskey played for 48 minutes of England's friendly with Spain

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill is seeking talks with England coach Fabio Capello over why striker Emile Heskey played against Spain on Wednesday.

Heskey, 31, suffered an Achilles injury against Blackburn but was declared fit to start by England medical staff.

However, he limped off after 48 minutes in Seville and is now a doubt for Sunday's FA Cup tie with Everton.

"I have spoken to the England doctor and voiced some concerns and I will speak to the manager," said O'Neill.

"Knowing Emile, he would have wanted to have gone down there and played in a bit of discomfort but I was surprised he played considering he wouldn't have been fully fit.

"If you are fully fit to play, I don't have a problem and you take your chance. If you have been suffering from something a couple of days before, then I think a bit of care should be taken.

"Emile has come back, he didn't train on Friday, the Achilles is particularly sore at this minute. If the game was this minute, he couldn't play.

"It was a friendly international at the end of it all. I can understand it if it was a qualifying game because they are very important to the well-being of the country."

Its amazing how so many here hate his style of football when in reality it is better than ours.

Well once someone gets a reputation it's nearly impossible for it to shift. People get an idea in their heads and it sticks.

Whenever I've seen them this season they haven't played any more long balls than anyone else and they can play some very good stuff. Away from home they're set up brilliantly as they're well organised and have plenty of pace for quick breakaways.

It's unfair for people to criticise their style of play. They might not always be entertaining or constantly play 1 and 2 touch football but there isn't ANY team who does. They're certainly not a bunch of cloggers either.

As for O'Neill himself, I want to hate him. But I can't. I used to despise him but worryingly I'm starting to like him more and more.

Well once someone gets a reputation it's nearly impossible for it to shift. People get an idea in their heads and it sticks.

Whenever I've seen them this season they haven't played any more long balls than anyone else and they can play some very good stuff. Away from home they're set up brilliantly as they're well organised and have plenty of pace for quick breakaways.

It's unfair for people to criticise their style of play. They might not always be entertaining or constantly play 1 and 2 touch football but there isn't ANY team who does. They're certainly not a bunch of cloggers either.

As for O'Neill himself, I want to hate him. But I can't. I used to despise him but worryingly I'm starting to like him more and more.

Let's face it, they play very direct fotball, knocking it long at every opportunity. There's a reason why O'Neill is Egil "Drillo" Olsen's favourite current manager.

The style can be perceived as entertaining when you've got a bit of flow and things are going well. It's when you get found out and the long balls become less and less effective that the crowd grow restless and things really start going down hill. And it's hard to break loose from that.

I'd imagine him whining like a little bitch during the Barry saga has a lot to do with it.

In-fricking-deed.

The story was leaked in the Echo, and then He literally came out everyday with new comments about how Rafa should stop talking about Barry in public, for about 3 weeks.

And oh- its easy to play "pretty-looking" football when teams actually want to play against you. They play pacey counter-attacking football and its a good game-plan that works, and you can't begrudge them for that.

But if you think "MON" could come here and make us play like that, you're deluded.

Let's face it, they play very direct fotball, knocking it long at every opportunity. There's a reason why O'Neill is Egil "Drillo" Olsen's favourite current manager.

The style can be perceived as entertaining when you've got a bit of flow and things are going well. It's when you get found out and the long balls become less and less effective that the crowd grow restless and things really start going down hill. And it's hard to break loose from that.

How would you describe how we play mate? Be interesting to know. I agree with you about Villa by the way...

Never known a manager before him who can make footballers play so far ahead of their actual ability. Makes his clubs money too by making shit players look great and getting decent prices for them. Particularly centre halves and defensive midfielders.

I'd love him to come here because if he could inspire some of our players to give that bit more then we'd be unstoppable and I don't think he'd want to spend much either as there's enough in the squad currently for him to work with. Might even make Babel look good.

On an unrelated note: is code72 autistic?

How would you describe how we play mate? Be interesting to know. I agree with you about Villa by the way...

We're a step up, but revert to hoofing when time is running out, or we're in a bad run of form. One of our CB's is very culpable in this department.

But I wasn't really saying that we don't use the direct option as well, we can be absolutely horrible to watch. But it would be stupid to think that we'd get more entertaining fotball with O'Neill. If anything he'd bring in players more suited to the style, and thus making that style of play more effective for us. I doubt Rafa views long, high balls to Torres as an integral part of his attacking plan.