You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool make £10m bid for Gareth Barry

If we get Barry, I might put money on Gerrard for player of the year. Gerrard will love playing with him, I have a feeling that he'll try his hardest to impress one of his best mates even more.

Very shrewd point. This is a signing aimed at getting the best out of Gerrard.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I thought I really didnt want Barry, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Hes a great player (you dont get in the england team above carrick and hargreaves if your not), plays great with gerrard, isnt afraid to get get himself dirty and doesnt shit out of tackles, is quick and mobile, good set pieces, can score goals, is proven in the premiership. I wouldnt mind him for 10-12m. Plus Carson, Crouch or Riise (who have all been linked to villa) may fancy a move there and a part ex deal done.

I wouldnt be happy to see Xabi go, but Im sure he will want his kid to grow up in Spain, (I presume its the type of thing any dad would want, his kid brought up around family). Hes doing the right thing saying he wants to stay as that means we can negotiate a price for him, but I see xabi back in la liga next season.

what about insua, jens?

i hope he wont turn out to be like Pennant, Kuyt and Bennayoun. They were above average for their clubs, with exception for kuyt who was immense for feyenoord. They come here and after a season or two, we are now looking foward to replace them.

Kuyt played as an out and out stiker at Feyenoord with him as the main man and everyone their to support him. He now has a supporting role. I think we need more options on the right but dont be banking on him leaving because I dont think he will so you are in for a shock.

Could be Crouch and Carson straight swap?

what about insua, jens?

i hope he wont turn out to be like Pennant, Kuyt and Bennayoun. They were above average for their clubs, with exception for kuyt who was immense for feyenoord. They come here and after a season or two, we are now looking foward to replace them.

But Barry has been more than above average. He has consistently been Villas best player for a good 4 seasons now, and the fact thats he stayed their so long is testament to his commitment to a cause.

what about insua, jens?

I don´t rate Insua either. ;)

O'Neil has gone on some big rant about doing business in public and it's not the way Liverpool used to operate, etc, obviously trying to save face because he's letting one of his best players go. Moaning get.

Why would the club leak a 10 million bid to the Echo if we're only offering players in exchange?

This player exchange stuff from Martin O' Neill's press conference today reeks of us not having actual cash available to fund the deal.

Same old bullshit. Thanks Rick, David, George and Tom. Fuckwits.

Could do but then if you've players surplus you might aswell try a few deals with them.

O'Neil has gone on some big rant about doing business in public and it's not the way Liverpool used to operate, etc, obviously trying to save face because he's letting one of his best players go. Moaning get.

Why would the club leak a 10 million bid to the Echo if we're only offering players in exchange?

O'Neill is spot on with what he has said. They have two massive games coming up and they are still trying to qualify for europe next year. The last thing they would need is a distraction for their captain who has been central in their progress this year.

Didn't we get annoyed when Gerrard was linked with all those clubs in europe - especially just before we played them.

This player exchange stuff from Martin O' Neill's press conference today reeks of us not having actual cash available to fund the deal.

Not necessarily. Those players would have been sold anyway, so it makes sense to offer them to Villa in exchange, especially as Carson is already there and MON was sniffing round Riise not too long ago.

Basically what I was saying on the 'Next Season' thread. These 'shopping lists' people have been coming out with are ludicrous.

O'Neill is spot on with what he has said. They have two massive games coming up and they are still trying to qualify for europe next year. The last thing they would need is a distraction for their captain who has been central in their progress this year.

Didn't we get annoyed when Gerrard was linked with all those clubs in europe - especially just before we played them.

Perhaps that's why Rafa did it, to unsettle him so they don't qualify for Europe, which could make his decision to leave easier. Whether I agree with such a tactic is a completely different discussion.

Is he bollocks. It's him who has made it public. Does he really think we'd leak it to the local paper to unsettle Villa ahead of their game?

Is he blaming Birmingham's local paper for printing the story too?