You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard's penalties

Neil G

Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread, but there's no way I'm reading through them all.

For the first time since Super Dan left, I now believe we've got a first-choice penalty taker we can have confidence in. Gerrard was a bit hit and miss on pens for a while, and he obviously didn't have complete confidence in himself otherwise he'd have taken the one to equalise in Istanbul. But over the last couple of seasons he's seemed much more assured, and whenever he steps up to take one I get the same feeling of inevitability that he'll put it away as I did with Murphy and Gary Mac. I had it last night even while my heart was pounding and my sphincter twitching uncontrollably.

Can anyone find his recent record on penalties? Aside from the one in Marseille where he followed in straight away and scored the rebound, I can't remember him missing one for a good while. The last one I definitely remember was in the 2-2 at home to Spurs in 2005.

"Can anyone find his recent record on penalties? Aside from the one in Marseille where he followed in straight away and scored the rebound, I can't remember him missing one for a good while. The last one I definitely remember was in the 2-2 at home to Spurs in 2005".

According to lfchistory.net he's missed 5 and scored 11. Rebounds go down as misses like the one you mentioned at Marseille and also in the 4-0 win over Fulham last season. You're right about the last one he took when he missed the target altogether being against Tottenham in April, 2005. The other misses were against Arsenal in 2006 (saved by Lehmann) and Fulham in April, 2004 (can't remember if he missed or it was saved)

Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread, but there's no way I'm reading through them all.

For the first time since Super Dan left, I now believe we've got a first-choice penalty taker we can have confidence in. Gerrard was a bit hit and miss on pens for a while, and he obviously didn't have complete confidence in himself otherwise he'd have taken the one to equalise in Istanbul. But over the last couple of seasons he's seemed much more assured, and whenever he steps up to take one I get the same feeling of inevitability that he'll put it away as I did with Murphy and Gary Mac. I had it last night even while my heart was pounding and my sphincter twitching uncontrollably.

Can anyone find his recent record on penalties? Aside from the one in Marseille where he followed in straight away and scored the rebound, I can't remember him missing one for a good while. The last one I definitely remember was in the 2-2 at home to Spurs in 2005.

Arsenal at Home back in 2004 I think....