You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Johnny Barnes

johnb

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope , Its hardly O'whelan or O'finnan either is it

He scored a few decent goals and had a few decent games but Didn't defend enough , rarely tracked back and made way to many sideways or backwards passes .He passed the ball sideways more than redknapp did and tracked back less than paul walsh.

By far the most ludicrous statement I've ever read on here. For those of us who hardly missed a game from his debut to his leaving I feel sorry for you not to have even a vague understanding of what an important and prodigiously talented player he was for the club.

Nope , Its hardly O'whelan or O'finnan either is it

He scored a few decent goals and had a few decent games but Didn't defend enough , rarely tracked back and made way to many sideways or backwards passes .He passed the ball sideways more than redknapp did and tracked back less than paul walsh.

By far the most ludicrous statement I've ever read on here. For those of us who hardly missed a game from his debut to his leaving I feel sorry for you not to have even a vague understanding of what an important and prodigiously talented player he was for the club.

Mate, he was taking the piss, looking for a reaction!

Just seen this goal for the first time on the Grauniad site. Pure class.

[YOUTUBE]6jzx68fnZCQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Imagine if Shrek had scored that goal, they would be calling him the best ever.

Barnes is easily vying with Kenny as the best our club has ever seen. Awesomely talented.

Only took 2 1/2 years but I finally catch a retardfish

• 1 month later...
Reason why i support this club.

I was always right footed but he made me wanna be a lefty..used to practice me arse off trying to play like him.

by the way :

Barnes makes a guest appearance as himself in episode 10 of Series 6 of Waterloo Road to be aired on BBC One on Wednesday 27th October 2010.

now you know

Guest ShoePiss
Interesting clip that of JB when at Watford,often wondered what he was like before he came to us,was it a given that he would turn out to be the star he was ?Or was he seen as a gamble like just about every other winger we have signed since?

It was never in doubt, the only doubt was whether he would sign for us. Kept us guessing for a bit.

It was never in doubt, the only doubt was whether he would sign for us. Kept us guessing for a bit.

The way I recall it, was that he was the next big thing in 84 when Watford had that great season and he scored that goal in Brazil, but had gone a bit quiet and inconsistent for a couple of years. Hence why we got Barnes for the pittance of 900 grand, whereas Beardsley cost 2 million.

Probably due to the fact that Graham Taylor played hoofball, so Digger didn't get the ball into feet that often.

Saw him score a belter for Watford against us at Vicarage Road around December 86 or January 87 on an absolute quagmire of a pitch.

Never seen it on the box but (from memory) he got the ball on the halfway line - left hand touch line - with his back to goal, ripped Chico a new one, cut in and curled it far post with his right.

Convinced to this day that was the moment Kenny decided to sign him.

Even towards the end of his career he still scored one of the greatest overhead kicks i have ever seen at Blackburn. It was pure perfection met it perfect and landed in the corner of the net keeper no chance not shinned or nothing or just over your shoulder like Berbatov's and hope for the best!! Pure class and he was on the decline then too.

That back heel against Crewe when he had just returned from injury was a class goal, again towards the end of his careerl.. It was in the FA Cup and we were playing in green or acru

Eh? It was early 1992 (we won the cup that year) and he still had 5 seasons at the club, having joined in 1987. I remember he was still playing for Charlton in 1998/99. By the way, the kit WAS green.

How about the backheel in this game. Ridiculous match, and a sign that the defence really was creaking.

[YOUTUBE]pYjwXpAiZhA[/YOUTUBE]