You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

What? How is this even possible? 

I didn't like DiCaprio until I saw The Aviator, since then I've accepted that he's a great actor & have grown to like him.

Wolf of Wall Street is a fucking great film as well, there's no moral compass (personally I don't need one when I'm watching a film) & you won't find out about the ins & outs of stock broking watching it but it's pure entertainment.

• Upvote 2

I didn't like DiCaprio until I saw The Aviator, since then I've accepted that he's a great actor & have grown to like him.

Wolf of Wall Street is a fucking great film as well, there's no moral compass (personally I don't need one when I'm watching a film) & you won't find out about the ins & outs of stock broking watching it but it's pure entertainment.

Didn't think much of DiCaprio until The Departed in which I thought he was brilliant..

Agree about Wolf of Wall Street and isn't that what movies are about sometimes just entertainment??

Plus it also introduced us to....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r0zQQ_fHD4

And just for that alone we should be thankful.

• Upvote 1

Agree with this entirely. People pick holes in everything these days, at the end of the day if i find it entertaining, then that's all that matters.

fin-4-752x501.jpg.9cb45ee661a9b610d6ff05

• Upvote 1

Wolf of Wall Street is a fucking great film as well, there's no moral compass (personally I don't need one when I'm watching a film) & you won't find out about the ins & outs of stock broking watching it but it's pure entertainment.

I think DiCaprio is overrated and one dimensional,very much like his co star in WoWS,Jonah Hill. I still thought the film was very entertaining but it was pretty shallow and easily forgettable. I also thought The Departed was well overrated.

The whole thing that Scorsese is interested in showing is that the behaviour at Stratton Oakmont is exactly akin to those on Wall Street. And thus the behaviours that led to the GFC are easily explained. The whole financial system is full of and run by people like those small time greedy crooks. Ay caramba!

No. There is a bizarrely artistically crude scene with McC and DiCaprio at the beginning which serves to get that out of the way, by telling us, you think WS are cunts, I (we) think WS are cunts, now get on with the film. Which than does not show what he had McC tell us but instead talks about a guy who went on to work for a company which is not part of WS, it sells a different type of stocks to different type of investors for huge commission, because it is in fact now defrauding people. Film doesn't show you how they are the same, this is somehow implicit, and what little interest Scorsese has in his characters can be interpreted as even a kind of admiration for DiCaprio and these small timers around him because they are making like bandits without being Ivy League educated sons of the elite with a fast track to best WS firms. Which are basically doing the same, but we don't know how because the film does not show it since it is a lot easier to keep and keep and keep showing how they party.

This is why the film does not dwell on the victims who are financing all that, because we would then have to establish  some moral framework or basis, compass in the film, which would than make it more complex, endanger the above premise and which ultimately, as Mook says, Scorsese is not interested in here.

I like (mostly old) Scorsese, Di Caprio since the Departed (great point Stickman) and watch all films about financial markets and was bored shitless after about half an hour and had to watch to film in two sittings. Scorsese made me care what happens with DiCaprio only after he began losing it and there are so many aspects of his character the director is somehow not interested in ( for instance, why is he so loyal to these obnoxious people who surround him and who are quite obviously inferior to him in every aspect, is this supposed to be insecurity on his part, a redeeming feature, leadership complex what?) which makes the film incredibly tedious to watch.

I think I made a point about "old" Scorsese somewhere, that his recent films are all much too long because he insists on showing you the same things over and over again, like an old man telling you the story he forgot he already told you.

• Upvote 1

Di Caprio has been in some brilliant movies. 

Wolf Of Wall St

The Departed

Catch Me If You Can

Django Unchained

Shutter island

Aviator 

and the massively underrated Blood Diamond

Ive not seen Inception or The Revenent yet but i've heard they are both great. 

Nothing not to like about him, he is living the dream and fair fucking play to him. 

• Upvote 3

Scorsese's old films would have been a lot longer if he'd had his way, I suspect the fact that he's such a big player now means he gets his own way in that regard.

I prefer his older films myself but still think Wolf of Wall Street is one of the best films of recent years.

Wolf Of Wall St

The Departed

Catch Me If You Can

Django Unchained

Shutter island

Aviator 

Nothing not to like about him, he is living the dream and fair fucking play to him. 

I love The basketball Diaries. Not one of the highest rated but one of my favourites.

• Upvote 1

Wolf Of Wall St

The Departed

Catch Me If You Can

Django Unchained

Shutter island

Aviator 

Also the criminally underrated "Titanic".

Scorsese's old films would have been a lot longer if he'd had his way, I suspect the fact that he's such a big player now means he gets his own way in that regard.

I prefer his older films myself but still think Wolf of Wall Street is one of the best films of recent years.

Which reminds me, almost every time I've seen someone's "director's cut" I realized that producers are not that stupid or inept as they are frequently made out to be.

• Upvote 1

Wolf Of Wall St

The Departed

Catch Me If You Can

Django Unchained

Shutter island

Aviator 

Negged, for forgetting Critters 3. Cunt.

This Boy's Life is very good.

Wolf Of Wall St

The Departed

Catch Me If You Can

Django Unchained

Shutter island

Aviator 

Yes! A very underrated film - The Revenent strangely enough is a film where he says very little, a purely physical performance. Personally I thought he was better than Nicholson in the Departed (as was Matt Damon). 

Considering he was pigeonholed as a 'pretty boy' teen heartthrob after the Titanic sank without a trace! 

I love The basketball Diaries. Not one of the highest rated but one of my favourites.

Good film that, also enjoyed the Gilbert Grape film. He must have been very young in those films.