You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Team one up at Southampton

Guest Gazmo25

When you think back to the first round and the struggle we had with Ipswich I think it was them and they were the team to lose to the lot we just beat in last years final) it all could have ended there but we've kicked on. well done lads

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Southampton team had about 5 remaining from last year. Just shows what a good performance it was. Really made up for them. Just a mad thought there the treble is still on. Would be the strangest trebles ever but would be great.

Wow, what a game! So many highs and lows, and its always nice to come out the eventual winner :D

There was a good crowd at st marys, can't remember the official figure, but something like 9,150. Obviously most of them were southampton fans, but we tried to make what noise we could.

I was a little late getting to the ground, but was walking to my seat just as Lindfield knocked in a very tidy finish. The night is a little bit of a blur now :party: , but i think it was number 7 barratt that set him up with a nice pass. At first i thought numer 7 was anderson, but he was on the right wearing number 10. (or was it anderson with the pass, and i thought it was barratt??? lol).

Southampton had some good possession in the first half, but the midfielders were working hard and the defence were looking solid. Cannot remember a shot that roberts had to make. Antwi was superb all night and Lindfield was doing a fine job as the lone striker and impressed me.

Second half started and we created 2 or 3 very good chances through some fine play by the youngsters, and we really should have scored 1 of them. The fact that we didn't seemed to give southampton their belief that they could get back into the game.

Problems really started when i think it was southampton's no. 6 got hold of the ball, i think it was his fine run which led to their first goal. A piece of fine play which unlocked our previously untroubled defence. Unfortunately, the troubles continued as southamption started to attack using width, and running at us which we didn't seem to cope with. Was very impressed with how they played it in the final 3rd, but through hard work and some great last ditch challenges we kept it at 1-1.

Heighway changed the formation to bring barratt in the centre and hammill on the left in an attempt to see the game out 1-1, and put us through to the final. It all worked well, and the lads remained a goal threat themselves with some tidy passing.

As some of the saints fans were leaving, and the liverpool fans were singing, the unfortunate own goal happened and we were into extra time. Southampton had all the momentum now, and when they scored in extra time i didn't fancy our chances. 3-1 on the night and the lads looked tired, with several now cramping up.

Heighway was doing his best to get the lads heads right, and a few responded to spur on the rest of the team. It was clear that there is some good spirit in that squad, with plenty of fighters that weren't prepared to surrender this cup with ease. now we were the ones to pile on some pressure, and threlfall scored an excellent header which put us back in the game and on our way to success in the pens.

Coming out of the ground a few southamptopn supporters were talking well of our boys and our performance. Personally, i thought that the teams were quite even during the 90 minutes. In the context of the game, it was southampton who had to push forward and they had a lot of possession, but we dealt with it comfortably for the most part and had the better clear cut chances in the match. We always looked the likely winners, but our first leg advantage had a lot to do with that. Both teams have some very good youngsters in the ranks.

Every player played their part and played it well. antwi, in particular, was very impressive in the back line. the midfielders all worked hard, and players like ryan came on and immediately got involved with some good tackling and passing. anderson made way for ryan, and i think this must have been one of his quieter games for us. he did well enough, but some of the reviews i have read of him, suggest he has a lot more in his locker. Saving it for the final no doubt... 8)

lindfield had a very good game up front, and showed what a good player he is. i was wondering and worried before the game who would end up left of midfield, but barratt was superb there all night.

i enjoyed reading the hammill interview, and was watching him quite closely. i have to say that (based on just the one game ahem) i have come to the same conclusion as most others. he certainly is a player with a lot of talent, at times doing the impossible and beating 2/3 players with ease (and a lot of skill), but is frustrating at other times when the task in front of him looks a lot easier. he has talent to work with and if we could put a consistent end product on him, i'm sure he could be a great player. On the night he did his job for the team, and was unlucky not to grab a goal. very good performance from him.

I've bored you enough... in summary, a talented mix of youngsters, home grown and bought by rafa. I'm sure a few can make the grade. Good luck for the final lads.

:yes:

Wow, what a game! So many highs and lows, and its always nice to come out the eventual winner :D

There was a good crowd at st marys, can't remember the official figure, but something like 9,150. Obviously most of them were southampton fans, but we tried to make what noise we could.

I was a little late getting to the ground, but was walking to my seat just as Lindfield knocked in a very tidy finish. The night is a little bit of a blur now :party: , but i think it was number 7 barratt that set him up with a nice pass. At first i thought numer 7 was anderson, but he was on the right wearing number 10. (or was it anderson with the pass, and i thought it was barratt??? lol).

Southampton had some good possession in the first half, but the midfielders were working hard and the defence were looking solid. Cannot remember a shot that roberts had to make. Antwi was superb all night and Lindfield was doing a fine job as the lone striker and impressed me.

Second half started and we created 2 or 3 very good chances through some fine play by the youngsters, and we really should have scored 1 of them. The fact that we didn't seemed to give southampton their belief that they could get back into the game.

Problems really started when i think it was southampton's no. 6 got hold of the ball, i think it was his fine run which led to their first goal. A piece of fine play which unlocked our previously untroubled defence. Unfortunately, the troubles continued as southamption started to attack using width, and running at us which we didn't seem to cope with. Was very impressed with how they played it in the final 3rd, but through hard work and some great last ditch challenges we kept it at 1-1.

Heighway changed the formation to bring barratt in the centre and hammill on the left in an attempt to see the game out 1-1, and put us through to the final. It all worked well, and the lads remained a goal threat themselves with some tidy passing.

As some of the saints fans were leaving, and the liverpool fans were singing, the unfortunate own goal happened and we were into extra time. Southampton had all the momentum now, and when they scored in extra time i didn't fancy our chances. 3-1 on the night and the lads looked tired, with several now cramping up.

Heighway was doing his best to get the lads heads right, and a few responded to spur on the rest of the team. It was clear that there is some good spirit in that squad, with plenty of fighters that weren't prepared to surrender this cup with ease. now we were the ones to pile on some pressure, and threlfall scored an excellent header which put us back in the game and on our way to success in the pens.

Coming out of the ground a few southamptopn supporters were talking well of our boys and our performance. Personally, i thought that the teams were quite even during the 90 minutes. In the context of the game, it was southampton who had to push forward and they had a lot of possession, but we dealt with it comfortably for the most part and had the better clear cut chances in the match. We always looked the likely winners, but our first leg advantage had a lot to do with that. Both teams have some very good youngsters in the ranks.

Every player played their part and played it well. antwi, in particular, was very impressive in the back line. the midfielders all worked hard, and players like ryan came on and immediately got involved with some good tackling and passing. anderson made way for ryan, and i think this must have been one of his quieter games for us. he did well enough, but some of the reviews i have read of him, suggest he has a lot more in his locker. Saving it for the final no doubt... 8)

lindfield had a very good game up front, and showed what a good player he is. i was wondering and worried before the game who would end up left of midfield, but barratt was superb there all night.

i enjoyed reading the hammill interview, and was watching him quite closely. i have to say that (based on just the one game ahem) i have come to the same conclusion as most others. he certainly is a player with a lot of talent, at times doing the impossible and beating 2/3 players with ease (and a lot of skill), but is frustrating at other times when the task in front of him looks a lot easier. he has talent to work with and if we could put a consistent end product on him, i'm sure he could be a great player. On the night he did his job for the team, and was unlucky not to grab a goal. very good performance from him.

I've bored you enough... in summary, a talented mix of youngsters, home grown and bought by rafa. I'm sure a few can make the grade. Good luck for the final lads.

:yes:

BRIANE READE!!!!

BRIANE READE!!!!

:D

the shorter steve heighway take on the game...

Liverpool Academy Director Steve Heighway declared himself a proud man after seeing his young team reach the final of the FA Youth Cup after an incredible 5-4 win on penalties over Southampton.

The semi-final had finished 4-4 on aggregate after extra-time but the Reds held their nerve in the penalty shoot-out to win 5-4 with goalkeeper David Roberts the hero, saving twice.

"It was an unbelievable match and it was an incredible statement about our kids and our club," a delighted Heighway told Liverpoolfc.tv. "It was a wonderful advert for the Academy and was a magnificent evening.

"Our boys never give in and they kept fighting. They lifted themselves and boys who I didn't think had that quality did it. Southampton are a fabulous side, as good an under-18 team as I have seen.

"This match had so many twists and turns but the kids we have got are fantastic and I'm proud of them. They had tremendous courage to take the penalties at the end as seven of our team are under-17 players."