You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Johnson and Wayne Routledge.

Juan Galonso

Guest Moschops
This is football not American football. I don't see the need to pay out for a dedicated penalty taker.

I'm not suggesting we do - just that reliably scoring from them (and winning them in the first place) is no bad thing in a player, and it's something we're currently lacking.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yet to Routledge, however AJ is not as important as we have Cisse and next season if we got Aimar we would only be playing with one striker upfront.

But Johnson has had a 20 plus goal season for Palace. Cisse's not scored 4 in England yet and is lucky to be walking let alone playing. In fact NONE of our strikers are proven at the top level in this country. JOhnson also offers something different, and as JG says would compliment Morientes well. Jonson would also be excellent on his won in an away european tie. Also I think this season has shown that we are dreadfully thin as a squad and that more than amnything else you need proven goalscorers. Jonson showed on Saturday what a player he is, can you remember anyone turning Jmaie and Sami out the way he did ?

The lad is class.

I'd happily take both (but would prefer Owen to Johnson if I had the choice).

But has Owen lost some of his speed ? The real jet pace he used to have. Im not saying Johnson is better than Owen, obviously he's alot to prove, but for me Owen shouldnt come back, its never a good move, and Johnson has more pace and is stronger aerially, he's also something to prove, he'snot been there and seen it. So Id take the hungrier of the two, which for me is Johnson.

But Johnson has had a 20 plus goal season for Palace. Cisse's not scored 4 in England yet and is lucky to be walking let alone playing. In fact NONE of our strikers are proven at the top level in this country. JOhnson also offers something different, and as JG says would compliment Morientes well. Jonson would also be excellent on his won in an away european tie. Also I think this season has shown that we are dreadfully thin as a squad and that more than amnything else you need proven goalscorers. Jonson showed on Saturday what a player he is, can you remember anyone turning Jmaie and Sami out the way he did ?

The lad is class.

i think you have to give Cisse his chance before you buy his replacement

i think you have to give Cisse his chance before you buy his replacement

He's not his replacement he's another option. If we make the CL next season, we'll need four top class strikers each capable of weighing in with 10 to 15 league goals and ONE standing out with a 15 - 20 haul and thats if they all keep their legs, ankles and knees intact....... :no

And none of our current strikeforce are yet proven to be up to it.

Johnson may not be for the CL, although his pace would be an assest in tense away games. Im sure he'd do well on the counter against some ageing slower CB's (Pellegrino anyone?), but he'd be no1 choice for when we play the likes of Southampton, Birmingham, Palace, Citeh etc Johnson would be ideal. Totally at home int he hurbly burly of the premiership dogs of war he'd be an asset and give us something different. Baros and Morientes have never really looked comfortable in those games, dont know yet about Cisse. And for me this is the crux of our problem. So if only for the 20 or so, dogs of war games a year, AJ would be ideal. And who knows he might even be better than that....

:dunno:

Guest Moschops
Wouldnt surprise me if Spurs went in for both of them in the summer.

Wasnt Routledge supposed to be signing for them in January?

I think the only way Spurs will go after Johnson will be if Defoe leaves - but I can see Souness being very keen indeed.

Routledge is the one to go for I reckon - the only winger we've seen this year who has given Finnan serious problems - Duff and Robben didn't really manage it. Perfect Kewell replacement - worth laying out serious money for.

Johnson would be good if the price was right.

He would only cost a nominal fee BCP wouldn't he? I understood he was on a Bosman? Could be wrong.

Will M said it about a week ago on YNWA. He's pretty reliable, never posts bullshit, just posts the occasional nugget he hears.

He said we've got Johnson as a done deal and 2 Spaniards (or players from the Spanish league, can't remember exactly what he said) one for €12m and the other for €15m

But has Owen lost some of his speed ? The real jet pace he used to have. Im not saying Johnson is better than Owen, obviously he's alot to prove, but for me Owen shouldnt come back, its never a good move, and Johnson has more pace and is stronger aerially, he's also something to prove, he'snot been there and seen it. So Id take the hungrier of the two, which for me is Johnson.

You're a mentalist.

Will M said it about a week ago on YNWA. He's pretty reliable, never posts bullshit, just posts the occasional nugget he hears.

He said we've got Johnson as a done deal and 2 Spaniards (or players from the Spanish league, can't remember exactly what he said) one for €12m and the other for €15m

Think the two Spanish players could be Reina and Luque but thats only rumours ive heard off the tabloids.

A Haaaaa

Have you a Lexus perchance Tom ? And you dont live in the LintonTravel Tavern do you ?.........

:thumbup:

Did have a Lexus for a short time actually. But it was way better than Partridge's poxy little IS200.

And, funnily enough, over the next 3 weeks I am due to stay in various Holiday Inn's around the region no fewer than five times (deffo taking my own big plate for dinner time)

Jesus, I am Alan Partridge!

*cues Sparticus-style cries of "I am Alan Partridge!"*

We should definitely sign Routledge, and Johnson might be a good replacement if Baros leaves. They would have to prove themselves before they became first team players, but I reckon the overall risk in signing them would be fairly low. I honestly don't think we will, though.

Routeledge is a done deal to Spurs

Johnson is a done deal to us

Apparently

Doubt he will join Spurs. They have recently bought Andy Reid as a winger, and are well covered in that area. But if they do, maybe we should consider a bid for Simon Davies? A year ago he was heavily linked with Man U, but this season he has been halted by injuries.

YNWA said Johnson was at Melwood in January, so we've been interested for a while.

Spurs are trying to buy up all the best young talent in the country, Routledge fits into that category. Reid is a left winger BTW

I know... but Routlegde played just as much on the left against us..tormenting Finnan at times... Spurs are very well covered on the flanks, so i doubt they will go for Routlegde... that is just my gut feeling...but...obviously i havent got a clue!

:)