You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Everton 0 (Oct 22 2023)

tlw content

image.jpeg

You’ve got to hand it to Everton. Only they could suffer a completely routine defeat in which they managed only one effort on goal and somehow make out it was controversial. It’s crazy to me that all the talk after this game was about a referee who was for the most part fine.

This is the most Everton thing you’ll ever see. Essentially they’re attempting to stir up a massive controversy and crying about conspiracies and unfairness based on…. well one minor foul that may or may not have been a yellow card. That’s it. One fucking decision that a referee made a judgement call on. Imagine if these fuckers had to deal with what happened to us at Spurs.

They aren’t complaining about Ashley Old getting two clear yellows. They aren’t complaining about the stonewall penalty. The sane and rational ones aren’t anyway. But they are crying conspiracy because the referee chose to award a free-kick and no yellow card for what was just a pretty standard foul. And for some reason that’s become the story of the game that everyone is leading. Shit, I’m even doing it here.

So many games this season have been ruined by refereeing decisions and we’ve been on the receiving end of those fuck ups more than anybody. This isn’t that. And trying to lump this in with the other shit we’ve seen undermines the genuine debacles we’ve seen. Craig Pawson’s performance wasn’t bad. Other than that one Konate decision which could have gone either way, what’s the problem here? There isn’t one. It’s a fucking joke.

There’s nothing here that you won’t see in literally every other game of football this weekend. I guarantee you can find a foul in any game where you can argue a yellow should have been given but wasn’t, or vice versa. That’s all this is. Everton will argue that all the decisions went against them. They’d be wrong. Pawson didn’t give us a penalty when Patterson brought down Diaz and let’s not forget that he didn’t give the penalty for handball either until VAR told him he’d missed it. So one decision went against them and it’s sparked all of this. It’s pathetic.

This reaction and behaviour from them is embarrassing even by Everton standards. Manager, p[layers and fans. All of them are making fools of themselves. You’re really going to make a massive song and dance over that Konate foul? Jesus Christ. Even if the ref had sent him off we’d have still beat them as Everton can’t handle it when there’s any sort of expectation on them to do something. You know when Everton are in their absolute derby game element? When they’re down to ten men, crying about referees and putting up a ‘brave, backs to wall’ effort in a valiant defeat.

If that game went ten v ten they couldn’t have just sat there on the edge of their own box, pumping alehouse balls up to whichever big donkey they have up top. They’d have had to try and play a bit, and they’d have got royally fucked because that would have left space for my boy Darwin to run them ragged.

View full article

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

I think Trent (or Gomez) drifting into the middle when we're building up play isn't only meant to be a means of creative play. People have to recognise that the team needed more stability when we were getting beat almost every other week earlier this year.

Having two in the middle areas during that phase gives us a bit more security if we are getting countered on through the middle. It doesn't work perfectly because no system is completely perfect. But it's way better than the previous standard 433 with our full backs high and wide. If we went back to that system, Mac Allister would be getting even more exposed.

The second goal came from an Everton throw in. I thought as much and said so on the pod, but I checked it and it was. 

Love the idea of Everton just playing red arse for three hours every day in training, by the way. 

4 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The cowardly bums set out to prevent any football taking place.  They were partially successful for over an hour, but it's a 90 minute game.

Fuck 'em.

But, but it's the injustice of it.

Reflection ….

Still annoyed with non 2nd yellow card yesterday.

It did have an impact as the game was still 0-0.

C’est la vie.

But when was the last time we had a decision go our way against them.

Struggling to remember…..

Scot

The word’s gone out. Total pile on  in the media re the Konate thing. Dopey Dermot, aided and abetted by Stephen Warnock, declaring he should have seen a second yellow….. with no reference to which law/guideline that view is based on, just that it was ‘cynical’. I’ve seen it suggested that it stopped a ‘promising’ attack. I guess, if you think that a donkey like Beto, 65 yards from goal, nobody in support, ball yards away, Virgil about to pounce, has a chance of a ‘promising attack’, then fair enough.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Thing I noticed about Elliot yesterday was how well he controls a pass directly on the volley. His technique is excellent and leads to that increase in tempo. A great impact player now.

Agreed. Can’t remember who I was talking to but someone said the other day that he’ll be a good squad player but no more. My response was that he’s getting minutes every week in one of the best squads in the world at the age of 20. The world’s his fucking oyster.

I certainty wouldn’t be prepared to imagine a ceiling for him at the moment. That shot on Saturday was incredible - and that’s clearly something he’s been working on. Who knows how far he’ll go?

3 hours ago, DaveT said:

The word’s gone out. Total pile on  in the media re the Konate thing. Dopey Dermot, aided and abetted by Stephen Warnock, declaring he should have seen a second yellow….. with no reference to which law/guideline that view is based on, just that it was ‘cynical’. I’ve seen it suggested that it stopped a ‘promising’ attack. I guess, if you think that a donkey like Beto, 65 yards from goal, nobody in support, ball yards away, Virgil about to pounce, has a chance of a ‘promising attack’, then fair enough.

"Cynical"

It was a fucking accident! Ibou literally stops and tries to avoid any contact, while Beto runs into him. So much nonsense being spoken about it. The more I watch it the less I'm even convinced its a foul, let alone anything else.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, dave u said:

I expect them to do it, but it's all the nuggets in the national media egging them on that's annoying me. Don't feed the animals!!

The British media are to blame for everything. I mean that quite literally. The one thing they did right in their entire existence - disseminating the truth of what happened outside the Stade de France against Madrid - was because so many of them were caught up in it! I hate them as much as you hate that cunt Richarlison (I almost said 'more' but I have my limits).

• Upvote 1

It's like the game was on a knife edge and they had us on the rocks or some shit. We could have lost three players and still won.

We laugh it off but the way their club and staff consistently tries to shift blame in our direction is a big source of all the bile from the fans these days. All started with the "people's club" stuff. Kenwright, Moyes, Lampard all especially guilty of it. Weak leaders looking for a get out of jail card. Don't look at me, look at the kopites.

• dave u unpinned this topic