You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

42 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

We did replace him. 

32 minutes ago, Mook said:

We spent circa £18m of it on his replacement.

There was barely contained euphoria at us getting £52m for Henderson and Fabinho. Would people have been as happy knowing that we’d end up plugging the gaps with £16m on a 30–year-old who hasn’t played at the same level as either of those?

5 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

There was barely contained euphoria at us getting £52m for Henderson and Fabinho. Would people have been as happy knowing that we’d end up plugging the gaps with £16m on a 30–year-old who hasn’t played at the same level as either of those?

Course not. Also, Endo might be a replacement, but he's not any kind of long term solution at that position.

Bit of a tricky situation with Salah, on the one hand he has huge amounts of big game experience, is a hungry goal scorer (and that's becoming rarer these days) and he looks after himself to Ronaldo levels of fitness and nutrition. 

But we can't deny that he's also not been the same player for a long time now, 18 months+, he's a player thats relied on his speed all his career and he's 31 now. We need our wide players to beat people and open up the game for us, and he doesn't do that as much anymore. People can talk about tactics and set up all they want but we do get him 1v1 often enough and he's been making poor decisions in those situations for a while now. 

It's a tough one, how long do you keep an iconic player and legend of the club even if he's not performing at the same level? We've lost a shit load of experience already, you can't get rid of too many more winners they are worth their weight in gold around the dressing room. Personally i'd definitely be keeping him this season but if he's still not performing and we get £100+ million next summer i think i'd be seriously considering it. 

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Think it was more based on the fact that without the Saudi's involved the amount we end up getting for both is a fraction of that money given their age and form. It was great business. Also I would expect an increased budget for Jan and next summer if we don't spend much the rest of the window. We took a while to spend the Suarez and Coutinho money.

6 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I'm going to wait and see what I think of Endo before commenting on that.

If he has functioning legs, he'll be better than Fabinho & Henderson were last season.

Letting Fabinho go was fucking criminal. Henderson was absolutely finished, genuinely wouldn’t stand out in the championship these days.

Fab with the legs of mac and Szobo would have been a very good option for us and would have allowed us to take stock and find a suitable long term replacement. Instead we’ve publicly humiliated ourselves and replaced him with a player no one in this country has ever heard of.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Bit of a tricky situation with Salah, on the one hand he has huge amounts of big game experience, is a hungry goal scorer (and that's becoming rarer these days) and he looks after himself to Ronaldo levels of fitness and nutrition. 

But we can't deny that he's also not been the same player for a long time now, 18 months+, he's a player thats relied on his speed all his career and he's 31 now. We need our wide players to beat people and open up the game for us, and he doesn't do that as much anymore. People can talk about tactics and set up all they want but we do get him 1v1 often enough and he's been making poor decisions in those situations for a while now. 

It's a tough one, how long do you keep an iconic player and legend of the club even if he's not performing at the same level? We've lost a shit load of experience already, you can't get rid of too many more winners they are worth their weight in gold around the dressing room. Personally i'd definitely be keeping him this season but if he's still not performing and we get £100+ million next summer i think i'd be seriously considering it. 

I don't think it's a tough one at all. The club have said he isn't leaving this window, so that should be that. Or else, we can't really take what the club says seriously.

Beyond that though, it is virtually certain he will leave, because of the Saudi thing, because of his contract situation,  because of his age.

So the club simply have to prepare for that in advance, but if they do that and they get the right kind of player, who is good on and off ball, we won't be worse collectively without him.

1 minute ago, Mil-ing Around said:

The form thing is true, particularly in terms of his general play and increasing penchant for losing the ball.

But what is the actual point of comparing him to his previous form? The best player in the league for many years isn't as good as he was, so what? It only matters how good he is compared to the competition. In a bad year last year he had 30 goals and 16 assists in all competitions. In a bad year. Who exactly is producing anything like that?

I'd sell for something ridiculous like 150-200 mill, but only if there's a world class player we can acquire who can play his position and potentially reproduce a good sized amount of his goal contributions.

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't think it's a tough one at all. The club have said he isn't leaving this window, so that should be that. Or else, we can't really take what the club says seriously.

Beyond that though, it is virtually certain he will leave, because of the Saudi thing, because of his contract situation,  because of his age.

So the club simply have to prepare for that in advance, but if they do that and they get the right kind of player, who is good on and off ball, we won't be worse collectively without him.

Yeah i was more referring to the people saying he's so important to us that we should never sell him, even next year. I know he's not leaving this season but many dont want to sell him next either. I think there is a right time to get rid of players, even when they are legends. 

We can't be blinded by his form, but the numbers are still good however his overall play hasn't been great for a while, i think people are hiding behind the past a little here too. But on the flip side, he's a born winner and i don't want us to get rid of too many of them since we've already lost so many of them. You can't put a price on experience in a dressing room, they are the players that carry you through to winning titles and cups. We've lost Milner, Hendo, Fab, Mane, Firmino. Probably Matip next season too. Then we are only left with Alisson, Virj, Trent and Robertson. There is a balancing act, that's why it's a tricky one in my mind. 

36 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

He’s actually pretty good as well. Hopefully he doesn’t go back to Scotland (aka the real SPL aka the real farmers league) and get a decent club.

If we think we'll do a deal for Salah this summer or next we should ask for him on loan with a cheap fee as a sweetener for a future Salah deal. No risk look at the lad. 

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Even if we sold him for £300m the only people that benefits is FSG, because Klopp wouldn't spend all of it even if they made it available to him.

Prices for everyone we would go for would skyrocket and we wouldn't pay it. So no matter how much it is, even a billion, I don't want us to sell Mo because I want to see our assets on the field, not on a fucking accounts spreadsheet.

We haven't even been able to sign a young number six or a left sided centre back, and those are way easier to find than someone who can do the kind of things Salah has done.

Bottom line, if Edwards was here I'd be relaxed about him getting a top fee for Mo and then reinvesting it in quality to rebuild the team. He's not here and I don't trust anyone else to do it properly because we're shit at transfers now.

Sadly I reckon that last paragraph is spot on. 

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

Why couldn’t we have kept Fabinho and brought in Endo too? What’s the advantage from a footballing perspective in having loads of cash that we can’t seem to spend?

Especially how Klopp was saying last season how important Fabinho was to how we play, and how his dip in form had affected the whole teams performance as we had no one else who could do the job the way he did it.

18 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Why couldn’t we have kept Fabinho and brought in Endo too? What’s the advantage from a footballing perspective in having loads of cash that we can’t seem to spend?

Problem with keeping Fabinho is we would ha e been at the limit of HG players. No chance of Kone,Dacoure or a CB. 

Another part of the stupidity of giving Adrian a new deal

20 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

That we can’t seem to spend it seems to have been a realisation after the sale was completed. Not just for the fans, for the club too.

From a footballing perspective retaining Fabinho as a third or fourth choice defensive midfielder wouldn’t really have affected our performances over the season. If he’d have stayed and been given significant minutes it would have cost us points compared to playing Bajcetic or Mac Allister there.

Just now, joe_fishfish said:

That we can’t seem to spend it seems to have been a realisation after the sale was completed. Not just for the fans, for the club too.

From a footballing perspective retaining Fabinho as a third or fourth choice defensive midfielder wouldn’t really have affected our performances over the season. If he’d have stayed and been given significant minutes it would have cost us points compared to playing Bajcetic or Mac Allister there.

I thought there was no coincidence in our results picking up in the last third of the season and Fabinho getting back to some decent form. He’d have had more energy and legs in front of him this season too. 

Have to disagree there mate, I didn’t think he improved that much at all, and the kind of decline he showed felt like it was more down to him being completely shot physically rather than being in terrible form or carrying an injury that could be dealt with. Like he lost top speed, acceleration, agility, stamina, everything you need physically to play in the Premier League. No way a player comes back from that kind of decline imo.

39 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Sadly I reckon that last paragraph is spot on. 

I don't think it's quite spot on. 

People are happy with Szobo and MacAllister aren't they?  

I just think we're missing an important cog that knits the others together, so the other parts still work independently but output is reduced.

36 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

The shiteness of modern football to make fans think more about money. Even now some here are saying if we get good money we should sell Salah.

As fucking if that money will get spent on new players.

• Upvote 1