You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

People already writing off Van Dijk?

He had a shit season and is showing signs he isnt the same player but that could also be the pressure of us losing so many games and his confidence taking a hit last season. None of them are robots, losing lots of games effects everyone, even the best.

I'd be wary of writing him off just yet, i think he has one final hooray in him, he turns 32 in a few days time. That's not that old, a defender can still be very effective up until 34/35. They run less than anybody on the pitch and with a midfield that doesn't get ran through, so easily and quickly, he'll have an extra few secs to adjust and position himself better. 

He's not done yet

20 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

People already writing off Van Dijk?

He had a shit season and is showing signs he isnt the same player but that could also be the pressure of us losing so many games and his confidence taking a hit last season. None of them are robots, losing lots of games effects everyone, even the best.

I'd be wary of writing him off just yet, i think he has one final hooray in him, he turns 32 in a few days time. That's not that old, a defender can still be very effective up until 34/35. They run less than anybody on the pitch and with a midfield that doesn't get ran through, so easily and quickly, he'll have an extra few secs to adjust and position himself better. 

He's not done yet

His passive style of defending, which he used to master when he had all his physical faculties, is now a detriment. He cant run and he cant dictate where he wants to send attackers anymore. They just go at him and make him look stupid much more often. Something needs to change. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

His passive style of defending, which he used to master when he had all his physical faculties, is now a detriment. He cant run and he cant dictate where he wants to send attackers anymore. They just go at him and make him look stupid much more often. Something needs to change. 

Or fix the team press, from front through to midfield and to the back then we and they (VVD, Fab etc) will look back to their old selves.

it’s a team game, Klopp creates a team better than the sum of its parts and that team cohesion and gel is what makes it so.

I think 100 percent we buy a defender. I dont think it will be Colwill. The midfielders out I think is nonsense too. Weve lost a shit load off the wage bill with the people who have already left, we ain't getting much for the players we have left. We are just playing the game because there's no way the club thinks 2 players is enough, it isn't, it would be a tough lesson learnt once again. 

36 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Bit of goalpost shifting on here in relation to the areas we need to strengthen in. There seemed to be a general consensus on here that all our ills were down to a dysfunctional midfield. 

The midfield was absolutely the biggest problem - I don't think anyone would dispute that for all the well documented reasons.

But there is no doubt IMHO that we are sailing close to the wind at centre half and there is a big risk that we could end up with a big problem there - so why not be proactive?....

5 minutes ago, redrosetints said:

Or fix the team press, from front through to midfield and to the back then we and they (VVD, Fab etc) will look back to their old selves.

it’s a team game, Klopp creates a team better than the sum of its parts and that team cohesion and gel is what makes it so.

Yes, if we can press well, van Dijk would effectively just need to win duels in a short area and in the air. But there's no way he should be highly exposed anymore and have to run around all over the place.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We are just playing the game because there's no way the club thinks 2 players is enough, it isn't, it would be a tough lesson learnt once again. 

That may be so, but you’d have thought January 2021 would have been all the evidence FSG needed about the risk of resting on their laurels, and they didn’t think twice about repeating the folly, so why not again?

17 minutes ago, an tha said:

The midfield was absolutely the biggest problem - I don't think anyone would dispute that for all the well documented reasons.

But there is no doubt IMHO that we are sailing close to the wind at centre half and there is a big risk that we could end up with a big problem there - so why not be proactive?....

Van Dijk and our defence didn’t really cover themselves in glory last season but they were playing behind a bunch of statues who just let everybody run past them Id still prefer a top class defensive midfielder then a young centre back 

Just now, bizzle10 said:

Van Dijk and our defence didn’t really cover themselves in glory last season but they were playing behind a bunch of statues who just let everybody run past them Id still prefer a top class defensive midfielder then a young centre back 

There is no doubt that the team being broken did not help and fixing problems in front of the defence like the press, ability to sense and snuff out danger, win challenges, not have teams just running through and past us etc will help.

But is 4 senior centre halves - 3 of who have dodgy fitness records enough? It is IMO risky.

My view is we need 1 more midfield addition and a centre half - do that and I think we are set fair.

Van Dijk isn't finished but there are two problems, one he can solve and the other he can't. He's always been a player who football has come easy for -  now he has to overcome the mental challenge of not being as good as he was. 

Stick him in Newcastle or Manchester United last season and he can get the pipe and slippers out. We know Klopp asks a lot of his CB. A man who was as good as he was and his ego will relish shoving the words down people's throats for doubting him - let's hope he can do it. 

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

There is no doubt that the team being broken did not help and fixing problems in front of the defence like the press, ability to sense and snuff out danger, win challenges, not have teams just running through and past us etc will help.

But is 4 senior centre halves - 3 of who have dodgy fitness records enough? It is IMO risky.

My view is we need 1 more midfield addition and a centre half - do that and I think we are set fair.

Agreed if Van Dijk is on the slide then we got to start thinking about a young replacement but it’s a joke the 3rd richest club according to turnover in the world can’t buy a boss defensive midfielder and a young centre back unless we sell apparently FSG can’t walk and chew bubblegum at the same time 

17 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

As per the tweet, Nuno Santo wants to sign him for Al Ittihad. Negotiations are at an advanced stage. Not a reliable source though.

I read some of the comments, mostly from Al Ittihad fans who are not too chuffed about having him.

The tweet was written by a fan. Nothing formal.

29 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

As per the tweet, Nuno Santo wants to sign him for Al Ittihad. Negotiations are at an advanced stage. Not a reliable source though.

I read some of the comments, mostly from Al Ittihad fans who are not too chuffed about having him.

The tweet was written by a fan. Nothing formal.

Maybe they might join you on a home made submarine and drop it off the grand canyon to see if it can fly?