You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chromebooks

Elite

Any advice on these?

I want it to watch videos, do some art work and basically stream stuff.

I want one that runs smoothly without all the lag you often get with laptops. 

Don't mind paying upto about £700 but cheaper the better, providing it's a good one!

41 minutes ago, Elite said:

What would you suggest?

It depends what you really want it for. What type of art? If you're into drawing and painting (digitally) then it's commonly known that the iPads with the 'magic' pencil is the daddy, but if not then a proper laptop is way more functional. Tell me a bit more about what you want to use it for mate, because ChromeOS is basically browser and webapps. It's restrictive, I think.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It depends what you really want it for. What type of art? If you're into drawing and painting (digitally) then it's commonly known that the iPads with the 'magic' pencil is the daddy, but if not then a proper laptop is way more functional. Tell me a bit more about what you want to use it for mate, because ChromeOS is basically browser and webapps. It's restrictive, I think.

Streaming videos (YouTube, IPTV, Kodi) and I'm going to be starting doing some online art courses (Mostly pen and paper to be honest) I just need the browser to run smoothly and be quick/efficient. Might learn Photoshop as well.

Basically, I want fast, smooth and efficient!

The nerds on here know their stuff.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/chromebook

I deffo wouldn't be paying over £300 for one to be honest, that's the USP of them really. 

I've got an old one but not that fussed on them as everything has to be saved on Drive, I'm old school and quite like my desktop folders.

They're good for what you want them for though, don't slow down or constantly demand updates, think they're impervious to most viruses too, if not all. 

• Upvote 1

As Section says, you shouldn't be paying over £300 for a Chromebook. Equally, you probably shouldn't be paying under about £400 for a Windows laptop. Macs are out of your price range, and I wouldn't recommend them anyway unless you had a very specific reason for wanting one.

There are plenty of 'everyday' laptops on here- https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ct/laptops-and-netbooks/laptops/everyday

You should be looking for at least 8 gigs of RAM, an SSD and (my preference) an Intel i-whatever processor. I'd avoid the no-name ones and look for an established brand. Screen size is up to you, it's trade-off between portability or 'the view'. If you see something you like, just Google reviews for it and see if it's cheaper elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mudface said:

As Section says, you shouldn't be paying over £300 for a Chromebook. Equally, you probably shouldn't be paying under about £400 for a Windows laptop. Macs are out of your price range, and I wouldn't recommend them anyway unless you had a very specific reason for wanting one.

There are plenty of 'everyday' laptops on here- https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ct/laptops-and-netbooks/laptops/everyday

You should be looking for at least 8 gigs of RAM, an SSD and (my preference) an Intel i-whatever processor. I'd avoid the no-name ones and look for an established brand. Screen size is up to you, it's trade-off between portability or 'the view'. If you see something you like, just Google reviews for it and see if it's cheaper elsewhere.

Every windows one I've had, slows down massively after a year. That's why I was looking into Chromebooks.

Might be because I bought shit laptops, mind.

Just now, Elite said:

Every windows one I've had, slows down massively after a year. That's why I was looking into Chromebooks.

Vista was a big problem a few years back. It was shit and was installed on a ton of under-specced laptops which should have stuck with XP. Windows 7 and 10 have been fine though, 8 was Vista with AIDS.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, in that price range then a windows laptop is probably your best bet. You can probably get a decent one for your budget, though I’m long out of the windows laptop market so can’t give you specific recommendations. Photoshop is easy to come by, so when the time comes just send me a PM and I’ll, erm, report you. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Vista was a big problem a few years back. It was shit and was installed on a ton of under-specced laptops which should have stuck with XP. Windows 7 and 10 have been fine though, 8 was Vista with AIDS.

Windows 11 has a bit of the Vista stank on it, to be honest. I upgraded back to windows 10. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Windows 11 has a bit of the Vista stank on it, to be honest. I upgraded back to windows 10. 

Shit, does it? Not tried it yet, apparently my PC doesn't meet whatever weird requirements Microsoft are insisting on. It can run Crysis, Witcher 3 and Doom Eternal with no problem, but not an OS? Fuck'outta here.

5 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Shit, does it? Not tried it yet, apparently my PC doesn't meet whatever weird requirements Microsoft are insisting on. It can run Crysis, Witcher 3 and Doom Eternal with no problem, but not an OS? Fuck'outta here.

Yeah, it’s less than a lick of paint. It’s actually just a few UI changes that actually make things worse. I know there’s a few other bits, but mostly nothing substantial. It’s becoming less customisable without registry tinkering. They’ve taken a few features away, for absolutely no reason.

Grumble grumble. Damn Germans. In my day…

2 hours ago, Elite said:

Just out of interest- does it have to be a laptop, or do you have room for a desktop? You'd get much more bang for your buck with one. Plus, it'd open up a fuckload of games if you're interested in that (just not the more demanding ones from the last couple of years at decent quality). 

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, it’s less than a lick of paint. It’s actually just a few UI changes that actually make things worse. I know there’s a few other bits, but mostly nothing substantial. It’s becoming less customisable without registry tinkering. They’ve taken a few features away, for absolutely no reason.

Grumble grumble. Damn Germans. In my day…

Hmm, I reran that Health Check thing they have, and (aside from an i5-4670K not being supported for no good reason), the sticking point seems to be this TPM bollocks. I don't ever want that shit- 

42 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Just out of interest- does it have to be a laptop, or do you have room for a desktop? You'd get much more bang for your buck with one. Plus, it'd open up a fuckload of games if you're interested in that (just not the more demanding ones from the last couple of years at decent quality). 

Needs to be a laptop/portable as I take it to work etc.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Elite said:

Looks OK. There are plenty of videos on YouTube about inserting a sim card, but you'd best check with the seller if it can be done on that particular model.

• Upvote 1