You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

21 hours ago, Section_31 said:

75qz6s.jpg

“Hi is that the shareholders? Great, how are thi-yeah, comes round sooner every year doesn’t it? Yeah quiet one, probably just stay in. Anyway, duty bound to report offers aren’t I - moral and immoral - and basically, funny story actually, there was a horse’s head in my bed when I woke up this morning along with a pack of Jaffa cakes and I think we should accept it.”

From what I've read recently, Inter are desperate for money. It feels like we always get good deals with clubs who are in need of a sale. Benfica and Brighton don't strike me as needing to sell.

Go and put down 70m for Nico Barella, 52m up front and the rest in bonuses. If it gets rejected then fair fucks, but he'd be an insane signing and actually worth the money. Funnily Bellingham has often mentioned him as one of his favorite midfielders so bringing him in might make it easier to buy Jude in the summer.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

A few rumours of us being interested in Enzo Le Fee. I thought he was a blag made up player like that Didier Baptiste from Dream Team that a few journos then reported and looked silly. Apparently he does exist and he plays for Lorient, he is similar in playing style to Thiago but ten years younger. Also wouldn't cost an absolute fortune.

Listening to some Lorient fans talk about Le Fee and they're all convinced that whoever gets him will be getting a huge bargain. Brought them up from Ligue 2, has them in 3rd this season in Ligue 1 ... all sounds a bit Kante, really. Just coming into his prime as he turns 23 in a month, quite an intriguing one if the fee is as low as rumoured.

32 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Listening to some Lorient fans talk about Le Fee and they're all convinced that whoever gets him will be getting a huge bargain. Brought them up from Ligue 2, has them in 3rd this season in Ligue 1 ... all sounds a bit Kante, really. Just coming into his prime as he turns 23 in a month, quite an intriguing one if the fee is as low as rumoured.

What I see?

2 footed, tenacious, creative, has some pace and swagger, reminds me a bit of Coutinho but with more grit. Also has a wicked shot.

I'm that fucking sick and tired of our current crop of shithouse midfielders that I struggle to be objective, but of course Pepe Le Pew would be a huge upgrade.

Bring him in.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Scott_M said:

IMO, it going down isn’t the point. 

He’s played c.20 game for Brighton, IMO, at this time, c.£70m isn’t realistic. 

Have him play c.50 games at the same level and £60/70m might be a good deal. At the moment, for  player they allegedly pay £3.5k per week, after c.20

appearances & asking for >£60m is nonsense. 

Same with Fernandez. Only made his international debut in September. He’s only played c.60 professional matches and his value has gone from c.£10 to c.£100m…..

Currently both clubs, as they’re right, IMO, are pricing their players out the market. 

This is the problem with the game now though. 

If the club don't want to be speculate a bit and sign 3 or 4 players direct from South America/Africa etc and want to wait to see how they get on then they have to be prepared to pay these sorts of numbers. 

Maybe it's why the likes of Graham are leaving because they are recommending them beforehand. Maybe not. 

It doesn't feel like a coincidence that City (and even Chelsea) are starting to buy players direct. 

I am not sure why we aren't doing it more. I kinda understood it a bit more when we were great across the pitch but recently? 

You could make the same argument for not buying midfielders in the summer. Anyone we bring in now is likely to have been an option in the summer and possibly for less money. 

All that aside though, if Caciedo is the one I would be delighted if we get him. His acceleration across the ground reminds me of Mascherano. While I feel we need some of the skills that Fernandez offers in the longer term, in the more immediate term I think Caciedo would give us much more of what we lack. 

If Chelsea get him and Enzo then hopefully we would get one of Thuram or Kone (that is assuming that Chelsea don't bid another £200m for them as well!). 

Either way it does feel like there is a lot of quality out there that may well be available this month. 

3 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

What I see?

2 footed, tenacious, creative, has some pace and swagger, reminds me a bit of Coutinho but with more grit. Also has a wicked shot.

I'm that fucking sick and tired of our current crop of shithouse midfielders that I struggle to be objective, but of course Pepe Le Pew would be a huge upgrade.

Bring him in.

That sounds like a good comparison with Coutinho from what I have seen of him. 

If we are after him does that mean we are going for 2 this month? 

I like the idea of a midfielder like Coutinho in our midfield but I don't see how it really addresses the biggest issues we have at the minute. He looks great in possession but in terms of protecting the back four, having a physical presence, enough pace to protect the slower midfielders. It doesn't seem his game (albeit based from 1 or 2 YouTube videos).

Kone, Thuram and Caciedo I can see providing all of those qualities. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

From what I've read recently, Inter are desperate for money. It feels like we always get good deals with clubs who are in need of a sale. Benfica and Brighton don't strike me as needing to sell.

Go and put down 70m for Nico Barella, 52m up front and the rest in bonuses. If it gets rejected then fair fucks, but he'd be an insane signing and actually worth the money. Funnily Bellingham has often mentioned him as one of his favorite midfielders so bringing him in might make it easier to buy Jude in the summer.

I'll openly admit my knowledge of midfielders is waning with age. 

Besides the time we played Brighton, I don't think I've ever seen caicedo play. 

But I have seen barella play, and like yourself, I think he's absolutely superb. 

The one thing we've lacked since wijnaldum left, is a player that can receive a ball in a tight situation, not panic, and just twist and turn his way out of trouble. Barella has that in spades, his touch is out of this world, and he has a good eye for goal as well. 

Whether this caicedo lad is another ngolo kante or not, I genuinely don't know. But I've always thought, barella would be perfect for us as well. Excellent player. 

Up rooting him from Italy wouldn't be easy though, he seems rather settled in Milan, has a young family to if im not mistaken. Perhaps he just doesn't fancy leaving home. No harm in that to be fair

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

We can play 3 six-footers up front if we want, and still have pace to beat a man, and can all shoot from range...

Diaz - Darwin - Gakpo

Yeah but that’s not what I asked was it? Has there ever been a good lanky winger? 6’2” or above - get to it Bumcunt!

4 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Don't think we can afford such a big le fee on notre budget.