You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nvidia Shield and other streaming devices

My main streaming device is a Beelink GT King and it's the dog's bollocks, but I also use an old H96 Android box with the projector up in the loft. That thing is on it's last legs.

I've just been awarded £250 as a long service award at work, so I've been thinking about replacing the H96 with an Nvidia Shield.

Never used one though, so I was wondering whether they're worth the hype and the cash? Also, which version of the Shield is better; the TV or the Pro?

Considering I'm not remotely arsed about gaming but would like ethernet and possibly USB connectivity, which version would be the best for me?

Finally, is there another streaming device which I'm overlooking, which should also be under consideration?

I used to only use the chinese boxes likes H96, Tanix etc but over time come to the conclusion that you can't beat firesticks. They have to be suitable for your set-up i.e good wireless coverage etc but if they work beautifully and IMHO you can't get much better for the price.

My firesticks are hidden away at the back of the TV's, the USB power cable is powered by the TV itself, so need for a plug socket and most TV's support HDMI-CEC straight out the box, so the TV remote also powers the Firestick.

Buy them on Prime Day or Black Friday and they are very reasonable priced. You can also get a usb splitter dongle that will allow you to split from the power cable to add a 2nd cable for a USB connection. Some firesticks may not support all video codecs so you would need to check what ones you where playing and any file-size limitations.

I take a crappy projector away with me each year and watch the footy from a firestick, always worked as required and that was on shitty resort wifi.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I ended up buying the Nvidia Shield TV Pro and my thoughts on it are mixed.

I loathe the user interface and the limited Android TV operating system, it's such a needlessly restrictive pain in the arse when compared to the full Android opsys of my Beelink GT King box, infuriatingly so at times.

However, that is a small grumble when contrasting to the Shield's streaming performance, which is just flawless.

As I type this, I'm watching the 100 and the Forest v Spurs game in multi-screen HD. The Shield just doesn't buffer at all.

The hype is real.