You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Car bomb at the women’s hospital

Red74

Just now, Bjornebye said:

My point being that whilst people were of course speculating (completely normal with things like this) SD just wanted to be right and that's all he was arsed about. Personally I suggested maybe it might be an anti-abortion nutter but was really hoping it was a car malfunction. 

Understandable when he's getting stick for his speculation, no?

I don't get why speculating its "anti-vaxers" whatever that means is okay but speculating its Muslims isn't. In my view no speculations in those early pages were covering themselves in glory. 

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Happened at 10:59 according to that video. Nice to see that the people who said it happened at 11 o'clock were wrong. 

In fairness, that really doesn't disprove the theory that it was intended to go off at 11.00: I think one thing we can all agree on is that this attack didn't go to plan.

5 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I don't get why speculating its "anti-vaxers" whatever that means is okay but speculating its Muslims isn't. In my view no speculations in those early pages were covering themselves in glory. 

Personally I didn't have a problem with his speculation. Let's face it, we probably all immediately thought 'Islamists' so I have no problem with that part whatsoever. It was the straight in snide point scoring and accusing someone of trolling for just suggesting anti-vaxxers. 

EDIT: I've been guilty of similar so I'm not saying it's exclusive to SD. 

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

One person said he suspected it.

Bjornebye

"A hospital who are doing vaccination clinics, not far from Sefton Park where anti-vaxxers have been demonstrating today being targeted.... I think wondering if it's anti-vaxxers going too far is a fair thing to ask?" 

Nelly-Torres

Ooh, confirmed that 1 dead and 1 injured and that Counter Terrorism will handle investigation going forward. 

Bet it's the anti-vax loons. 

Can we not re-write history in real time please? 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Personally I didn't have a problem with his speculation. Let's face it, we probably all immediately thought 'Islamists' so I have no problem with that part whatsoever. It was the straight in snide point scoring and accusing someone of trolling for just suggesting anti-vaxxers. 

If you scold someone for thinking it might be Muslims you open yourself up to being told "I told you so" if it is Muslims. 

I bet if it had been "anti-vaxers" there would have been no point scoring. Right?

1 minute ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Can we not re-write history in real time please? 

Yeah in context that was me explaining why Nelly might have suspected anti-vaxxers. let's not try and re-write history. I suggested anti-abortioners. 

Just now, Jordy Brouwer said:

If you scold someone for thinking it might be Muslims you open yourself up to being told "I told you so" if it is Muslims. 

I bet if it had been "anti-vaxers" there would have been no point scoring. Right?

Is that aimed at me? Pretty sure I haven't done that here. 

So who do we think is winning in the daily cock-waving Olympics?

At the moment we have Stronts heroically being righter than everyone else, but everyone else being much more impressively moral citizens, by caring more about the real issue at hand than he does.

Its almost impossible to separate who’s windmilling is the more triumphant. As Jim Watt would say, it just depends on what you’re giving points for. A real pick ‘em fight.

• Upvote 6

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Yeah in context that was me explaining why Nelly might have suspected anti-vaxxers. let's not try and re-write history. I suggested anti-abortioners. 

Yes that's much better. Anyway I'm done with this point but it amazes me how some kinds of identitarianism are seen as righteous and some not. 

For me speculating in the early stages that its your bogeymen is the same as the other guy speculating its his bogeymen. 

14 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Decent people wait for facts before jumping in to "round up the usual suspects".

It's not what I fucking wrote, is it? I said there were more obvious suspects than anti-vaxxers. Which there were. It's a simple application of probability. 

3 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

My main problem (apart from the obvious one that all baseless speculation is useless, at best) is that we live in a country that's lousy with racism: the "blame the Muzzies" knee-jerk is dangerous and leads to innocent people being attacked and abused in the real world. It's bad enough seeing that response where we most expect it - from racist propagandists in the right-wing media - but it's almost worse to see supposedly intelligent liberals dressing it up as something rational and correct.

2 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Yes that's much better. Anyway I'm done with this point but it amazes me how some kinds of identitarianism are seen as righteous and some not. 

For me speculating in the early stages that its your bogeymen is the same as the other guy speculating its his bogeymen. 

Like I've said, I've got no problem with his initial suspicion. It was this I didn't like:

In before an apologist for Islamist extremism tries to deflect away from the obvious suspects.

oh wait

3 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

So who do we think is winning in the daily cock-waving Olympics?

At the moment we have Stronts heroically being righter than everyone else, but everyone else being much more impressively moral citizens, by caring more about the real issue at hand than he does.

Its almost impossible to separate who’s windmilling is the more triumphant. As Jim Watt would say, it just depends on what you’re giving points for. A real pick ‘em fight.

To be fair I congratulated him on his victory.