You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Golf thread / my new project

dave u

22 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I've had one for yonks. I original bought it because my old Taylor Made Rescue was shit out of the long stuff but great from the fairway. The 7 wood is a decent club. I'd argue most recreational players should ditch their 3 wood and carry 5 and 7 woods. Ditch 3 and/or 4 iron too.

I've ditched 3, 4 and 5 iron now as well as my hybrids. I'm good with my 3 wood off the deck though so I'm keeping that, but I am planning on getting a 5 wood as there's too much of a gap now between my 3 wood and the 7 wood.

On 07/12/2022 at 03:37, dave u said:

Bought a 7 wood recently and it's boss. 

I wrote this about it. Any clicks would be appreciated.

https://www.t3.com/features/why-you-need-a-7-wood

I was thinking about getting a 7 wood but thought it might not help me but I am battling with my 5 iron so maybe worth seeing if I can get one to try. Enjoyed the review btw.

22 hours ago, dave u said:

I was fitted for my irons but the standard lie and loft was fine for me. Are you exceptionally tall? Otherwise they won't be too short for you and you should be able to just buy off the rack (or second hand on ebay etc).

You should definitely get fitted for a driver though. It's not so important with other clubs but driver is different. I was fitted in American Golf a few years ago, but that was really basic and I don't think I really got anything out of it.

A couple of weeks ago I got an invite to Wilson Staff's media day and part of it was that their professional fitters (lads who deal with the tour pros) would give all of us a proper fitting with Wilson's new driver. Turns out that the shaft I was using (and thought was the right one for me) was not helping me at all. They swapped it for a different one which was lower spinning and lower launch, and the difference was immediately noticeable.

So it's worth paying to get fitted for a driver. You only need to do it once because when you know what shaft you need you can just get that put into any driver you might buy in future.

Nice one Dave, that’s interesting I didn’t know that about a driver. I was using an old one given to me as part of that set which I literally couldn’t hit a few years back, before getting a new one which I can hit ok now, but I may go and get measured for that. 

I'm gonna treat myself to some new clubs for Christmas so any recommendations for irons would be appreciated. Maybe looking to spend between £600- £900 depending on what’s available. Any ideas? 

On 06/12/2022 at 20:06, VladimirIlyich said:

I've had one for yonks. I original bought it because my old Taylor Made Rescue was shit out of the long stuff but great from the fairway. The 7 wood is a decent club. I'd argue most recreational players should ditch their 3 wood and carry 5 and 7 woods. Ditch 3 and/or 4 iron too.

I've a 5 and 6 iron in the bag I'd be surprised if I've ever used bar a few shots on the range. Once I go below the 8 iron the rescue club is generally coming out. Might actually sell them because the situation will never change.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not going to lie - I very much disliked McIlroy for a long time.  From his initial Irish Olympic team semi-snub, to negative comments about the Ryder Cup many years ago, to a seemingly elitist attitude to others.   

Those were all clearly just growing pains, or with regards to the last one, wrong.  I wouldn't normally change my opinion totally about someone, but the way McIlroy has carried himself over the last number of years has been exemplary.  From the LIV golf thing, to his general demeaner and professionalism and the way he speaks about the game and it's growth, is fantastic.  I literally was laughing out loud when he collapsed at the Masters, I now can't wait for the day I get to see him put on the green jacket.  Top bloke.

And as for Patrick Reed, not just having the legal docs sent to McIlroy the day before Christmas, but Justin Thomas's arrived 2 days before his wedding.  I know Reed won't have timed that, but he sure as hell could have said wait until after Christmas/the wedding.  The twat.  No wonder his nickname on tour is "table for one".

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

I'm not going to lie - I very much disliked McIlroy for a long time.  From his initial Irish Olympic team semi-snub, to negative comments about the Ryder Cup many years ago, to a seemingly elitist attitude to others.   

Those were all clearly just growing pains, or with regards to the last one, wrong.  I wouldn't normally change my opinion totally about someone, but the way McIlroy has carried himself over the last number of years has been exemplary.  From the LIV golf thing, to his general demeaner and professionalism and the way he speaks about the game and it's growth, is fantastic.  I literally was laughing out loud when he collapsed at the Masters, I now can't wait for the day I get to see him put on the green jacket.  Top bloke.

And as for Patrick Reed, not just having the legal docs sent to McIlroy the day before Christmas, but Justin Thomas's arrived 2 days before his wedding.  I know Reed won't have timed that, but he sure as hell could have said wait until after Christmas/the wedding.  The twat.  No wonder his nickname on tour is "table for one".

I was on the same page as you however I haven't moved quite as far. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if he's teeing up with LIV in 3 years time.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 02/11/2022 at 14:16, lifetime fan said:

The youngest doesn’t go back to school until tomorrow and his Mam wanted us to do housework and tidy his bedroom. 

So we spent the day on the driving range and went for subway instead. 

3CDAFC2C-A0CB-4FCE-BA3F-67EF92605B33.png

Took him to the driving range again today. 

Once he calms down and concentrates he’s driving 100 yards arrow straight. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Wish I had time to keep up the golf round ups I was writing a while back because I've got loads of thoughts on this Michael Block stuff. 

Initially I thought it was great, but there's something massively insincere and fake about the fella. His reaction to the hole in one last week was phoney as fuck, asking Rory "did it go in? Really? No. Did it go in" when he'd already been high fiving people because he knew it was in. Big red flag there.

Then him doing 30 interviews this week and saying he'd be one of the best in the world if he could drive as far as Rory showed some serious delusions of grandeur. Following those comments up by shooting +12 in the first round was hilarious. What a tool.

Enjoyed the article mate. When it ends up in the rough stuff like that, I try to twat it with an iron in the hope that I end up in a decent position on the fairway.

Do you reckon you could write something about mindset? Most of my best holes, I put everything out of my mind and just hit the ball. Whenever I overthink, it all goes wrong.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, dave u said:

Wish I had time to keep up the golf round ups I was writing a while back because I've got loads of thoughts on this Michael Block stuff. 

Initially I thought it was great, but there's something massively insincere and fake about the fella. His reaction to the hole in one last week was phoney as fuck, asking Rory "did it go in? Really? No. Did it go in" when he'd already been high fiving people because he knew it was in. Big red flag there.

Then him doing 30 interviews this week and saying he'd be one of the best in the world if he could drive as far as Rory showed some serious delusions of grandeur. Following those comments up by shooting +12 in the first round was hilarious. What a tool.

Largely agree. This is a guy who has shot a 58 in his life and has won a bunch of regional tournaments in California, he's no scrub, yet the media saw an opportunity to frame his story as if it was the greatest underdog story ever told. He then saw this and played along a little too well.

I don't really blame him for trying to take advantage of his moment of fame, but it's funny how he's doing the aw shucks thing and then all of a sudden, he's saying he'd be Rory if he could hit the ball far. Not very congruous is it. Would say it's been more the media's fault than his, though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Cringey as hell, that part. The more he was interviewed, the more fake he sounded unfortunately. Used cars salesman? I guess there's a little bit of that in a few of the PGA professionals too (they are selling their services instead of used cars).

Anyway, I thought it was good fun, and had he not done the double-check with Rory, the HIO would have been even more special. The par save on 18 was pretty impressive under pressure.

• Upvote 1

Blocks had 25 PGA tour starts its not exactly the tin cup story the PGA keep trying to push. The whole thing in general just comes off as forced and insincere.

Played for the first time this year yesterday and shot 94, was really frustrating after putting in a fair amount of work over winter. I strike the ball well and I hit it more than long enough to play scratch but my course management is all over the shop and anything off line gets max punishment with the length I can hit it. Also can't putt to save my life even though my stroke is pretty decent, maybe it'll all just get better the more rounds I put in but hard to pinpoint what the exact issue is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gooch said:

Blocks had 25 PGA tour starts its not exactly the tin cup story the PGA keep trying to push. The whole thing in general just comes off as forced and insincere.

Played for the first time this year yesterday and shot 94, was really frustrating after putting in a fair amount of work over winter. I strike the ball well and I hit it more than long enough to play scratch but my course management is all over the shop and anything off line gets max punishment with the length I can hit it. Also can't putt to save my life even though my stroke is pretty decent, maybe it'll all just get better the more rounds I put in but hard to pinpoint what the exact issue is.

Do you miss it both ways? If you're long you have an inherent advantage. If you develop a predictable miss, you could improve quickly. 

• Upvote 1