You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Band Tournament - Round 2 - Van Halen vs The Monkees

Bjornebye

US Band Tournament - Round 2 - Van Halen vs The Monkees  

45 members have voted

1. 1. US Band Tournament - Round 2 - Van Halen vs The Monkees

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/09/20 at 07:45

3 hours ago, Juniper said:

All good points.

Essentially, for me, anyone who's been manufactured isn't a band. They are a musical group or act. Even on Day Dream Beliver they were putting on blag scouse accents to try and sound like The Beatles. It's a good song but I can't stand the vocals for that reason.

Proper bands have paid their dues, have played the spit and sawdust venues probably at times to fuck all, got attention before someone took a punt on them and gave them a record deal. Then what follows is a mixture of talent, label backing and good fortune/luck to get the attention of the masses - then, with legendary bands, have sustained that career. 

It's a lot of hard work being in a band that people don't see. It's not all drink, drugs....etc as people tend to romanticise over. It's a lot more boring than that and a lot more hard work.

For every photo of your favourite rock star holding/swigging a bottle of Jack Daniels backstage with the bottle cap still on is another 30 photos of them sober as a nun in the studio, but of course that's not 'Rock N Roll' and all that nonsense.

Acts that have been manufactured and have been thrust into the limelight via a TV show aren't a band, despite what they may later become as they essentially have been given a leg up. Even when The Monkees started writing their own stuff near the end of their career they were still playing other people's music. 

Hence my earlier comparison to One Direction. Another 'band' who were created for a/on a TV show and completely manufacturered.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is anyone who voted for The Monkees loves One Direction.

No dig to Stig for putting them in, for me though they aren't a 'band'

Many A&R people would say most if not all bands are "manufactured" to an extent.

28 minutes ago, aws said:

Manufactured they may have been but millions of people know and enjoy their music nearly half a century later. Nobody will ever say that about One Direction. Or Van Halen. 

I'm sure they'll be out soon enough. 

Of course they’ll say that about One Direction. The kids who grew up with them will remember them as it’s part of their childhood.

The Millions of people who are fans of Van Halen will still keep playing their records in 2 years time when that band turns 50 - plus they currently have more than double the amount of monthly plays on Spotify than the Monkees (4million vs 9mil) for example.

But we’re moving away from my original point in that they aren’t a real band, in my view. 

• Upvote 1