Quantcast
Great Sporting Photos - Page 6 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Great Sporting Photos

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Is it even possible to look at that picture without going "WEEEEEEEE!!!"

I think its your age, try them mens tena pads

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Any idea what Viv's t shirt was about 'No cricket in Guyana? Some kind of civil unrest?

No clue mate, a cursory glance at Wikipedia and Google didn't shed any light on it.

1 hour ago, Vector Sigma said:

No clue mate, a cursory glance at Wikipedia and Google didn't shed any light on it.

Did some from Guyana play in South Africa? I read something the other day about someone in the 80s and how they'd been ostracised, not sure  probably wrong. 

Viv Richards was from Antigua wasn't he? 

7 hours ago, easytoslip said:

Did some from Guyana play in South Africa? I read something the other day about someone in the 80s and how they'd been ostracised, not sure  probably wrong. 

Viv Richards was from Antigua wasn't he? 

Yeah,he is. Must have been something going on within the West Indian set up at the time.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yeah,he is. Must have been something going on within the West Indian set up at the time.

Don't know a lot but wasn't there a tour of RSA in the 60s? D'oliveira springs to mind though I know he's South African but later on late 70s early 80s I'm sure something went on as in a controversial tour by the West Indies, maybe a Kerry Packer all star tour thing? 

3 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Don't know a lot but wasn't there a tour of RSA in the 60s? D'oliveira springs to mind though I know he's South African but later on late 70s early 80s I'm sure something went on as in a controversial tour by the West Indies, maybe a Kerry Packer all star tour thing? 

The Kerry Packer thing was mid to late 70s and other cricketers toured South Africa around the same time. Just seems quite specific to Guyana. Maybe the Jim Jones thing,around 78?

58 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The Kerry Packer thing was mid to late 70s and other cricketers toured South Africa around the same time. Just seems quite specific to Guyana. Maybe the Jim Jones thing,around 78?

Yeah could be, fuckin' grim episode that. 

This one might be on here already, I haven’t seen the whole thread.

Mohammed Ali (Cassius Clay as he was then) standing over Sonny Liston after a ‘phantom punch’ did more damage than it perhaps should have done. Ali himself shouted at Liston, as he lay on the ground, imploring him to get up and fight.

Edit: Seen it on the thread now. Still a great photo though. 

26375C15-50BA-4D7D-821D-9DE53BA64F8C.jpeg

Edited by YorkshireRed