You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Las Vegas shooting

Rico1304

The fact that he was able to acquire such a cache of weapons and fire them into an open air concert is a political point.

Take Sandy Hook, for example.  I can't think of anything more political than having your child slaughtered in a place where they are meant to be learning about life. 

No one is saying there aren't politics associated with his actions. We disagree, at least so far 1) on whether they played a part in his motive 2) and whether they are required to be to define it as terrorism

• Upvote 1

Mariah Carey on GMTV saying that they hope that the killer is found soon and the victims can get some closure.

Good job she has big tits and has made money from her songs.

Did they not ask her live on air as drama was unfolding? When she was actually on to promote her music?

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/good-morning-britain-mariah-carey-interview-las-vegas-shooting-backlash-christmas-tree-a7978736.html

Good Morning Britain’s hosts have been criticised for questioning Mariah Carey on the Las Vegas shootings during a pre-arranged interview.

At least 50 people were killed and more than 200 injured at the Route 91 Harvest country music festival near the Mandalay Bay Hotel.

Lying back on a sofa wearing a red dress, a Christmas tree in the background, Carey discussed her upcoming UK Christmas shows before being asked about the incident.

“Mariah, you’ve played in Vegas many times. You know that in at this time of night it would be massively busy,” host Piers Morgan said.

“What is your reaction, just on a human level, to concert goers, fans of music, people who love performers like yourself, who have paid money to watch people perform on stage being targeted… Just your reaction on a human level to people that enjoy music being targeted in this way.”

Carey answered: “It’s terrible because people just going out to listen to music and that’s what they want to do. Really, they’re out for the night and something shocking like this happens and nobody could have expected it. It’s just wrong. I don’t really know what to say.”

Many people on Twitter were outraged by the incident, one writing: “Shame on Good Morning Britain, using a pre-planned Mariah Carey interview to blindside her about Vegas shooting. Classless tactics and now she's getting stick.”

Did they not ask her live on air as drama was unfolding? When she was actually on to promote her music?

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/good-morning-britain-mariah-carey-interview-las-vegas-shooting-backlash-christmas-tree-a7978736.html

Good Morning Britain’s hosts have been criticised for questioning Mariah Carey on the Las Vegas shootings during a pre-arranged interview.

At least 50 people were killed and more than 200 injured at the Route 91 Harvest country music festival near the Mandalay Bay Hotel.

Lying back on a sofa wearing a red dress, a Christmas tree in the background, Carey discussed her upcoming UK Christmas shows before being asked about the incident.

“Mariah, you’ve played in Vegas many times. You know that in at this time of night it would be massively busy,” host Piers Morgan said.

“What is your reaction, just on a human level, to concert goers, fans of music, people who love performers like yourself, who have paid money to watch people perform on stage being targeted… Just your reaction on a human level to people that enjoy music being targeted in this way.”

Carey answered: “It’s terrible because people just going out to listen to music and that’s what they want to do. Really, they’re out for the night and something shocking like this happens and nobody could have expected it. It’s just wrong. I don’t really know what to say.”

Many people on Twitter were outraged by the incident, one writing: “Shame on Good Morning Britain, using a pre-planned Mariah Carey interview to blindside her about Vegas shooting. Classless tactics and now she's getting stick.”

Pity Piers Fucking Morgan wasn't among those shot.

• Upvote 2

Timothy McVeigh perpetrated the Oklahoma City Bombing some years after Islamists first tried to blow up the World Trade Center. So, no.

No, I know this, obviously.

But I'm also confident that if you'd have asked 1,000 people on the New York streets who Al Qaeda were, "a heavy metal band" would have been above "an Islamic terrorist group" in their answers.

They would have had no idea where or what Mogadishu was, either.

So I would say that to all intents and purposes, Islamic terrorism started on 11th September 2001.

I reckon if Timothy McVie had have done Oklahoma last week, the portrayal of him would be different from the way it was in 1995.

No, I know this, obviously.

But I'm also confident that if you'd have asked 1,000 people on the New York streets who Al Qaeda were, "a heavy metal band" would have been above "an Islamic terrorist group" in their answers.

They would have had no idea where or what Mogadishu was, either.

So I would say that to all intents and purposes, Islamic terrorism started on 11th September 2001.

I reckon if Timothy McVie had have done Oklahoma last week, the portrayal of him would be different from the way it was in 1995.

Unless you were on the USS Cole, or US embassies in Kenya, Tanzania or Beruit.

• Upvote 1

They all happened before 9/11.

I know.  Obviously.

I'm talking about public consciousness.  Public discourse. 

The shift was from foreign soil to American soil.

Media representation and political economy - public discourse as led by media discourse.  Islamic terrorism from September 2001 onwards was different to Islamic terrorism pre September 2001.  We can only speculate, obviously, but I believe McVie's terrorism label would be not as clear cut if he had bombed Oklahoma in 2016.

Anyway, I'm sure you do understand the point I am making.

I know. Obviously.

I'm talking about public consciousness. Public discourse.

The shift was from foreign soil to American soil.

Media representation and political economy - public discourse as led by media discourse. Islamic terrorism from September 2001 onwards was different to Islamic terrorism pre September 2001. We can only speculate, obviously, but I believe McVie's terrorism label would be not as clear cut if he had bombed Oklahoma in 2016.

Anyway, I'm sure you do understand the point I am making.

As you said the main difference was it went from being something 'over there' to being on home soil. But any country would be impacted by such a massive and iconic attack. Imagine us losing Buckingham Palace or such like.

Plus there weren't and still aren't many Muslims in the US so the average Joe wouldn't have had any interaction with them.

This one works in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcy6oYJ_Urk

Haha brilliant! "Those police, they were running towards the shooter and you can't even fucking stand for the anthem!" Fox is having a real bad couple of days trying to find someone to blame.

They should blame Dan whatever his fucking surname. He ran away. The man has a gazillion guns and he shit himself. He's the good guy with the gun, Kryptonite for bad guys with guns. I might actually tweet Fox in a bit.

• Upvote 1

Disgusting how they're putting the Phillipino girlfriend that wasn't even in the country on the front of news websites, trying to make it look like it was a joint effort. They could never accept that a white man is actually an evil prick and not mentally ill or a pushed over the edge good guy or whatever other nonsense they come up with.

She is his girlfriend, arguably the closest person to him.  She is going to be newsworthy, rightly or wrongly.  

Yours is the first comment I've read anywhere mentioning "joint effort".

I would also suggest that joint effort clearly contradicts the popular media portrayals so far of "lone wolf".

Disgusting how they're putting the Phillipino girlfriend that wasn't even in the country on the front of news websites, trying to make it look like it was a joint effort. They could never accept that a white man is actually an evil prick and not mentally ill or a pushed over the edge good guy or whatever other nonsense they come up with.

The attempt that you and many others are making in order to make this about race is quite bizarre. The question that is legitimately being asked, rather than prejudged, is did he do this because of religious or political reasons, was it a mental break, was there even a reason... investigations happen. If they find it to be domestic terrorism, that’s what they’ll call it. If they find out he was one guy who was evil, that’s what they’ll call it.

The issue for many is that if a brown guy with a suicide vest blows himself up and takes a load of civilians with him, people don’t wait as long to judge whether it’s terrorism. Well, that’s perfectly legitimate too. It fits into a pattern of events that has been happening semi-regularly for 20 years. It has nothing to do with them being white or not. Or believing a white person can be an evil prick. If, for the next 20 years, a group (far right Neo-Nazis, feminists, alt right group, antifa, something like that) sent parcel bombs semi-regularly and we heard on the news a package had exploded... we would be every bit as quick to attribute it to those as we do suicide bombers to ISIS. When there’s a mass shooting in the US, I instantly think it’s likely to be a white male. Because it normally is.

We are all too aware than whites can be evil cunts too. I know this because whites are human, blacks are humans, Asians are humans, Arabs are humans. Humans have a small amount of very deluded, disturbed people who do evil shit. Some of the likely reasons are harder to ascertain than others.

None of this means people should rush to judgement over the motives of this cunt.

• Upvote 12