You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Grenfall Tower Fire

http://metro.co.uk/2016/11/10/adele-made-100-million-in-five-years-and-14-5-million-went-to-the-taxman-6247889/

Adele’s previously been pretty vocal about her qualms with the level of tax she pays, saying: ‘I use the NHS, I can’t use the public transport any more.

‘Trains are always late, most state schools are sh*t and I’ve gotta give you, like, four million quid – are you having a laugh?’

Think her comments were directed more at the fact she's paying millions of tax and still everything's shit and not improving. (I.e. The government are shit)

And I think she's mentioned it once, 6 years ago when she was 23. And she paid her taxes, unlike people like Carr and Barlow who have dodged theirs, also a honourable mention to Amber Rudd, An MP.

Again seems like wasted energy when it could be directed elsewhere like the cunts in charge, who could have had a hand in preventing this from ever happening.

Didn't think we'd be discussing Adele in this thread, but there you go.

• Upvote 1

Any engineers on here with a handle of the structural difference between this building and the twin towers. I know one was hit by a plane but this fire was hugely intense. Would have thought collapse was a likely outcome when compared to WT7.

Not an engineer but the differences between this anc the twin towers are:-

Twin towers were bare steel which became exposed to heat.

Twin towers didn't have a concrete central support.

I heard someone say today that the building isn't going to collapse because it has a central concrete spine but there may be a problem with individual concrete floor panel things or what ever they called them being a bit unstable towards the outside of the building.

They are apparently going to build a structure to support these panels not sure if it is for the search and rescue or for the demolition when the time us right.

Not an engineer but the differences between this anc the twin towers are:-

Twin towers were bare steel which became exposed to heat.

Twin towers didn't have a concrete central support.

I heard someone say today that the building isn't going to collapse because it has a central concrete spine but there may be a problem with individual concrete floor panel things or what ever they called them being a bit unstable towards the outside of the building.

They are apparently going to build a structure to support these panels not sure if it is for the search and rescue or for the demolition when the time us right.

No getting into the conspiracy but the fire in NY should not have been hot enough to melt steel.

• Downvote 1

Think her comments were directed more at the fact she's paying millions of tax and still everything's shit and not improving. (I.e. The government are shit)

And I think she's mentioned it once, 6 years ago when she was 23. And she paid her taxes, unlike people like Carr and Barlow who have dodged theirs, also a honourable mention to Amber Rudd, An MP.

Again seems like wasted energy when it could be directed elsewhere like the cunts in charge, who could have had a hand in preventing this from ever happening.

Didn't think we'd be discussing Adele in this thread, but there you go.

I have just found the full quote;

The 'Rolling in the Deep' singer said that she is "mortified" that she has had to pay so much money when she doesn't think it goes to good use.

She told Q: "I use the NHS, I can't use public transport anymore, doing what I do. I went to state school, I'm mortified to have to pay 50%.

"Trains are always late, most state schools are s**t and I've gotta give you, like, four million quid? Are you having a laugh?"

The star explained that she got a shock when she received her tax bill after her first album 19.

She added: "When I got my tax bill in from 19 I was ready to go and buy a gun and randomly open fire."

She is now a director of her own company and pays herself through the company in dividends, which I believe means she pays approx 15% tax as opposed to 45%, so in my opinion, she is also dodging hers.

Obviously Adele was brought up because she was at the tower last night, no doubt in good faith. However, good intentions or not her decisions on tax payments (perfectly legally) are a contributor to the inequality we see.

I agree the cunts in charge are the people we should be directing our anger at.

• Upvote 2

Any engineers on here with a handle of the structural difference between this building and the twin towers. I know one was hit by a plane but this fire was hugely intense. Would have thought collapse was a likely outcome when compared to WT7.

Are you fucking serious???

Suppose we should kick off if our former and recent scouse captain turns up there offering his support also. He was found actually dodging tax.

Being a limited company and paying yourself a salary through dividends (i.e. a companies Profit) is how it works, by law. It's not tax dodging or punishable for being even remotely a grey area (unless you abuse it of course). If so my partner who has her own tiny, small company, along with millions of other people in this country, is in your view a tax dodger, sorry is not right. We must be doing something wrong as we hardly have a pot to piss in currently.

Like I said wasted energy and now we're onto 9/11 conspiracy theories and people being cladding, structural and bloody financial experts over a fucked up tragedy like this where the people in charge should be having all the anger directed at them.

What's anyone on here actually doing about it? Probably bugger all, myself included (by typing into this thread) so I'm off.

• Upvote 2

There was a 'fire expert' on R4 this afternoon and he said in his 30 yr experience of investigating fires all over the world he'd never seen anything like this event and that it was impossible to speculate on what had happened.

It'll be numerous. The insulated panels 'bounced' the heat back inwards, lack of fire breaks that negated the compartmentation of the existing building, poor detailing and the actual foam insulation between the sheets of metal not being fire rated. The smoke inside either means failed smoke seals or none were there in the doors. They even had a new alarm system that didn't work. It's a catalogue of errors.

There's definitely some sort of Hillsborough feeling about it.

Not necessarily in the failure of the authorities sense, but definitely in the it was a disaster waiting to happen sense.

And, for me, strikingly in the not treating people as people sense. With Hillsborough, part of it was attributable to the treating all football fans as animals psyche that pervaded the authorities and government at the time.

In that sense, while there's a few western/English sounding names in those who are still unaccounted for (and, sadly, most likely dead), it was striking on Sky News then just how many foreign sounding names there were. Having worked in the immigration field, while it's not everybody, there's definitely a sense of dehuminisation of immigrants exhibited by the authorities. An underlying "ah, fuck them, they're only foreigners" attitude. I've seen it first hand in the housing of asylum seekers. Get them housed in the cheapest, barely habitable property. With an "they should be grateful for that, it's got to be better than where they came from" beggars can't be choosers outlook on things.

And, I think that's played a part in this tower disaster too. There definitely seems to be a large immigrant population in the block. Get them in, pack them in. Cheap and cheerful housing. And, if true, it's telling that the main focus of spending on the block wasn't to improve the conditions or safety of those who occupied the premises, but was (allegedly) instead spent on making the block nicer for people in neighbouring properties to look at.

It would appear that people have been packed into a potential death trap. Infuriating and sickening in equal measures.

• Upvote 1

There was a 'fire expert' on R4 this afternoon and he said in his 30 yr experience of investigating fires all over the world he'd never seen anything like this event and that it was impossible to speculate on what had happened.

To quote a great man;

I think the people in this country have had enough of experts

• Upvote 1

Also, claims on the internet that two S*n journalists posed as worried family of missing people at a hospital to try and get info for a story.

Disgusting, if true.

Peter Jukes (Untold podcast) says a senior Fleet St source who he trusts has told him two Sun hacks posed as family members to gain access to the hospital, which is lodging a formal complaint.

British Bullshit Corporation have shit it after seeing Lily Allen on C4 :

@lilyallen 24 minutes ago

I'm sad to say @BBCNewsnight just cancelled me for tonight's show. They have someone from the council coming on instead.

Someone from the council instead, almost as if they're mocking her at the same time (she was speaking against the council in her C4 interview.) There's no way those corrupt Tory fucks should get all of the tv licence money, should at least be spread around other channels as well.

Calls himself an expert. Pah...

This is a high rise in France 4 years ago. The description says the panelling is polystyrene used for insulation. It does demonstrate how quickly it can take hold. Luckily the firefighters get to it quickly.

[YouTube]

[/YouTube]
  • Upvote 2