You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge: A man in desperate need of his missing mojo - by Jason Harris

tlw content

Part of me wants to keep him wrapped up in cotton wool until he's sold in the summer, as we might yet get a decent price in this crazy market - I'm thinking something like 30M. 

On the other hand, if he is anywhere close to being able to get onto the pitch, especially for the closing 20 minutes, and games are in the balance, then we should do all we can to get him out there, even if it risks another injury and the terms of a possible sale in the summer. 

Either way, he has no future for us. Obviously the injury record is appalling, but such is his talent that a lot of fans persisted with him. As expectations diminished we still tried to convince ourselves (at least I did!) that he was still worth it as he could score a few crucial goals here and there. 

This season has given us clarity about Sturridge. Any lingering doubts have been laid to rest. Sell. Sell. Sell. 

Buy the best striker we can, and a rapid winger, and we will be much better off. 

Optimum time to sell price-wise was last summer when there was the slight illusion of Klopp getting him back to fitness and working out a regime which suited his body.

Fair enough, Klopp gets paid to make such decisions and presumably decided we were already changing enough players that he didn't also want to make that decision last summer/felt it was worth giving him one more go, but would be surprised if the terms are what they would have been last year.

All obviously hypothetical anyway, just time now for his fucked body to be someone else's expensive headache.

Part of me wants to keep him wrapped up in cotton wool until he's sold in the summer, as we might yet get a decent price in this crazy market - I'm thinking something like 30M.

On the other hand, if he is anywhere close to being able to get onto the pitch, especially for the closing 20 minutes, and games are in the balance, then we should do all we can to get him out there, even if it risks another injury and the terms of a possible sale in the summer.

Either way, he has no future for us. Obviously the injury record is appalling, but such is his talent that a lot of fans persisted with him. As expectations diminished we still tried to convince ourselves (at least I did!) that he was still worth it as he could score a few crucial goals here and there.

This season has given us clarity about Sturridge. Any lingering doubts have been laid to rest. Sell. Sell. Sell.

Buy the best striker we can, and a rapid winger, and we will be much better off.

I'd prefer us to only field players who give it 100% - this lad hasn't done that for a long time. By getting him on the park what is he gonna give us? Nothing that is what, he's a passenger.

Just get him fucked off ASAP and for as much as possible. Personally i never want to see him in a red shirt again. All he does now is eat up a massive part of our wage budget and gives fuck all in return.

Doesn't bother me that he went to the mancs, he was fucked and we'd knocked him back anyway. It'd be like us signing Ryan Giggs now, largely embarrassing for all concerned.

Genuinely baffles me how people loathe Owen but the Suarez thread gets bumped and filled with cooing approval everytime he so much as wipes his arse at Barcelona.

• Upvote 2

Doesn't bother me that he went to the mancs, he was fucked and we'd knocked him back anyway. It'd be like us signing Ryan Giggs now, largely embarrassing for all concerned.

Genuinely baffles me how people loathe Owen but the Suarez thread gets bumped and filled with cooing approval everytime he so much as wipes his arse at Barcelona.

I hear you. I thought that he had kind of asked to come back and we didnt do it.

I did love Suarez too. Most talented player to ever play for us imo. For me, i would have done my absolute best to keep him. Alex Ferguson hated him and did his utmost to take every opportunity to slag him off in the press...because he was (suarez) a threat. Truthfully, i didnt give two fucks about his antics. We took an unbelievable amount of money for him, but i think he was sold at an undervalue because the nicey nicey losers in control of our club only want players not touched by any controversy as it might affect a dunkin doughnuts payout.

Id have supported him like ferguson did with cantona.

Apathy?

Nah.

Boss memories.

Agreed  

Going to Utd was a mistake but we didn't want him back 

He did fuck all there and I suspect he wouldn't have bothered given his time again,

Newcastle were the ones that got the shitty end of the stick. Without doubt Liverpool had the best of Michael Owen 

Agreed  

Going to Utd was a mistake but we didn't want him back 

He did fuck all there and I suspect he wouldn't have bothered given his time again,

Newcastle were the ones that got the shitty end of the stick. Without doubt Liverpool had the best of Michael Owen 

There's a very good interview with Michael Owen in this.

2r2vz1k.jpg

Custard creams are boss. Or something.

Actually, come to think of it Tony, I'm not at all surprised you have such affinity for Michael. You're peas in a pod.

I've never understood, why some posters feel the need, to have a pop at other posters, just because they've disagree with them. For your information, personality wise, I'm nothing like Michael Owen, though I'd like to have played for Liverpool, like he did and his money would come in handy.

• Upvote 2

Hello Pot? Pot, it's Kettle, can you hear me?

Moving on; we probably will see him again, and I suspect he'll even score a couple, too. And then this thread will inevitably fill up with sage like calls for him to be signed to a never ending contract, because he's obviously absolutely fucking amazing, and anyone who doesn't want to keep him is mad etc.

AND THEN, some people will say he's still a lazy shitbag, and Hades will be along to call us all racists! Oh what fun we have, on here. What japes, what larks, what never ending hilarities!

*smashes face in to desk*

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1