You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2016

aRdja

Fuck Shane Long off. 

We've got enough shit in the corridors to cater for any more. We need quality rather than quantity and we need some horrible bastards to accompany that. 

Horrible bastard CB. 

Horrible bastard DM/CM. 

Horrible but quality bastard up front. 

Come Summer, we should be in a position where we've got a strong spine that bullies teams into defeat rather than other way around. We've them got the option to build on the squad players and move our current shite XI players into cup and league games. 

One thing though; get more players in the box and we'll score more. 

Pot shot ban until fucking May, please. 

• Upvote 1

Nah, the latter would be worse because we'd have yet another unflushable turd to get rid off in 6/12/18 months.

Better options than signing someone like Shane Long -

Fuck Benteke off and sign someone really good - Might find a buyer for Benteke in one of the sides fighting relegation, unlikely to find a really good striker to sign in January.

Fuck Benteke off and try and get someone with a better eye for goal than Shane Long in on loan. Would be difficult, and probably would have to be someone from outside of England, but not impossible.

Fuck Benteke off and give Sinclair a few games until Origi is back and/or Sturridge comes through his pre-pre-pre-season.

as shite as benteke has been, i bet there's loads of teams near the bottom would pay us 20-25m for him to secure their future with next seasons TV bonanza on the way. Newcastle and Sunderland should be smashing our door down. 

Signing Long, on the face of it, seems useful to us.

But we're not signing him on a short-term deal, IF we're signing him at all. No, it'll be a 4 year deal likely.

Our striker group consists of Sturridge, Benteke, Origi, Ings, Balotelli, Firmino.

Combined cost = £107.5m

Wages per week = £545,000

Goals this season so far (all comps) = 21

Top scorers

Benteke = 7

Sturridge = 4

Origi = 4

Ings = 3

Firmino = 3

Balotelli = 0

To be fair, some of our strikers don't have a bad goal return for the games played, notably Ings and Sturridge. One of the biggest problems for us has been Firmino taking so long to get to grips with things. Had he waded in with another 5 goals or so, then we'd be perhaps looking at an extra 5 points perhaps.

Ings = 8 games 3 goals

Origi = 16 games 4 goals

Sturridge = 6 games 4 goals

Firmino = 26 games 3 goals

Benteke = 24 games 7 goals

Should we add Long to that list?

I'm undecided. I like him as a striker, he's capable of being the difference between winning a losing a game, he's a striker, that's what they do. But should we be aquiring another long-term signing at this point of Klopp's first season, where it seems like he's an after-thought?

In terms of players moving on this summer, it's interesting to see the time left on contracts at the club:

Contracts expiring this year: Toure, Enrique.

Contracts expiring 2017: Bogdan, Lucas, Allen.

It seems like our efforts are going to revolve around solving these positions first and foremost this summer, with a new CB, a new GK, a new CM as I can't see us refreshing Lucas' contract and so we'll look to cash in this summer.

Signing Long would give us some breathing space this summer, as we'll already have our hands full with those signings to make, and also trying to move on Balotelli, and sorting out a decision on Sturridge and Benteke. It'll be vital to have a rosta of 3 strikers as a core so that we can look to add to quality to it, and those 3 strikers being Origi, Ings, Long, with Firmino.

FYI, according to shoddy internet sources, Origi is on £15k a week, Ings is on £60k a week, and I'd venture that Long would be available for something in between, so an annual cost to us of around £6,500,000 per season.

Whereas Sturridge is on £120k a week, Benteke is on £140k a week, and Balotelli is on £110k a week. It's vital we sort those three out who are costing us around £19,000,000 per season in wages.

It seems fairly common sense to me that we look to move on Sturridge, Benteke and Balotelli for around a combined fee of £40m, however that is divvied up, and so we then have a base of £40m plus £19m in wages saved to look at reducing that little group of 3 players into 2 top class additions, using that £59m pot.

It will get used us pretty quickly, say we offer Lacazette £130k a week, that's £6.76m a year.

Thankfully we have some youngsters coming through who can help shore things up financially. So Enrique will get replaced by Brad Smith for almost nothing. We will save on Enrique's wage, but will invariably have to pay Smith a little more.

There will be no fee received for Toure, so our search for a CB will be costly.

Can't see us getting much for Bogdan, so again it'll cost to replace him. Not sure Ward is the answer.

Lucas COULD attract a fee this summer, but not much.

So, roughly, CB = £10m, GK = £10m, CM = £20m. We're staring a £40m just to replace them four players, none of which are attackers. Could we consider Grujic to already be a replacement for Lucas? If so, would save us £20m, just not sure he's ready for it. Rossiter is seemingly fucked all the time, so I don't want us to rely on him being available either.

Southampton have recently signed charlie austin for £4m yet we've made a bid for southampton's shane long for £8m. This has been rejected by southampton according to reports.

But, the question must be asked, if we are desparate for a striker, why didnt we bid £4m for austin instead?

WTF are the club playing at?

Felt sure I would wake up today and see us linked to a boss wide player or striker but instead there's talk of having an 8m bid turned down for Shane Long. 

Just what the fuck is going on with the recruitment at our club? We appear determined to repeat the same mistakes every season. 

Shocking to read that we wouldn't push the boat out for Dele Alli but we're happy to spend 5m on some kid from the Serbian league who won't even be here until July. 

Everton seem to be on the verge of sealing a deal for Yarmolenko. You know, one of those wide players that are fast and score 1 in 3. Where the fuck are we in this deal? Trying to coach a 29 year old Adam Lallana how to strike a football?

Not shocking to see us linked to some kid from La Liga who's just broken through. Remember the days when we would sign strikers of 22-23 years old who were already experienced and proven like Torres and Suarez? For the same money, we now buy players with question marks hanging over them. 

It's like somebody in the recruitment team is intentionally trying to drive this club into the ground. We literally have no world class players anymore. 

• Upvote 4

Lucas has just turned 29, has a history of injury issues that have hampered him, and now is playing for Jurgen Klopp trying to implement geggenpressing. It would be a fool's errand to offer him a contract that takes him past his 30th birthday without some sort of claw-back on earnings for when he gets injured. He's not played 30 league games in a season for 5 years, funnily enough coinciding with the ACL injury he suffered in 2011...

Can't see Lucas agreeing to that, this is his last pay-day as a top level player.

Southampton have recently signed charlie austin for £4m yet we've made a bid for southampton's shane long for £8m. This has been rejected by southampton according to reports.

But, the question must be asked, if we are desparate for a striker, why didnt we bid £4m for austin instead?

WTF are the club playing at?

Because Austin is a lump of a striker.

Lucas has just turned 29, has a history of injury issues that have hampered him, and now is playing for Jurgen Klopp trying to implement geggenpressing. It would be a fool's errand to offer him a contract that takes him past his 30th birthday without some sort of claw-back on earnings for when he gets injured. He's not played 30 league games in a season for 5 years, funnily enough coinciding with the ACL injury he suffered in 2011...

Can't see Lucas agreeing to that, this is his last pay-day as a top level player.

You talk shit and I claim my 5 quid prize. Again!

Lucas doesnt have a history of injuries worse than average. In fact, Id say his injury record is better than average. players dont play all games a season for a variety of reasons, suspensions(!), team selection, rotation etc.

Lucas has had one serious injury in his time here but dont let that get in your way.

Felt sure I would wake up today and see us linked to a boss wide player or striker but instead there's talk of having an 8m bid turned down for Shane Long. 

Just what the fuck is going on with the recruitment at our club? We appear determined to repeat the same mistakes every season. 

My assumption is there are people involved in the Transfer Committee or whatever the fuck we want to call it who are woefully incompetent. But they are all probably desperate to keep themselves in the job and are somehow managing to convince FSG to persist with them. 

My assumption is there are people involved in the Transfer Committee or whatever the fuck we want to call it who are woefully incompetent. But they are all probably desperate to keep themselves in the job and are somehow managing to convince FSG to persist with them.

Well yeah seeing as the chief goon on the transfer committee is fsgs most knowledgeable soccer guy

Shocking to read that we wouldn't push the boat out for Dele Alli but we're happy to spend 5m on some kid from the Serbian league who won't even be here until July.

Everton seem to be on the verge of sealing a deal for Yarmolenko. You know, one of those wide players that are fast and score 1 in 3. Where the fuck are we in this deal? Trying to coach a 29 year old Adam Lallana how to strike a football?

Not shocking to see us linked to some kid from La Liga who's just broken through. Remember the days when we would sign strikers of 22-23 years old who were already experienced and proven like Torres and Suarez? For the same money, we now buy players with question marks hanging over them.

It's like somebody in the recruitment team is intentionally trying to drive this club into the ground. We literally have no world class players anymore.

It's almost like we're a middling PL team who haven't qualified for the CL for years! Oh wait...

We have to accept we're going to get fleeced in the transfer market at this point in time.

We're not good enough to attract the top class players, and we're too big a name to get lower-tier players at an affordable price. We will be getting lower-tier players for top-tier prices, that's just how this works at this point.

Much the same way United have parted with huge sums of money in recent windows for Schweinsteiger, Rojo, Depay, Schneiderlin, Martial while City got Sterling, Otamendi and De Bruyne, and Chelsea got Pedro, Fabregas, Costa and Arsenal got Cech and Sanchez.

We have to get lucky in the transfer market and get back in the CL. Spurs-esque luck. They have also had the situation of overpaying for shite, but they've stumbled upon Kane and managed to keep Lloris.

You talk shit and I claim my 5 quid prize. Again!

Lucas doesnt have a history of injuries worse than average. In fact, Id say his injury record is better than average. players dont play all games a season for a variety of reasons, suspensions(!), team selection, rotation etc.

Lucas has had one serious injury in his time here but dont let that get in your way.

The ACL isn't enough? Really? And his appearance record and performance levels haven't changed since 2011? Ok.

I think we'll offer him a decent wage but not extravagant for 3 years and I think he'll accept it, If you disagree that's fine but he's been a mainstay under 4 different managers now*, two of which I admittedly can't stand but it is what it is. I think he has value to the club, I just don't think it's as a starter.

*edit - 5 different managers