You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sterling swap deal mooted?

tlw content

there's no way that those 3 would cost less than 60 - 70 million. Sterling will fetch about 40, then we'd need to give a chunk of it to QPR, and pay capital gains tax on the remainder.

not that I'm disagreeing with the sentiment. those players would sort a lot of our issues.

Howedes is meant to be for sale for 10-12 million.  Illaramendi has a price tag of 10 million if you believe the papers.  That leaves 30 million for Icardi, which might not be enough, but would certainly start the conversation.  

If we have 30 million for Benteke then we have it for Icardi, and he'd be perfect for us.  Absolutely in the mould of Suarez/Tevez/Aguero and would suit the Premier League to the ground.  And I really think that 50-55 million would get those three players, though the wages might be a problem.

Anyway it's all moot because we're going to buy Ings and Benteke instead and probably leave the centre of our defense alone entirely because "Lovren has great character and will turn it around."

Walcott would have been a great signing before his ACL but it's always risky buying players coming back from that. Look at Falcao this season. And Walcott lets face it is all about pace.

Gibbs is just another pacy left back like Moreno/Enrique/Riise who has no football brain and can't defend. Basically the Ryan Bertrand he wanted last year.

Arsenal will go out and get a very good forward this summer (and Sterling if they get him) and will let Walcott go for a reason if they do, as ultimately Chelsea did with Sturridge. Walcott and Sturridge the best part of 300 grand a week and they'd spend more time injured. Added to the Milner wage and you're paying a fortune for those three that could surely go to genuine top players you can regularly get on the pitch.

I don't know how I feel about this, My instinct would be just take the money and re-invest but you just know it would be spunked on more garbage, Walcott is a decent player and would improve our side if fit , The other fella is a makeweight and we shouldn't bother with him so only because we cant be trusted with money we should try and get Walcott 

With Rafa installed at Real Madrid and name checking Sterling, is there any chance of a Sterling/Benzema swap? In terms of value, similar-ish (cheekily we could try for Illamerendi too) but arguably Benzema would not play ball, as he would have other suitors in the CL.