You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sterling swap deal mooted?

tlw content

I genuinely cannot believe there are people on here advocating for this deal.

I wouldn't do it if Arsenal added £20m on top of those two.  Think of it this way: if you had £45-50m to spend (and if we get much less than that, we're being absolutely robbed given the money being spent on dross around Europe) would you even consider buying Gibbs and Walcott with the money?

If you would then you're absolutely mental.

For the amount we'd get for Sterling we could have Howedes, Illaramendi and Icardi.  Fix a big hole in our defense, massively upgrade our midfield and replace Sterling with a better young attacking player.

Or we could have another Englishman made of glass and a fullback who can't defend.  Your choice.

• Upvote 4

I wouldn't do it if Arsenal added £20m on top of those two.  Think of it this way: if you had £45-50m to spend (and if we get much less than that, we're being absolutely robbed given the money being spent on dross around Europe) would you even consider buying Gibbs and Walcott with the money?

For the amount we'd get for Sterling we could have Howedes, Illaramendi and Icardi.  Fix a big hole in our defense, massively upgrade our midfield and replace Sterling with a better young attacking player.

Or we could have another Englishman made of glass and a fullback who can't defend.  Your choice.

But...but.. but....proven Premier League players! Don't you know that's the way to go?

I wouldn't do it if Arsenal added £20m on top of those two. Think of it this way: if you had £45-50m to spend (and if we get much less than that, we're being absolutely robbed given the money being spent on dross around Europe) would you even consider buying Gibbs and Walcott with the money?

For the amount we'd get for Sterling we could have Howedes, Illaramendi and Icardi. Fix a big hole in our defense, massively upgrade our midfield and replace Sterling with a better young attacking player.

Or we could have another Englishman made of glass and a fullback who can't defend. Your choice.

there's no way that those 3 would cost less than 60 - 70 million. Sterling will fetch about 40, then we'd need to give a chunk of it to QPR, and pay capital gains tax on the remainder.

not that I'm disagreeing with the sentiment. those players would sort a lot of our issues.

Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain. Wouldn't that mean we wouldn't have to give QPR 20% also?

I'd ask for a similar sell on percentage on top of them 2 because we're getting no money for "Europes best youngster"

Walcott to take Sterlings place as wide man/striker and I'd play Oxlade-Chamberlain in one of the midfield 3, he looks excellent in here driving forward. Not that I think Arsenal would even entertain doing that deal mind.

Even with Gibbs and Walcott, one of the big selling points for the premiership clubs looking at him is that not only has he got massive potential, he's homegrown. In the deal being "mooted" they lose 2 homegrown players and get 1 in return, meaning they'd then have to go out and spend more money on someone they wouldn't necessarily need.

I wouldn't worry too much about Sterling at the moment, I think we could still keep him until January and then get teams willing to pay big, big money to bring him in as he'd be eligible to play in the CL still.

The Summer is a big gap, there's 3 months of this shit left and I think the club can do without the distraction. Tell him he's staying until January, at which point we only get dicked around for 1 month, and teams will be desperate for him.

I just don't want us to be fannying around with clubs taking little nibbles at Sterling until the last week in August, it's too time-consuming.

I want to sell to City eventually, but with a sell-on clause because he will eventually go to London. QPR wet their beak with us, and we should make damn sure we do the same to City.