You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Apple

Section_31

I have a Fujitsu laptop that cost about £300 two years ago, and a Samsung something rather phone (whatever their absolute cheapest smart phone is from about a year ago) which cost £50. I only use the former for the net, occasionally FM, and Writer (blag Microsoft Word). The phone for calls, texts, and the web. Presumably I'd need some better kit regarding the laptop if I wanted to play games with graphics beyond the late 90s, but I'm still completely in the dark about other stuff phones do. 

Are Apple more expensive when it comes to phones? I assumed you could get an Apple phone for about £500, but the same was true for Samsung, etc.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think they're a bit more expensive to but the unit but quite a bit more on contract. With android having so many handsets compatible, it varies.

Are Apple more expensive when it comes to phones? I assumed you could get an Apple phone for about £500, but the same was true for Samsung, etc.

I've been with the same network provider for years so they offer me good deals on phones. I've got an iphone 5something and got it for £50, although I am tied into a 2yr contract paying £20 a month. iphone works for me for my work. But I imagine they all do now. Years ago it was the only one, though.

I should embrace change, really.

I've been with the same network provider for years so they offer me good deals on phones. I've got an iphone 5something and got it for £50, although I am tied into a 2yr contract paying £20 a month. iphone works for me for my work. But I imagine they all do now. Years ago it was the only one, though.

I should embrace change, really.

Yeah, I guess most people are on contracts and therefore the actual pricing is a bit murkier. Or at least murky enough for quite a lot of people not to really look into it.

I'm assuming if you dropped the phone into a well they'd provide you with another one?

Yeah, I guess most people are on contracts and therefore the actual pricing is a bit murkier. Or at least murky enough for quite a lot of people not to really look into it.

I'm assuming if you dropped the phone into a well they'd provide you with another one?

Nup, they don't. I think it's an option you can have by paying some sort of insurance. But not an option I ever take up.

There is nothing "exclusive" or "trendy" aboutr Apple products, they're as ubiquitous as Mick Jagger's buck-toothed daughter. 

I was just thinking that after posting; I suppose it's a throwback to when Macs etc were as rare as rocking horse shit and were talked of in hushed tones in school playgrounds.

Still, their modern ubiquity hasn't stopped Apple from charging extortionate prices for their gizmos based on their perceived 'exclusivity'.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I see. What stuff does a £500 smart phone do that a £50 smart (presumably actually quite dim) phone can't? Or is it more a case of doing stuff quicker, and with better picture quality, etc?

I don't think you can get a 50 smart phone. But I think it's like anything else, design, branding, technology, desire all at a part. I've got a Nexus 5. It was quite a bit cheaper than the iPhone but the build quality and materials aren't even close. I think I'll be going for an iphone next time out cnow they've got the bigger screen.

I've got a old MacBook Pro that was leftover from work. I think it's great - it's got a free BSD layer that allows me to use the command line, it looks pretty enough and most importantly it's got the world's best trackpad. The machined metal case is solid and it's travelled with me to four different continents and a couple of major road trips in the last four years. I use iPhoto, GarageBand, and Time Machine. I'd readily buy a macbook (probably an Air) if I was going to buy another laptop.

I was waiting until the new Mac Mini came out to buy a new desktop. When the mini was a disappointment, I looked at the tradeoff between an iMac and a Windows PC - I could get a fantastic triple-screened Windows setup for ~£1k, which would get me the most basic iMac. I went with the Windows PC, and while I prefer OS X, Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu are, between them, more than good enough to do what I want.

However, Apple use the same suppliers as everyone else. There's no way that I believe that Apple are any worse (and I believe that they are slightly better!) than Lenovo, Asus, Acer, HP, etc. They're just an easy target, as a large number like to sneer at them.

Did anyone see Panorama?

Kind of exemplified why the world is in the toilet. American cities like Gary and St Louis are on their arse while America's corporate poster boy is giving it the Pharoah swagger in the Far East and retaining more money in its coffers than the US Treasury.

Asus are a long standing and well-respected company; I've been building PCs for about 20 years and the motherboard in my current one is an Asus, as is the graphics card. They make good kit.

I can't begin to grasp what you are doing with a PC where you need to do anything to your BIOS settings other than when initially setting it up and often you don't even need to do much of anything at that point any more.  Ten years ago maybe but the need for the average user to have that level of technical competence is pretty much gone these days in my opinion.

I may have been using hyperbole as a device there, but it is a fact that the PCs I use need massively more tinkering just to keep the fuckers running and up to date than the macs.  Life's too short.  Especially mine.  

I've got an iMac for photo editing because it does the job well. I switched to an iPhone 5s simply because it was smaller than the way phones are headed now and I got fed up of lumping a big phone around.

I use a Surface Pro 3 for work because it's the best tool for the job.

As long as you treat these things as tools for jobs, and not get attached to them like members of family, they're fine.

Pre-cisely.

IMO the MacBook is the best laptop ever made. It's the only hardware (other than an iPad or iPhone) that I'd buy from Apple.

and the 5K iMac you forgetful twonk.  

Actually my next mac will be a desktop pro.  I've been bitten with a fuckoff big all-in-one before and I didn't like it.  

the best thing you can do to hammer your existing phone company down is order a phone from another network.  Then tell your existing company about it.  They'll cry like babies, and offer you a deal you would be silly to refuse, much better than you'd get from carphone warehouse or even the network's standard tariffs.  Then cancel the contract with the second company under the 14 day rule, and you're laughing.