You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Started watching season one of The White Lotus with the wife. It’s had plenty of hype so we eventually got suckered in.

Three episodes in and I’m still not sure what it’s actually about. Some nice writing and shot in a beautiful location though, so probably worth sticking with. 

It also has Sydney Sweeney and Alexandra Daddario (oh my) in it, so definitely worth sticking with.

7/10 

56 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Started watching season one of The White Lotus with the wife. It’s had plenty of hype so we eventually got suckered in.

Three episodes in and I’m still not sure what it’s actually about. Some nice writing and shot in a beautiful location though, so probably worth sticking with. 

It also has Sydney Sweeney and Alexandra Daddario (oh my) in it, so definitely worth sticking with.

7/10 

Sweet baby jesus and the orphans. She's perfection

alexandra-daddario-when-we-first-met-900

emmys-2022-getting-ready-Alexandra-Dadda

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

7/10 

Haha!  Exactly.

We watched the whole of series one and are on two.  I said to my wife, who loves it, "Yes, it's good, and I like it.  But can you answer the question, 'What is it about?'"

"It's about human beings" is the best we could come up with.

• Upvote 1

On 09/11/2022 at 11:43, YorkshireRed said:

7/10 

I don't think it's about anything. Just light viewing, looks great, amusing at times (especially the hotel manager). I've recently started season 2. Mostly a new cast and set in Sicily, but pretty much the same. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think it's about anything. Just light viewing, looks great, amusing at times (especially the hotel manager). I've recently started season 2. Mostly a new cast and set in Sicily, but pretty much the same. 

Is Stiflers mum in it? I'm sure I saw her on the trailer 

White Lotus ultimately (and disconcertingly) treats the native population as window dressing. Critic Lorraine Ali at the Los Angeles Times wrote in her review of the show that it’s “so focused on the selfish usurpers and every absurd detail of their horribleness that it too ignores ‘the help’ until they’re needed to juice up the plot.” The drama is driven by the exploitation and suppression of people of color, and yet we never spend much (if any) time immersed in their point of view.

But maybe White Lotus is attempting to implicate the viewer — who’s turned on yet another show about rich white assholes vying for power — in these characters’ subjugation. As my former colleague Alison Willmore wrote in 2019 about another beloved horror-comedy devoted to the lives of bad billionaires: “The world they live in is meant to be ours, and they rule over it not because they're evil geniuses but because we let them.”

That’s why White Lotus gets so uncomfortable, sometimes even painful to watch, especially due to Cristobal Tapia de Veer’s extraordinary, anxiety-inducing score. White characters wax lyrical about social justice with cocktails in hand, forever preoccupied with their own tiresome self-mythologizing; brown workers are paid pennies to attend to their every need while actively rejecting and suppressing their own. “Welcome to history,” Mark tells his daughter, whose complaints about imperialism aren’t loud enough for her to pull a Quinn or to align herself more firmly with Paula than with her family, her tribe. “Welcome to America.” 

The first episode of The English on iPlayer is excellent- 8.5/ 10. All the episodes are now available, hope they're up to the same standard. Only one complaint- it looks absolutely superb but yet again, the dialogue in a BBC series is really hard to discern at times. It's bizarre as it doesn't have a loud soundtrack or anything.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

The first episode of The English on iPlayer is excellent- 8.5/ 10. All the episodes are now available, hope they're up to the same standard. Only one complaint- it looks absolutely superb but yet again, the dialogue in a BBC series is really hard to discern at times. It's bizarre as it doesn't have a loud soundtrack or anything.

That's had some excellent reviews 

That the Emily Blunt Western thing? Is it showing/stream in the US, sometimes they do joint ventures. That might give better audio via download. 

EDIT: Looks like Amazon Prime. Might be worth checking out to see if the same audio track is used. It isn't always. 

Edit 2: Looks like the entire season is available in 4k. Don't mind if I do.

I agree. Watched that the other day, started off good.

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

That the Emily Blunt Western thing? Is it showing/stream in the US, sometimes they do joint ventures. That might give better audio via download. 

EDIT: Looks like Amazon Prime. Might be worth checking out to see if the same audio track is used. It isn't always. 

Edit 2: Looks like the entire season is available in 4k. Don't mind if I do.

For some reason, I initially read that as you being in the US. I had a whole funny post formulated about calling you 'Posh Boy' and saying you were only over there to forge links between Starmer and Trump. I'm starting to wonder if wine gets trippy after the first bottle but before it creases you.

Anyway, second episode was much better on the dialogue front, kept up the visual quality (it's stunning at times) and progressed the story nicely. Great stuff.

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2022 at 22:55, Torvald Utne said:

Just finished the final episode of Atlanta, this whole last season has been genius.  9/10

The one based in Europe? Thought it was hit and miss myself,if the same one. Darius is a superb character but they changed him a bit and he wasnt quite as good as normal. The 'pissing' episode was funny.