You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who would you like to win the Champions League?

Kevin D

??  

117 members have voted

1. 1. ??

• Anybody but Manchester United
    • Anybody but the English teams
    • Celtic
    • Bayern Munich
    • Barcelona
    • Borussia Dortmund
    • Real Madrid
    • Napoli
    • Atletico Madrid
    • Other (please state)

Forza Napoli

Napoli key to group of death

August 28, 2013

Recommend57

Tweet3

Email

Print

By Dale Johnson

The seeding pots for Thursday's Champions League draw can be confirmed after the final qualifiers were completed.

Lyon's exit to Real Sociedad handed a boost to Juventus, who were set to be in pot three but have moved up into pot two as a result of the Ligue 1 club's failure.

Lyon were the only one of the five seeded teams in the non-champions route to fail to make the group stage. By beating Dinamo Zagreb, Austria Vienna were the only non-seeds to qualify from the champions route.

Manchester City drop into pot three due to their poor display last season, while last season's runners-up Borussia Dortmund climb into pot three after being among the bottom seeds in 2012-13.

With big-spending Napoli in pot four another group of death seems likely, and City will be eager to avoid that for a third successive season. The nightmare scenario would see City drawn against Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid or Paris Saint-Germain, and Napoli. The holders will also want to avoid such a tough draw.

But Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal are also in danger of getting that group of death, should one of those teams be drawn to play Atletico or PSG, Borussia Dortmund and Napoli.

The worst case for Barcelona and Real Madrid would see one of the Spanish giants face PSG, Man City or Borussia Dortmund, and Napoli.

You can follow the draw for the group stage live on ESPN FC, starting from 16.30 BST on Thursday.

Seeding is calculated on performance in all European competitions over a five-year period.

Pot One: Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Manchester United, Arsenal, FC Porto, Benfica.

Pot Two: Atletico Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, AC Milan, Schalke, Marseille, CSKA Moscow, PSG, Juventus

Pot Three: Zenit, Man City, Ajax, Borussia Dortmund, Basel, Olympiakos, Galatasaray, Leverkusen

Pot Four: FC Copenhagen, Napoli, Anderlecht, Celtic, Steaua Bucuresti, Viktoria Plzen, Real Sociedad, Austria Vienna

Looking over that seeding system it seems odd to me.

Let's take Napoli, who most of us would like to see do well in this competition. They could have a group consisting of themselves with Benfica, CSKA, and Olympiakos OR Barca, Juve and Dortmund. Quite a range of possible outcomes, there.

I hope Moysey wins it.

I honestly don't care who wins it, I dont even hate United this year, I hate MAdrid and Barca and Chelsea and City more than anything, closely followed by Bayern and their faux organic approach.

Actually, I hope Arsenal win it and Wenger does that creepy smile.