You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

why is he ?  ok it aint worked out but then i think we have to look  at the fact rodgers was never going to use him anyway  id be pissed if i had been treated in that manner aswell 

And if we do change manager, how do you think the new man will view his behaviour? Not well, I'd wager. 

I like Rodgers. I like Rodgers as a person and I think he will become a world class manager. I think this job came five years too early for him though, and on the back of a shite season he will be shown the door. Of the candidates who are available and we have a chance of getting , I would have to opt for Rafa, he knows the club inside out, and he can attract a higher calibre of players. Klopp is still something of an unknown quantity and a bit more of a gamble.

• Upvote 1

I like Rodgers. I like Rodgers as a person and I think he will become a world class manager. I think this job came five years too early for him though, and on the back of a shite season he will be shown the door. Of the candidates who are available and we have a chance of getting , I would have to opt for Rafa, he knows the club inside out, and he can attract a higher calibre of players. Klopp is still something of an unknown quantity and a bit more of a gamble.

What will Rodgers learn in another 2 years that will make him world class?

The only facet of his game which he is good at is bullshitting the media and even then he had to lay it on too thick.

I can't think of anything where I'd say oh well at least does that well. Genuinely curious..

What will Rodgers learn in another 2 years that will make him world class?

The only facet of his game which he is good at is bullshitting the media and even then he had to lay it on too thick.

I can't think of anything where I'd say oh well at least does that well. Genuinely curious..

He will gain experience. Simple as that. 

I'd give him that then. But taking away from that attribute is that he hasn't provided evidence he could setup a balanced team in three years. Ultimately that is what is needed to win trophies and last year we failed for that reason.

Unfortunately for him I don't think he's going to get near the world's best for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure the goals last year would be reproduced by the likes of Borini or Ings.

I'd give him that then. But taking away from that attribute is that he hasn't provided evidence he could setup a balanced team in three years.

No doubt we are in worse shape at the end of his third season, than we were at the end of his first.

We had a couple of really good results towards the end of that first season, without Suarez, including a 6-0 at Newcastle. That momentum and confidence stood us in good stead at the beginning of last year.

The "momentum" we will carry into our EL qualifier on July 30 is looking pretty dire at the moment.  

And I'd suggest whatever Mickey Mouse fixture that is, won't help matters.  

Beating Locomotive Kabul, or whomever, will hardly get the heart racing.

I'd give him that then. But taking away from that attribute is that he hasn't provided evidence he could setup a balanced team in three years. Ultimately that is what is needed to win trophies and last year we failed for that reason.

Unfortunately for him I don't think he's going to get near the world's best for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure the goals last year would be reproduced by the likes of Borini or Ings.

But if Sturridge had been fit we would have been at least 15 goals better off this season. Thats a massive difference.

He will gain experience. Simple as that.

You see I don't think that will be enough. I think he has a streak of arrogance that fundamentally inhibits his ability to learn. All managers need to be confident with a touch of arrogance to give off a persona. However, Rodgers has made mistake after mistake because he seeks to prove and show off just how clever he is rather than making the best decision for the team or club.

But if Sturridge had been fit we would have been at least 15 goals better off this season. Thats a massive difference.

The way he has used his other strikers suggests to me that wouldn't necessarily have been the case.

You see I don't think that will be enough. I think he has a streak of arrogance that fundamentally inhibits his ability to learn. All managers need to be confident with a touch of arrogance to give off a persona. However, Rodgers has made mistake after mistake because he seeks to prove and show off just how clever he is rather than making the best decision for the team or club.

I think Rodgers is a superb manager when things are going well. His achilles heel is he makes some baffling decisions when things arent going so well . There are things about Rodgers that I dont understand, such as his loyalty to Geln Johnson when he is obviously dogshit, I can only assume Johnson has some dodgy pics of Rodgers.

My point is, I think Rodgers will become a great manager, but he has to go ASAP, simple as that.

I think Rodgers is a superb manager when things are going well. His achilles heel is he makes some baffling decisions when things arent going so well . There are things about Rodgers that I dont understand, such as his loyalty to Geln Johnson when he is obviously dogshit, I can only assume Johnson has some dodgy pics of Rodgers.

My point is, I think Rodgers will become a great manager, but he has to go ASAP, simple as that.

Yes I just can't see any evidence for why you'd think that but each to their own.

62 points is less than Rafa's last season here with a much worse goal difference over 38 games.

62 points is less than United under Moyes last season.

Southampton finished 2 points behind us with +17 goal difference more than us, despite losing most of their team last year, half of which to us for £50m.

Two sequences of 8 points from 9 games. Season rounded off with our worst defeat in over 50 years.

Anyone who can call this league season par (without even going into the embarrassment of a European campaign) needs to fuck off to Goodison Park. It's completely unacceptable.

• Upvote 3

Its been an odd season all round and there are lots of questions to be answered, its not all down to Rodgers.

Why buy Lambert if you have no intention of playing him ?

Why bring in a striker *Ballotelli* with no work rate whatsoever to replace a striker who had an unbelievable work rate ? We should have gone all out for Costa, the closest thing to Suarez who was available. 

The club fucked up massively when they opted for Balotelli over Remy. They can say what they want, there was fuck all wrong with Remy, they heard Balotelli was available and dropped interest in Remy.

Why persist with Joe Allen ? He is too lightweight to play DM in the premier league, gets brushed off the ball far too easily.

Im afraid Lucas has never got anywhere his form of a couple of seasons ago since he returned from injury either.

Yes, he seems a good enough guy, but I don't see anything resembling a world class manager in him.

If you ask any Swansea fans, he already had a sound structure when he took over. All you have to do is see what Laudrup done after he left Swansea, winning their first major trophy minus Joe Allen.

Pretty much the same with us. Aside from Coutihno and Strurridge, dreadful purchases not even fit for a mid table team let alone for a top 4 aspiring club.

Look at his ability to organise a defence in 3 years. No defensive midfielder and reluctant to play Lucas when available, when it's clear results showed that if fit he should be in the team.

Lets look at this season specifically.

He buys Can and Markovic, 2 players with potential and plays both out of position.

He drops Mignolet in favour of Brad fucking Jones.

We have no Sturridge for most of the season, but Balotelli, Lambert and Borini never got a look in. To go into a new season with the other 3 strikers with an injury prone Sturridge was just insanity of the highest order. Any idiot could have seen that was never going to work.

These are not small errors of judgement, they are the biggest fuck ups imaginable.

He's basically bullshitted his way into our club on the back of a decent season for Swansea and done the same on the footballing side and finally the players have sussed him out big time. Last season was all about Luis papering over the cracks and we would have won the league if Rodgers knew how to set up a team defensively.

• Upvote 3

The relegation talk isn't far fetched in the slightest. Paper thin squad packed with a shithouses, no strikers, no leader on the pitch and a complete inability to defend. It's impossible to overstate just how much of a mess we're in on the pitch.

If nothing changes then it can get a lot worse next season.

Rodgers, Pascoe, Marsh, Achterberg clearly inspire nobody in that dressing room.

Gerrard has gone, Lucas and Johnson will go so that's most of the experience out the door and nobody who can put a tackle in, or protect the defence, left at the club so the midfield is toast.

Nobody who can score goals. Our top scorer has left. Danny Ings isn't going to bang 20 goals in and Origi can't score in France. Even with Benteke, Villa were relegation fodder under Lambert.

Under Rodgers we're guaranteed to concede over a goal a game and probably around 50 league goals.

If you can't defend or score goals you're not going to win games. We had a very good run mid-season, which was a quick fix to the defence, without which we'd have been right down at the bottom for the first 15 and last 10 games.

The players have no faith in the manager and the club is in freefall, run by complete dickheads from top to bottom.

If nothing changes we could go down. Of course if it got to November and we were near the bottom then they would be forced to act. They should be forced to act now to try and save this club from even further decline.

• Upvote 2

Personally, I think if you are looking for potential world class managers who are just starting out their careers, you start by looking at those who set up teams that are hard to beat and who have an eye for talent (even if they might lose that talent to bigger teams), and then go from there. The first indicates organizational skills and the ability to generate a unified team, the latter indicates the ability to identify weaknesses and fill them with the right players. 

By that metric, I don't see either of those things with Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I think if you are looking for potential world class managers who are just starting out their careers, you start by looking at those who set up teams that are hard to beat and who have an eye for talent (even if they might lose that talent to bigger teams), and then go from there. The first indicates organizational skills and the ability to generate a unified team, the latter indicates the ability to identify weaknesses and fill them with the right players. 

By that metric, I don't see either of those things with Rodgers.

FSG basically wanted a young manager with potential to coach the team. A general manager/DOF would sort the rest regarding transfers and structure etc and be there for help and guidance. Rodgers wouldn't have it, so we've ended up with Rodgers given too much of a remit as manager and he's not been up to it.

FSG basically wanted a young manager with potential to coach the team. A general manager/DOF would sort the rest regarding transfers and structure etc and be there for help and guidance. Rodgers wouldn't have it, so we've ended up with Rodgers given too much of a remit as manager and he's not been up to it.

FSG got besotted with the whole Barca structure at the time and sold into the whole tikka takka style of play, by whoever was advising them at the time.

Rodgers sold FSG the same idea and probably said he could replicate the Barca set up here. Not appointing a DOF was a big fuck up though, one stipulation that FSG should have insisted on before giving him the job.

FSG got besotted with the whole Barca structure at the time and sold into the whole tikka takka style of play, by whoever was advising them at the time.

Rodgers sold FSG the same idea and probably said he could replicate the Barca set up here. Not appointing a DOF was a big fuck up though, one stipulation that FSG should have insisted on before giving him the job.

I kind of agree; however, if I had to rank the options:

1. Rodgers + DOF

2. Rodgers + full control of transfers

3. Rodgers + this fucking transfer committee

Basically, the first option would have been safer and more likely to produce long-term success. With the second, we would know for certain what the deal with Rodgers was and would be able to make pretty simple decisions.

But with this fucking piece of shit monstrosity of a third option, we are left with a formless mass of bad decisions that seemingly arise out of nowhere and are attributable to no-one. Everyone can basically just blame everyone else, and so what you end up with is a piss-poor squad with no heart and desire and a club lacking basic direction on the field (but no worries about those corporate partnerships, mate!). In a sense, the transfer committee has been a magical shield of armor for Rodgers, as it has protected him from receiving even more criticism than he already does. 

So we can speculate: 

(a) the transfer committee has prevented Rodgers from buying better players than we have now

b. Rodgers has got through a significant number of his choices against the committees wishes

c. they are both as bad as each other

If (a) was true, then the manager who resisted a DOF would surely do the same to a transfer committee that controlled everything. He would have walked by now, no?

If b. was true, then the owners would surely be like "What the fuck is this shit?" and Rodgers would have been sacked by now.

So by the powers of deduction....