You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Spot on, as per usual.

Klopp, do you see us going after Klopp or any other manager soon?

It's all window dressing. If Rodgers goes we'll still be faced with the constraints FSG have put on the club.

Is Klopp a miracle worker? Will he manage a club he knows is vulnerable?

What constraints? Spending 25 million on your primary target and then not knowing where to play him?

If you can't 'work miracles' with a 20 million centre back then you're in the wrong job.

Let's not pretend Rodgers is Walter Smith here signing players like Peter Beagrie, Rodgers had had plenty of dollar, he's just spent it on players he seemingly knew nothing about.

• Upvote 5

It's all window dressing. If Rodgers goes we'll still be faced with the constraints FSG have put on the club.

Is Klopp a miracle worker? Will he manage a club he knows is vulnerable?

Do we need a miracle worker, though?

I think we need a manager experienced in winning, nurturing talent and building a team. I think this our last big chance. In a few years time, under FSG-Ayre-Rodgers we might indeed be looking for a miracle worker...

It kind of amazes me that spending what the club earns and having a wage structure within those means is talked about as horrible constraints.

It now seems like unless the owners are the sugar daddy types, then they're going to be lambasted.   

Dalglish did not inherit a team that was playing "lovely football", he inherited a team that was collapsing under Hodgson, playing utter shite and which had previously finished 7th under Rafa. 

When Kenny took over, he signed Saurez and Carroll and developed quickly a team that played some of the nicest football we've watched the past 20 years, in the second half of 2010-2011 season, with Suarez, Maxi, Meirelis etc...

The next season was indeed problematic as FSG wanted to reduce the wage bill and forced the manager to sell Maxi and Meirelis as high earners with low re-sale value. Yet we still reached two finals and won our first trophy. 

Yeah.

Interestingly, first time around as manager, Dalglish inherited a side and won the double.

He then "disappointed" in his second season.

And then in his third, did reasonably well in the transfer market with Barnes, Aldridge and Beardsley.

Second time around as manager... 8th was a bad second season, very bad, but I'd have liked to see him get another one to try and turn things around. 

We'll never know.

Rodgers will now be getting a fourth.

Good luck to him.

Do we need a miracle worker, though?

I think we need a manager experienced in winning, nurturing talent and building a team. I think this our last big chance. In a few years time, under FSG-Ayre-Rodgers we might indeed be looking for a miracle worker...

I'd say having to negotiate with a committee, a limited wage structure and a confused transfer strategy leaves you trying to pull rabbits from hats. It's a difficult situation for an experienced manager to take on nevermind one of Rodger's calibre. I've never expected the ideals a sugar daddy owner would bring, just signs of a coherent plan would do.

Suarez papered over a large amount of our deficiencies, what we saw last season was a perfect storm galvanised by his desire and ability. Yet, for 8 months we knew he was leaving, it was agreed by the club but by August we were still looking for a striker which resulted in the signing of Balotelli, a player clearly not suited to our style of play. Factor in the injury to Sturridge and all our vulnerabilities were quickly exposed.

There needs to be fundamental changes off the pitch to establish some clarity and real direction otherwise any good work is built on quicksand.

• Upvote 3

What an absolute crap opinion to have. You have no idea how his marriage broke up. They don't work out. It happens. I think it says more about you if you're losing respect for someone over something that you don't know the facts about.

However his marriage ended it didnt need to end in a court case.

It all appears a bit shallow to me.

Finishing second last season was better than finishing eight, getting 18 points from our last 19 games and winning the league cup. You're deluded if you think otherwise.

It would have been if the CL qualification hadnt been an embarrassment but I will always take a trophy and two finals above nothing.

I'm a bit materialistic in that sense.

• Upvote 2

Are FSG capable of successfully reviewing and changing the workings of an Association Football club?

No but they could put it in the hands of someone who is. Spend big dollar on a top CEO, reap the rewards.

When its pulling in this much cash, why should they care?

Yes, I suspect so too.

There's good coin in this historically-successful-football-club lark.

And probably a good few years, and millions of wools like me around the world, before it runs dry.

No but they could put it in the hands of someone who is. Spend big dollar on a top CEO, reap the rewards.

They announced a global search in January 2011 for a World Class CEO. They actually announced it. The months went by and they eventually promoted Ian Ayre to the position.

RIP Liverpool F.C.

• Upvote 6

They announced a global search in January 2011 for a World Class CEO. They actually announced it. The months went by and they eventually promoted Ian Ayre to the position.

RIP Liverpool F.C.

FSG's useful idiot.

The club seems littered with freeloaders.

• Upvote 2

What constraints? Spending 25 million on your primary target and then not knowing where to play him?

If you can't 'work miracles' with a 20 million centre back then you're in the wrong job.

Let's not pretend Rodgers is Walter Smith here signing players like Peter Beagrie, Rodgers had had plenty of dollar, he's just spent it on players he seemingly knew nothing about.

I read that in the voice of Han Solo at Mos Eisley.  

So is this an argument about who had the "more successful bad season" or is it about who is the better overall manager based on their career achievements, because I don't think there could be much debate about that.

To think it was an argument over who had the better career you would presumably have to not be able to either read or think.

Which one is it Scott?

• Upvote 1

It kind of amazes me that spending what the club earns and having a wage structure within those means is talked about as horrible constraints.

It now seems like unless the owners are the sugar daddy types, then they're going to be lambasted.

In the main I don't think FSG's critics are lambasting them, they are pointing out their limitations (constraints) and suggesting that if they don't feel in a position to loosen the purse strings, aiming for some of the best personnel in every category, then perhaps they could consider handing over the reigns to owners that will aim to make Liverpool the best again.

It appears that FSG are unable and unwilling to have that kind of vision for our club, instead looking in the bargain bins hoping to pull out some gems.

To think it was an argument over who had the better career you would presumably have to not be able to either read or think.

Which one is it Scott?

That's why I said there shouldn't be any debate. So it boils down to an argument about who had the "best bad season". Seems like a pointless discussion. 

And if it's the reverse (or at the very least Rogers is performing better) I'm sure you'll be the first on here to say you were wrong?

Yeah, why don't you start a Redemption Forum for everyone on here in case Rodgers becomes the Anointed One.

If you can't 'work miracles' with a 20 million centre back then you're in the wrong job..

He can't think strategically. How can you have a number one target who doesn't fit in the side because he's not fit to lace Coutinho's boots but plays the same position? I doubt he knows what to do with Milner either.

How can you make a big song and dance about getting a 20 million left sided centre half who is much worse than the two you already have?

He's terrible at recognising talent and will frequently just dump most signings at the drop of a hat shortly after arrival which is no way to run a club. Players are highly disposable at Liverpool. He writes most signings off within months but few are try before you buy like moses and sahin or Manquillo. It's the club's money pissed up the wall. The committee have been at fault too for sure but rodgers can't hide behind them.

• Upvote 4

I totally agree. But whatever Ayre is selling (which I personally beleive is creeping servitude), they appear to be buying.