You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

I've seen enough of Mignolet and Reina to know Reina is better.

I'm watching Liverpool Sunderland Lfc tv and Reina looks far better. Pulled off a few class saves while Mignolet let Suarez goal through his legs.

You havent seen enough of Liverpool over the last 20 years to know whats good for us though?

If Mignolet starts the season for us he will be jumped on for his first mistake and the Pepe fanclub ( who never see any fault in him ) will slaughter the lad and anyone who backed him.

Remember any of you who actually accept Reina has been diabolical for 30 of the last 36 months that any Reina mistakes are due to '' us being shite for 3 years '' or '' unsettled defence ''

If however we keep a clean sheet this is entirely down to Reina and he did win Golden Gloves a few times, nothing to do with the defence obviously.

A decent save every 10 games should be greeted with orgasmic joy by all his fans with their little man crushes.

You know who you are...

spot on

its fucking amazing how long you can be shite for providing you've built up a good reputation beforehand, no wonder we get accused of living in the past

You havent seen enough of Liverpool over the last 20 years to know whats good for us though?

You must have been watching Everton as I think we have been fairly competitive for most of that period. We can always do better but stop making out we have been rubbish.

You must have been watching Everton as I think we have been fairly competitive for most of that period. We can always do better but stop making out we have been rubbish.

I answered this a while back, i don't think we have been rubbish but we have made the same "fail sauce" mistakes in the transfer market for years.

We go for established experienced players, give them huge wages and pay crazy fee's for them. Then they let us down and we can't shift them.

Sadly people like paul can't see this and still want the club to carry on with it.

spot on

its fucking amazing how long you can be shite for providing you've built up a good reputation beforehand, no wonder we get accused of living in the past

Crazy isnt it? Verbals post was bang on the money. Pepe lovers will slaughter mignolet for every mistake and forget pepe has been shit for a very long time.

It's ok though......if its broke, you don't fix it. We all know that saying.

Jesus wept.

Some people are glass half-full & expect signings to be decent and hope to be proved right.

Some people are glass half-empty & expect signings to fail & hope to be proved wrong.

Are there any real transfer movements / rumours ?

Jesus wept.

Some people are glass half-full & expect signings to be decent and hope to be proved right.

Some people are glass half-empty & expect signings to fail & hope to be proved wrong.

Are there any real transfer movements / rumours ?

I seen someone on twitter who likes to think he hears the odd bit of news about the club say now we've pulled out of signing the Greek we're looking at Micah Richards, Aldewerild and think about going for Ashley Williams again.

Which begs the question who is there out there who we could realistically sign who'd be ready for our first team?

Lescott. Wouldn't cost a lot. Decent pace. Lots of strength. Would give us more experience in the middle while we see how the likes of Kelly or Wisdom might be a longer term solution. If they aren't up to the job then we look for other signings who are younger than Lescott but more established than our own young defenders.

Lescott. Wouldn't cost a lot. Decent pace. Lots of strength. Would give us more experience in the middle while we see how the likes of Kelly or Wisdom might be a longer term solution. If they aren't up to the job then we look for other signings who are younger than Lescott but more established than our own young defenders.

Surely this is Toure you're talking about?

It's hard to say who will be better between Reina and Mignolet. What we do know is that Reina has been below his own high standards for three years, notwithstanding some decent form interspersed here and there, as he is a good goalie after all. But overall I'd say Reina is on the way down, while Mignolet is on the way up. Reina strikes me as a player who needs a fresh challenge. He is a top fella but I get the feeling that he joined us when we were at Europe's top table, though we never won the bigger prizes during his time here, and G&H caused a setback that put Pepe out of step with the team i.e. a top player who would expect CL footy and so on, who found himself playing in a team not quite at that level. This made Pepe go off the boil a bit. I think he needs a new challenge and I hope he finds it. I won't complain if he stays, mind, but I think Mignolet is the future and Reina is the past.

Surely this is Toure you're talking about?

It applies to Toure, but I also think it applies to Lescott. I was throwing a name out of a decent central defender who we could probably sign at a good price. His age means he doesn't have years and years left in the tank, but it will at least give us two years while we find out about the likes of Kelly and Wisdom for central defence. If our own younger players prove to be not quite up to it, we make other signings. I just think we don't HAVE to spend a lot of money on the central defence right now, as we may just have a couple of players already here who could save a lot of money in the long run.

It applies to Toure, but I also think it applies to Lescott. I was throwing a name out of a decent central defender who we could probably sign at a good price. His age means he doesn't have years and years left in the tank, but it will at least give us two years while we find out about the likes of Kelly and Wisdom for central defence. If our own younger players prove to be not quite up to it, we make other signings. I just think we don't HAVE to spend a lot of money on the central defence right now, as we may just have a couple of players already here who could save a lot of money in the long run.

There seem to be a lot on here who think Toure will be a squad player. Can't see it myself. I think he'll be first choice along side Agger.

You can't be serious with this suggestion?

He is total shit, and totally uncomfortable on the ball. He would not suit us when we have the ball and is shit at defending when we don't have it.

There seem to be a lot on here who think Toure will be a squad player. Can't see it myself. I think he'll be first choice along side Agger.

I think so too. If Skrtel leaves we need another experienced defender, and someone like Lescott might be a decent shout if there are concerns over the likes of Papadopolous due to price and recent injuries.

I answered this a while back, i don't think we have been rubbish but we have made the same "fail sauce" mistakes in the transfer market for years.

We go for established experienced players, give them huge wages and pay crazy fee's for them. Then they let us down and we can't shift them.

Sadly people like paul can't see this and still want the club to carry on with it.

This is an utter myth and that seems to be constantly repeated for some strange reason.

Most of the old big earners came under Purslow when we were stitched up at the back end of H&G see Cole, Konchesky and Jovanvic. Reina (22), Agger (22), Mascherno (23), Skrtel (23), Momo (20) Torres (23), Crouch (24) Insua, Lucas etc etc were all younger than the likes of Aspas and Toure. I don't have a problem with our buys as long as we are buying because we think they can help us crack top four and not because we are getting players on low wages. Under Kenny and Commolli the players were young apart from Downing so not sure where you are going with this old and overpaid spiel.

Just deliver something tangible at the end of the season results wise and invest all the money we have in the squad and I won't complain too much. If we don't see results get an experienced man in at the end of the season.

At times we have bought poorly but not because they have been old or overpaid they have in some cases just been bad buys or injury prone the same as United, Chelsea and Arsenal and everyone else.

You can't be serious with this suggestion?

He is total shit, and totally uncomfortable on the ball. He would not suit us when we have the ball and is shit at defending when we don't have it.

I'm not especially burning a candle for Lescott, but I was just trying to generate an option for discussion in response to a question asked on the last page. Lescott is an experienced defender who might be available for a decent price. I think he is better than you are suggesting. He isn't the future, but he would give us a couple of years while we see how the likes of Kelly could adapt to life as a central defender (I think it could be the making of him, as his hamstrings might not be suited to running up and down the flank as a right back).

I'm not especially burning a candle for Lescott, but I was just trying to generate an option for discussion in response to a question asked on the last page. Lescott is an experienced defender who might be available for a decent price. I think he is better than you are suggesting. He isn't the future, but he would give us a couple of years while we see how the likes of Kelly could adapt to life as a central defender (I think it could be the making of him, as his hamstrings might not be suited to running up and down the flank as a right back).

I wonder if Rodgers different training regime might suit Kelly like it has gerrard and agger?

Everyone seems to think Kelly is a centre back though so maybe we should just switch him there now, like your saying.

What i don't want is us to buy players like lescott as squad filers because they are decent. Obviously i don't rate him but i do see your point in terms of signing a player of his type.

I would much rather go for a player who is totally comfortable in possession though. It's what we need in terms of the system we want to play. I'd prefer it if we took a gamble on a younger defender who isnt from England.

I think so too. If Skrtel leaves we need another experienced defender, and someone like Lescott might be a decent shout if there are concerns over the likes of Papadopolous due to price and recent injuries.

I just can't see a player like Toure or Lescott bench warming. Its a pretty tricky situation at centre back as its probably the only area of the team where ideally you don't have any squad rotation at all. If Toure and Agger are fit for all 38 league games I can't see them sitting many out.

This Mkhitaryan saga has enough twists for him to be known as Henrikh M.NightShyamalan from now on.

That means there will be at least one instance of somebody doing something absolute baffling on a par with aliens deciding to come to a planet which is 70% water when water is like kryptonite to them.

If Mignolet starts the season for us he will be jumped on for his first mistake and the Pepe fanclub ( who never see any fault in him ) will slaughter the lad and anyone who backed him.

Remember any of you who actually accept Reina has been diabolical for 30 of the last 36 months that any Reina mistakes are due to '' us being shite for 3 years '' or '' unsettled defence ''

If however we keep a clean sheet this is entirely down to Reina and he did win Golden Gloves a few times, nothing to do with the defence obviously.

A decent save every 10 games should be greeted with orgasmic joy by all his fans with their little man crushes.

You know who you are...

Spot on, that. Sad but inevitable.