You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bands you're not allowed to LIKE amnesty

Redder Lurtz

Right-oh. Following the "Bands you're not allowed to dislike" thread, lets have a go at this one. This could get seriously embarrassing but meh, let's see who's got the balls to let us metaphorically scour their record collection. These are bands / artists who you know it's not good to stand in the middle of a pub and shout "I like Kajagoogoo" for fear of being left by your woman and beaten up by the knuckle draggers therein. Some of these bands may even have been considered "cool" to like but frankly no longer are. I'll start:

- Captain Sensible (On leaving the Damned he did an album called "Women and Captains First" which contains a few cracking little tunes. Oh, and saw him play live and got leathered with him afterwards. Top bloke)

- UB40 (I'm not talking "Kingston Town" or even "Red Red Wine." I'm talking "One in Ten," "The Earth Dies Screaming," "Madame Medusa")

- The Pogues

- Prince Buster (Don't care what anyone says, the bloke's awesome)

- Crass (I know, I know)

Come on GF. Spill.

Right-oh. Following the "Bands you're not allowed to dislike" thread, lets have a go at this one. This could get seriously embarrassing but meh, let's see who's got the balls to let us metaphorically scour their record collection. These are bands / artists who you know it's not good to stand in the middle of a pub and shout "I like Kajagoogoo" for fear of being left by your woman and beaten up by the knuckle draggers therein. Some of these bands may even have been considered "cool" to like but frankly no longer are. I'll start:

- Captain Sensible (On leaving the Damned he did an album called "Women and Captains First" which contains a few cracking little tunes. Oh, and saw him play live and got leathered with him afterwards. Top bloke)

- UB40 (I'm not talking "Kingston Town" or even "Red Red Wine." I'm talking "One in Ten," "The Earth Dies Screaming," "Madame Medusa")

- The Pogues

- Prince Buster (Don't care what anyone says, the bloke's awesome)

- Crass (I know, I know)

Come on GF. Spill.

The Pogues? I thought they were credible.

Anyway for me, Pete Doherty, if I say I like him or anything to do with him (The Libertines/Babyshambles), I just get the reply 'fucking druggie knobhead'.

He's the first musician to ever take drugs, apparently.

Morrissey, to an extent too, depends who you speak to really.

Fucking good job this is an amnesty Mr The-Sir.

I second your Adam Ant shout though. Kings of the Wild Frontier is a great album.

Hahaha, nah I agree, they're a catchy pop band though. I don't particularly like them, but I dont mind them either. They're not in the same cuntishness bracket as Coldplay or the Killers, for me anyway.

Can I add Madness in here or are they still ok to like? I personally think Suggs' presence on adverts and shite tv programmes has slightly tarnished the wonder of what was once a great band, but the music still fucking rules.

Still? I didn't think it was ever OK to like Madness. I am only 26 though.

As with every amnesty thread, there seems to be misunderstandings over what the word means.

Half of this stuff isn't amnesty material.

Well I'm not sure I'd like to stand in a pub in Brighouse loudly bigging up the wonders of UB40. I think I'd be told by most people that thet're shit.

It's subjective, Hammy.

Well I'm not sure I'd like to stand in a pub in Brighouse loudly bigging up the wonders of UB40. I think I'd be told by most people that thet're shit.

It's subjective, Hammy.

Sure, but the sort of stuff that's so deeply embarrassing you need an amnesty for it, should be reasonably obvious.

UB40 were a critically acclaimed group before they went karaoke. The Pogues have always been ace. Adam Ant needs no amnesty.

Ace of Base. 2 Unlimited. Big Fun.

That's amnesty material.

Sure, but the sort of stuff that's so deeply embarrassing you need an amnesty for it, should be reasonably obvious.

UB40 were a critically acclaimed group before they went karaoke. The Pogues have always been ace. Adam Ant needs no amnesty.

Ace of Base. 2 Unlimited. Big Fun.

That's amnesty material.

I assume this is your contribution to the thread Mr H?

Amnesty or not, you have some explaining to do.

Now that's what I call Amnesty! Horrible, horrible band. Whiny shite.

From Brighouse too. I Bet they'd be local heroes in the pub Lurtzy.

I like Out of Nowhere and The Good Will Out.