You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jermaine Defoe

Selfish little goalscorer is what we need

Too late, we should have signed him 5 years ago. We need to put the trust in the youth players. It will give us more chance of signing the best young kids if they are shown to be given a go. It's been too long since we had a youth player come right through.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too late, we should have signed him 5 years ago. We need to put the trust in the youth players. It will give us more chance of signing the best young kids if they are shown to be given a go. It's been too long since we had a youth player come right through.

Completely agree with this and it has been proven to work in different leagues at different stages. United supplemented their side with kids who ended up being their side, Ajax won a European Cup and countless league titles off the back of youth development and playing a certain way, Barcelona were shown the Ajax way by Cruyff and then perfected it in a way even he and Michels could only have dreamed.

Look at Borussia Dortmund, they overcame a juggernaught in Bayern and they did so after nearly being declared bankrupt. They were not able to get the Riberys, the Mullers, the Robbens and the Gomez's so they went out and got the Lewandowskis, the Sahins, the Kubas, Schmeltzers, Piszceks etc. They had faith in young players, they believed in a style of play and they completed a quite miraculous turn around from a far worse position than ours.

IT CAN BE DONE!

i'd like us to spend 10- 15 million on some foreign lad with a boss foreign name who i've never heard of before but will get my expectations sky high once again, only for him to turn out shite as usual.

But at least I'd be momentarily exited.

Why don't we do like last year - buy a proven British winger and pay through the nose.... Only to see him turn out shite #downing

I liked Morgan was surprised at how well he played if you compare him to how Eccelston played he was head and shoulders above him.Actually looked dangerous and nearly got through a few times against a decent Roma defence.

Though doubt he is ready but deserves a run in the league cup this season along with a few of the others.

Agreed, though Morgan look confident and wasn't fazed by the occasion at all, he even gave Hienze some shit. Looks a strong lad who just needs an older head to take him under his wing and help him (it may well be Carra after the way he ran over to him after scoring the other night?) and with Rush and Fowler on board, you couldn't wish for 2 better natural finishers to help his development.

Introduction:

Last night, and the other game, and last season, and the last few years, have indicated the big flaw in our squad. We need a quick, direct, attacking player who can score goals and create chances for others. In some parlance, they used to be known as 'wingers', but are now usually referred to as 'wide forwards', or something like that.

Information:

I was watching last night, and of course I recognise that it's a young side shorn of the attacking talents of Gerrard, Suarez, Borini, Downing and Carroll, I see that. And I was thinking, hmmm, I wonder how much better we would play if we bought Joe Allen for £15m and put him in the side. I think the honest answer to that is, 'not a lot'. Even if we had 100% possession in all games, I still think we're short of AT LEAST one player who can something out-of-the-ordinary with the ball at their feet.

Dramatisation:

I liken this situation to us being a jet fighter but without any ammo. We just swoop around the skies looking menacing, but unable to really do any damage.

Executive Summary:

If we're going to pay £15m for a player, now, then it would be a mistake for that player NOT to be an attacker who can help us to score goals and scare the opposition.

Suggestions:

Don't give a fuck, anyone, someone.

You'd probably get Ramirez for that amount, and God knows we need that kind of player more than anything!

Hmmm, I thought this thread would go more the way of ..."we should buy Dries Martins or Tello" as opposed to the "Nunez was shite, and so was Pennant" direction.

Either way, if we don't buy someone gifted in the final third to help Suarez, then we're going to be suffering from exactly the same problems we had last season, no matter how pretty the football is to get us there.

BRENDAN, LISTEN TO ME.

It depends how we are going to play. Carroll and Suarez are fine as the big/little man combo with crosses whipped in- but that is not Rodger's style.

interesting that you say that the 1 thing that stood out in the 2 pre season matches so far was the lack of height up front.There has been 4 or 5 high balls into the box each game and nobody tall enough to get on the end of them

i'll be honest i am pro andy carroll and i think carroll borini and suarez would be an excellent front 3 and should be given a chance instead of losing 15m in offloading the big lad

Carroll may well be tall, but he wouldn't dart across the box to get on the end of a cross, so it's neither here nor there.

Another aspect of it is WHY FUCKING CROSS THE BALL TO NOBODY?

I hate that argument, "oooh, good cross, should have been someone in there"....no, it's not a 'cross', it's a wasted bit attack because the winger was too impatient or scared to try something else with the ball.

this guy ramirez looks like a really attack minded midfielder so much so that I think he'd be a bit lax on the defending and the general hard work to get the ball back BR wants his team to show.

But definitely a very good attacking player who could play anywhere. bit like mcmanaman.

Not sure a wide player is on the cards, especially if carroll is off.

I'd like our transfer policy to take the route of don't buy unless they have the ability to become great.

Personally I'd like to see someone like Draxler being signed and Sahin being loaned (if only someone at the club knew maurhino!).

The key for me is that I don't want to sign anyone that would stop the development of someone like Sterling or Suso, both of whom have the ability to be great, even if it means having dross like Downing in the side for now. The problem is that BR will get slated from the word go for poor performances and not signing some expensive star.

We won't even end up with one.

Seems like it. Nothing factual but from seeing what we're trying to do this summer FSG have told Rodgers that he'll have next to no net spend (under £10m) this summer and won't be allowed to increase the wage budget. Probably why we're trying to get Carroll out so we can fund the Borini/Allen transfers.

Don't think we'll be able to stretch the budget to buy a good attacking player. I'd love to be wrong about that though.