You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

30 minutes ago, Manny said:

Fair fucks to you. I did RED January a few years ago - running every day, 5k minimum, for a month. It wasn't as awful as I first feared but I still took a week off once the 1st Feb rolled around!

Dropped out of running quite a bit when we had our little'un (and I started working from home a lot more) in 2020, so I've lost a lot of pace (and gained a lot of weight) and I've found it hard to get back into it as I'm so far off what I used to be capable of that I just find it dispiriting. Managed a half marathon at the weekend and was seconds away from getting under 2hrs though so I'm not as far off as I think, just need to keep the fitness I've built up now!

Knocking out a half marathon after a bit of time off is quality. It’s all about little aims and gains mate. Keep it going lad! 

22 hours ago, littletedwest said:

My cousin does that. He even ran on his wedding day last year and also when he had covid (guessing his covid wasn't bad)

Had a few days where I've had to figure out how and when to get it done - like going on holiday, early flights etc! Also my 2nd bout of COVID came after rules had been relaxed so I was allowed out and was feeling fin - I live right next to Croxteth Park so plenty of routes in there where not many people around

21 hours ago, an tha said:

Superb effort.

Cheers!

21 hours ago, Manny said:

Fair fucks to you. I did RED January a few years ago - running every day, 5k minimum, for a month. It wasn't as awful as I first feared but I still took a week off once the 1st Feb rolled around!

Dropped out of running quite a bit when we had our little'un (and I started working from home a lot more) in 2020, so I've lost a lot of pace (and gained a lot of weight) and I've found it hard to get back into it as I'm so far off what I used to be capable of that I just find it dispiriting. Managed a half marathon at the weekend and was seconds away from getting under 2hrs though so I'm not as far off as I think, just need to keep the fitness I've built up now!

Thats how it started - with a RED January - but we had to isolate for a week due to my daughter getting COVID so once I got out I was in the mindset of "do RED February" instead........  and on and on it went! I only started running in 2019 but lockdown and working from home made me get into it more. Lost 2.5 stone and had to buy a new set of clothes - the fear of putting that back on and having to go up a size again is another motivation! Thats not a bad time at all for a half - well done!!

20 hours ago, Kepler-186 said:

I’d be emailing the Glastonbury marketing bods and Running magazine, try and get some VIP shit! 

Superb that mate. I’ve hit the fitness/running again since last July and stepped it up since Jan. Hearing yours and others efforts is inspiring. 

Haha - worth thinking about! I am an early riser any way so was up and out quite early through the festival site each day last year - got a few funny looks from people on their way back to tents from the night before! A few people on my own FB have said about how I have inspired - its weird as I never meant to be doing that but if it does encourage others then thats fine by me!

If anyone is interested, feel free to follow me on Strava

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GR10 LFC said:

Had a few days where I've had to figure out how and when to get it done - like going on holiday, early flights etc! Also my 2nd bout of COVID came after rules had been relaxed so I was allowed out and was feeling fin - I live right next to Croxteth Park so plenty of routes in there where not many people around

Cheers!

Thats how it started - with a RED January - but we had to isolate for a week due to my daughter getting COVID so once I got out I was in the mindset of "do RED February" instead........  and on and on it went! I only started running in 2019 but lockdown and working from home made me get into it more. Lost 2.5 stone and had to buy a new set of clothes - the fear of putting that back on and having to go up a size again is another motivation! Thats not a bad time at all for a half - well done!!

Haha - worth thinking about! I am an early riser any way so was up and out quite early through the festival site each day last year - got a few funny looks from people on their way back to tents from the night before! A few people on my own FB have said about how I have inspired - its weird as I never meant to be doing that but if it does encourage others then thats fine by me!

If anyone is interested, feel free to follow me on Strava

My best mate has got himself a ticket for this year and he’s a boss runner but I can guarantee he’d be clocking you as he’s heading back to his tent! 

• 3 weeks later...

Did the Mersey Tunnel 10km this morning. First time I’d done a race at that distance - had an unofficial PB of 48:35 from running that distance locally. Tough start with getting boxed in the crowd at the beginning and then the uphill element of the tunnel and access road once through the tunnel but felt happy with my pace one I got on the waterfront (the new stadium looks huge from the other side, was quite surprised at that!).  Didn’t look at my watch until I’d crossed the line and was delighted with a time of 46:40!

• Upvote 6

Phenomenal perfromances by both the men's and women's marathon winners today.

Interesting to see where Kelvin Kiptum goes from here. They said he has only run 1 marathon before, with his first the fastest debut marathon of all time and this being the second fastest marathon of all time.

54 minutes ago, John102 said:

Phenomenal perfromances by both the men's and women's marathon winners today.

Interesting to see where Kelvin Kiptum goes from here. They said he has only run 1 marathon before, with his first the fastest debut marathon of all time and this being the second fastest marathon of all time.

What about the women’s winner, Sifan Hassan? We were shouting at her to stop when she was struggling earlier on. What did we know

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Champ said:

What about the women’s winner, Sifan Hassan? We were shouting at her to stop when she was struggling earlier on. What did we know

Was boss.

Was literally on feet in front of telly cheering her on when she went for the sprint finish.

An absolutely amazing achievement - to fall as far behind leaders as she did, to have to stop and to be clearly troubled as she was and then to have the mental and physical strength to pull it around, was awe inspiring to watch.

Anytime i am running and it gets tough, i'll be thinking of what she did today.

• Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...

Bit of bragging here i suppose (such a sad bastard) but been training really hard over last 3 months or so since joining a running club and it is really paying off.

Got my 10k PB in a race down under 50 mins - never run under 50 even in training and clocked a 47:14 on Sunday in a 10k race.

Got 5k down to 22:53 again in a race.

Start of year 5k best was over 24.

Just goes to show even an old man who has only been running a couple of years or so can improve and that putting the work in pays off.

Loving it at the minute.

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

Managed 22:19 for 5k yesterday so a new a PB, made up with that.

Got a 10 mile race on Sunday - hoping to go just inside 1:20:00 - which is of course dead on 8 mins a mile.

Think that given i could hold 7:32 per mile pace over 10k (so 6.2 miles) i don't think i could hold that for 10 miles - so gonna see how 8 mins a mile pace feels and if i can then go faster in last 2 or 3 miles great.....

A predictor calculator i use, where you put in recent times and distances is predicting i could run 1:18:13....I would be made up with that - but i'd take anything just inside 1:20:00.

Hopefully can do it.

Getting a lot of joy out of running of late - so good for mind and body.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Well done! That was mine until last weekend, when I knocked another second off! I was running the Run for the 97 but was going away for the weekend so did it virtually, around Croxteth Park parkrun route. Was made up as I don’t normally get to that pace in a solo run. 

What’s the predictor site you reference - can you share a link please?

28 minutes ago, GR10 LFC said:

Well done! That was mine until last weekend, when I knocked another second off! I was running the Run for the 97 but was going away for the weekend so did it virtually, around Croxteth Park parkrun route. Was made up as I don’t normally get to that pace in a solo run. 

What’s the predictor site you reference - can you share a link please?

Nice work, pal. The run for the 97 itself is good  - but fair do's doing it virtually.

Yeah link here - stick a time in and distance and it gives you all the predicted times for other distances below.

https://sporttracks.mobi/labs/race-finish-time-predictor

I put my 47:14 10k in and it gave me the following.

Screenshot-20230603-000407-Chrome.jpg

On 02/06/2023 at 22:14, an tha said:

Got a 10 mile race on Sunday - hoping to go just inside 1:20:00 - which is of course dead on 8 mins a mile.

Think that given i could hold 7:32 per mile pace over 10k (so 6.2 miles) i don't think i could hold that for 10 miles - so gonna see how 8 mins a mile pace feels and if i can then go faster in last 2 or 3 miles great.....

A predictor calculator i use, where you put in recent times and distances is predicting i could run 1:18:13....I would be made up with that - but i'd take anything just inside 1:20:00.

Hopefully can do it.

1:16:44

Made up - well inside the 1:20:00

7:40 per mile pace for 10 miles - did not think i could hold it but testament to how much improved this year that i could.

Yeah i am not fast and i never will be - but these sort of times are getting me inside top half in 400 plus runner fields and a lot of people younger than me are behind me!

Made up with that - improving all time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, an tha said:

1:16:44

Made up - well inside the 1:20:00

7:40 per mile pace for 10 miles - did not think i could hold it but testament to how much improved this year that i could.

Yeah i am not fast and i never will be - but these sort of times are getting me inside top half in 400 plus runner fields and a lot of people younger than me are behind me!

Made up with that - improving all time.

I find it depends on the route. I appreciate if you start and finish at the same point elevation kind of balances out if if not its important. My normal route was hilly as fuck and 30 mins was a push for a 5k loop. I did an organised 10 point to point and smashed 50 mins. I was amazed.

26 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

I find it depends on the route. I appreciate if you start and finish at the same point elevation kind of balances out if if not its important. My normal route was hilly as fuck and 30 mins was a push for a 5k loop. I did an organised 10 point to point and smashed 50 mins. I was amazed.

Yeah most courses in my albeit limited experience tend to sort of level out overall....you get bad bits and you get good bits.

For example i recently did two 10k's in a few days....i was told by lad doing the 2nd one to "add about 2 mins total to whatever i ran in the one the other day"....He was almost dead on - i was 1min and 58 secs slower total.

Descent and Ascent on first one = 249ft ascent, 230ft descent.

2nd one was...415ft ascent, 417 descent.

So a significantly more amount of climbing in terms of ft climbed but some more forgiving descents.

Today for the 10 miler 392ft ascent, 382 descent.

For me personally i'm just trying to get a bit better all the time 

I ran a half marathon in March - ok it was lousy conditions, cold and wet and a fair chunk of it was over boggy ground - but it took me 1:51....8.27 per mile.

Ascent was 257ft, Descent was 270ft

I can now run 10 miles at nearly a minute per mile quicker than that and feel fine doing so - ok conditions today were better, but i climbed more and even in more ideal conditions i know 47 secs a mile quicker is a big difference and not down to course, but down to me being a bit fitter, a bit stronger and a bit better.

Totally agree courses and that will make a difference of course - but for me the markers so to speak should and at present for me are saying i am getting better - even when that means running a tougher course....time may be slower than an easier one but it's a better time relatively.

I'll plateau soon of course - i am experiencing 'newbie gains' at mo!

On 03/06/2023 at 00:05, an tha said:

Cheers mate! And well done with the 10 miler time. 

just had a quick look, I am in same range as you. I have finally made a decision to do a marathon - entered London and my son in law knows someone who works on it and has said that they can arrange for me to deffo get the ballot. Will be  hoping for just under 4 hours and that’s in that range. 

On 02/06/2023 at 22:14, an tha said:

Hopefully can do it.

That's some time mate, fair play to you.

2 hours ago, GR10 LFC said:

Cheers mate! And well done with the 10 miler time. 

just had a quick look, I am in same range as you. I have finally made a decision to do a marathon - entered London and my son in law knows someone who works on it and has said that they can arrange for me to deffo get the ballot. Will be  hoping for just under 4 hours and that’s in that range. 

Nice one. Good luck. Keep us updated...sure you can do it.

I reckon if i ran a marathon tomorrow i could squeeze under 4 now - so sure you can - loads of time to prepare well for it too and get to start line in best shape....Put the training in and trust the training process and on the day you'll know you can do it - just a case then of staying calm and executing race plan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fucking hell remembered how hard marathon training is.

Done 30 miles since Sunday and still have a 60 min run to come on Saturday and then a 1 hr 45 min run on Sunday.

That will put my around 50 for week and that is gonna go up and up over next few weeks.

Determined to get into best level of fitness i can and break 4 hours. I feel 3.45 might be doable.

• Upvote 1

Got knock-backs yesterday for the London marathon and also the 2nd ballot for the London landmarks half.
On a more positive note - yesterday was my 900th consecutive day of running minimum 5km per day. Determined to try and get a comma in that figure now - would be 14th October if I can make it to the 1000. Going to Vegas the week after next so gonna be a struggle to keep it going there but hoping to manage it!

• Upvote 4

Aside from the odd excursion into my local park I've been doing most of my running on a treadmill this year, something I never thought I'd fancy a while back. I think it's the lack of cunts getting in my way that I find appealing. That and being able to track my times, pace and improvements with accuracy. Oh, and having a bottle of water easily at hand. I do miss the cunts with their dogs though. I've even been doing incline runs, which I've found to be really beneficial in improving my leg strength. They also make doing the same distances without inclines seem that bit easier too. I've beat both my 5k and 10k treadmill records in the past month, which is cool.

I'm doing my first ever 10k race this month, at the Olympic Park, Stratford, with a mate who's a lot more of a seasoned runner than me. £25 a pop is a bit steep, but it's an experience, and I get a free medal for finishing last, which is cool. 

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/07/2023 at 14:52, GR10 LFC said:

Got knock-backs yesterday for the London marathon and also the 2nd ballot for the London landmarks half.
On a more positive note - yesterday was my 900th consecutive day of running minimum 5km per day. Determined to try and get a comma in that figure now - would be 14th October if I can make it to the 1000. Going to Vegas the week after next so gonna be a struggle to keep it going there but hoping to manage it!

Great work

Just on a real improvement curve at present.

Started doing these different runs in training - progression, tempo, threshold etc and the gains just keep coming.

Recently raced my PB over 10k 46:19 which was nice but then Saturday entered a 7 mile race (strange distance but hey) and killed it in 50:03....that is 7 mins 9 secs a mile pace - and it wasn't a flat course.

That is 18 secs a mile faster than my 10k PB before. If i run same pace at a 10k race i am running on sunday i will clock 44:26 - so would knock nearly 2 mins off PB.

I can't believe how much i am improving at present - of course it will plateau - but no problem. As it stands i think that 3:45:00 marathon in sep is doable.

• Upvote 3