You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

American Psycho

GOLDMEMBER

It's only been out for over 20 years, well done.

And they are apparently making another version of the film, which seems utterly pointless

Whats your point? Do you expect him to have read every book written in the past 20 years? He might be 20 years old. They are remaking total recall, now that is pointless.

And they are apparently making another version of the film, which seems utterly pointless

I know, however, when it first come out I would of been around 8. Happy I've started reading it now though.

Definetely shouldn't remake the film. It'll get watered down and get a 12a rating, fuck that.

Whats your point? Do you expect him to have read every book written in the past 20 years? He might be 20 years old. They are remaking total recall, now that is pointless.

No, don't be silly. It was just the tone seemed to be a bit 'oh wow, you've gotta check this out' when most people already have. Years ago.

I would welcome a new, faithful adaptation tbh mate. I thought the film was fucking terrible. Just completely missing the entire point of Easton-Ellis' fantastic book.

Bale in average splatter movie gash.

I would welcome a new, faithful adaptation tbh mate. I thought the film was fucking terrible. Just completely missing the entire point of Easton-Ellis' fantastic book.

Bale in average splatter movie gash.

Really? I saw it when it was first out, and thought it was a very good version of the novel, and perfectly cast. Certainly you can't be as graphic as the book was.

Unless you have very well-trained rats

It's a top film and I'm sure someone sent me the book a couple of years ago. Might have been PB15 or maybe Skidders? Or it might have been Robboriise come to think of it. Can't remember. Anyway, it's good but I think my ex annexed it when we split up.

Disappointed in you Lurtz.

The film completely misses the entire point of the book.

I think Fight Club is a far more closer / faithful version of the written American Psycho !

It's a top film and I'm sure someone sent me the book a couple of years ago. Might have been PB15 or maybe Skidders? Or it might have been Robboriise come to think of it. Can't remember. Anyway, it's good but I think my ex annexed it when we split up.

I have read it several times and I love him as an author.

But I do find I skip all the torture and really gruesome scenes and just re- read the brilliantly funny dialogue.

Glamorama is equally funny.

Although I do find reading any of his novels makes me crave cocaine

Really? I saw it when it was first out, and thought it was a very good version of the novel, and perfectly cast. Certainly you can't be as graphic as the book was.

Unless you have very well-trained rats

It's been a long time since I read American Psycho tbh, (or seen it for that matter), but there is an absolutely pivotal scene in the book where the increasingly tortured / borderline insane Bateman is out at lunch with his dowdy lovestruck secretary and inwardly he is reaching out and begging her to show him some genuine love; he is on the brink of the abyss or of salvation...crucial scene which the film just did not include.

Sorry lads, I just thought it was a run of the mill splatter fest and I think Bale is (usually) a piss poor actor.

It's been a long time since I read American Psycho tbh, (or seen it for that matter), but there is an absolutely pivotal scene in the book where the increasingly tortured / borderline insane Bateman is out at lunch with his dowdy lovestruck secretary and inwardly he is reaching out and begging her to show him some genuine love; he is on the brink of the abyss or of salvation...crucial scene which the film just did not include.

Sorry lads, I just thought it was a run of the mill splatter fest and I think Bale is (usually) a piss poor actor.

I'm not sure about that. There aren't any crucial scenes, because the entire book hints that Bateman is a mentally ill fantasist and it's impossible to discern between reality and what happens in his head

I'm not sure about that. There aren't any crucial scenes, because the entire book hints that Bateman is a mentally ill fantasist and it's impossible to discern between reality and what happens in his head

Not sure about that either mate. Like I say, it was a long time ago when I last read the book, and I'd agree that the narrative steadily builds upon / towards Bateman's fractured state.

However, the chapter or scene that really stood out for me was the one I mentioned earlier, where he seemed to be reaching out for something or someone real. Where, for one brief moment there was a ray of humanity in Bateman; a faint ray of light in a very, very dark novel.

Must say, I loved the book, and I envy Goldmember for reading it for the very first time.

Read the book for the first time there about 4 months ago. It was excellent, loved the film too although the scene with the sec is not in it, (which is fairly important in fairness to CD). my favourite bit was cut too, when his brother brings him to dorsia. Bale nailed it in my opinion, Witherspoon was filth.

SpeedyG. Worra great guy. Much missed around these parts.

Got to agree with CD on the film here. I was expecting a completely different type of film but instead got some sanitised version (obviously) which had been watered down so much that the original point of the book was lost. It just seemed to retell the story in the book (while missing out the obvious bits) but I never felt it got to grip with his emotions the fucking mad cunt. I loved the character in the book in a kind of *shakes head* type way but the film left me cold and indifferent towards him.

In saying that, I'm not sure a film could ever do the book justice, it's just too well written. I might need to revisit it though, I last read the book about 17 years ago I reckon and only saw the film once when it came out.

Glamorama is fucking ace though.

The cinematic version is kind of a glorious failure. It's enjoyable for what it is, but as an adaption it fails, that said I'm not sure anyone could ever do the book justice. I thought Bale did a good job, personally think he's a great actor. DiCaprio was originally lined up to play Bateman, that would of been a whole different film.

I enjoyed Glamorama, it just reminded me of Zoolander a bit too much.

doesn't he run into tom cruises character from cocktail in the lift in the book? thats what i heard anyway. Not read it

film is good though. although that blonde hooker makes me feel sick, no way i'd let her wash her grotty twat in my bath. or drink my wine.

Can't see how you can make a faithfull adaptation of the book? The torture scenes are disturbing, and far to graphic for film.

Some of his earlier books are really good, Less Than Zero and Rules of Attraction (which was a decent film). I like the way he uses characters from different books in different novels. As though that world is pretty homogenous.