You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

There are massive racists in the Tories, no doubt.  But Jo was a little bit racist in his tweet wasn’t he? 

Whether the language he used in that one tweet was racist is debatable; the fact that the Tory Party is thoroughly, institutionally racist from top to bottom is surely beyond doubt.

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

That's right, he was massively racist in his tweet.

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Well, he can’t be racist as he’s got black friends. 

Get to fuck, the pair of you! 

It's not racist to point out that the Tory Party is thoroughly racist. And nobody is using the "he's got black friends" argument, so you can shove that back up the hole you pulled it from.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's not racist to point out that the Tory Party is thoroughly racist. And nobody is using the "he's got black friends" argument, so you can shove that back up the hole you pulled it from.

I think you should reread Jo’s timeline.  He uses himself. 

15 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Whatever things you can say about the Tories, I don't think a reluctance to appoint "brown people" to top jobs is one of them. The government looks like a United Colors of Benetton ad. Javid, Sunak, Braverman, Zahawi, Cleverly, Sharma, and no doubt a few others who are taking an absolute kicking in the other threads on this forum. To put it another way, I'd certainly like to see how the makeup of the cabinet compares to Jolyon's chambers.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I think you should reread Jo’s timeline.  He uses himself. 

Does he? Really?

I'm really not going to scroll through anyone's entire timeline to find evidence of one of your claims (given your track record of nonsense).

Just now, Strontium said:

Whatever things you can say about the Tories, I don't think a reluctance to appoint "brown people" to top jobs is one of them. The government looks like a United Colors of Benetton ad. Javid, Sunak, Braverman, Zahawi, Cleverly, Sharma, and no doubt a few others who are taking an absolute kicking in the other threads on this forum. To put it another way, I'd certainly like to see how the makeup of the cabinet compares to Jolyon's chambers.

But they weren't voted into those top jobs by the same voters - the Tory members - who will be voting for the leader, so I don't think it's comparable. 

For clarity, whilst I don't think the question was racist, I don't think those selecting the leader are significantly more or less racist than any other party. 

Just now, Strontium said:

So much wrong here.

The original tweet was nothing to do with any appointed positions; it's about an elected position. It's about the fact that a party that courts and panders to racists has a membership who know what they like and it's white, white, white.

You list some BAME Tories and point out that they get "an absolute kicking" on this forum. Do you think they get it worse than white Tories? Do you think that their skin colour has any influence on the way they are viewed on here? Or are you just being a snide prick flinging innuendos around (again)?

As for "Jolyon's chambers" are you suggesting that his workplace is any different from the rest of the upper echelons of the legal profession? Or are you suggesting that, because the routes to success in that profession (and so many other professions) are marked by institutional racism, no lawyer should call out racism elsewhere?

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Do you think they get it worse than white Tories? Do you think that their skin colour has any influence on the way they are viewed on here?

I know that I often hold back on the likes of Boris (and Corbyn) because he's white. You should hear what I'd say about him if he wasn't. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

"A lot of BAME people agree with the point I made" isn't the same as "I can't be racist, I've got black friends". Not the same at all.

So glad I never wasted any time scrolling through Twitter for that.

Ha ha ha it’s exactly the fucking same. ‘Here’s some black people who agree with me’. When he’s tweeted at a black man he can’t win an election because his party is racist.  When the party chose him as a candidate and the people in his constituency voted him in.  

9 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Ha ha ha it’s exactly the fucking same. ‘Here’s some black people who agree with me’. When he’s tweeted at a black man he can’t win an election because his party is racist.  When the party chose him as a candidate and the people in his constituency voted him in.  

His constituency has voted Tory since 1910. I don't think that the fact that they voted Tory again means that they're all committed anti-racists. 

He was chosen as a candidate by the party HQ, not the members. The point is that the members of the Tory Party are (by definition) racist; given the choice, they will vote for a white Tory over a black or brown Tory, every time.

I'd argue that "they voted for Sunak (when he was the only Tory available) so they can't be racist" is a fuck of a lot closer to "I can't be racist, I've got black friends" than anything Maugham tweeted.

• Upvote 1

So just to clarify..even thought a independent report found the party to be institutionally Islamaphobic,that one of their flag shop policies is to stop brown people coming here in dinghies,and their recently departed leader is even on record saying border line racist comments..the party do not have a problem with racism, because they have people of colour on the front bench?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Red Phoenix said:

What about Labour? Too many whites, too many males.

Time to step down Keir and hand the leadership over to Zarah Sultana.

Let's do this.

You know how much I love, admire, and respect you, right? Any chance you don't subject me to Nadine fucking Dorries on the daily? 

9 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

So just to clarify..even thought a independent report found the party to be institutionally Islamaphobic,that one of their flag shop policies is to stop brown people coming here in dinghies,and their recently departed leader is even on record saying border line racist comments..the party do not have a problem with racism, because they have people of colour on the front bench?

I wish someone was arguing that.  It’s entirely possible to hold two thoughts;

1) The Tories have some massive racists

2) Jo Maugham’s tweet was a bit racist

18 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

His constituency has voted Tory since 1910. I don't think that the fact that they voted Tory again means that they're all committed anti-racists. 

He was chosen as a candidate by the party HQ, not the members. The point is that the members of the Tory Party are (by definition) racist; given the choice, they will vote for a white Tory over a black or brown Tory, every time.

I'd argue that "they voted for Sunak (when he was the only Tory available) so they can't be racist" is a fuck of a lot closer to "I can't be racist, I've got black friends" than anything Maugham tweeted.

You are arguing with yourself here.  

12 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Correct. Just like the election of Obama ended racism in the USA.

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

There are massive racists in the Tories, no doubt.  But Jo was a little bit racist in his tweet wasn’t he? 

This is my comment.  How anyone can think I’m trying to defend or deny racism from that is fucking beyond me.