You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Going to throw out a few categories, would be nice to hear everyone else's opinion.

Who is the best fighter you've ever seen?

Who is the best active fighter?

Who is your favourite fighter of all time?

Who is your favourite active fighter?

What is the best fight you've ever seen?

What is your favourite fight of all time?

Who is the best British fighter you've ever seen?

Who is your favourite British fighter ever?

What is the best domestic fight you've ever seen(it's fine if the opponent was foreign)?

What is your favourite domestic fight?

1. It's obviously tight, but I think I'm going with Sugar Ray Leonard; wonderful technician, fought the best of his era - Pryor being the exception - and decisively beat them all, in my view, as well as having the heart of a champion to match his skill.

2. Evander Holyfield. Can't praise him enough really. So much boxing skill that he could have probably boxed his way through a comfortable career; but that wasn't the man he was. The second you caught him, the game plan was out the window and he was coming after you; it didn't matter if you were the biggest puncher in heavyweight history - for me that honour belongs to Foreman, but Tyson is another contender - Evander was just fearless. The 90s were a golden age for that division and he fought them all, and almost all of them were wars. That's leaving his aside his career as the best Crusierweight ever and the absolutely exceptional shootout he had with Qawi - a must watch if you haven't seen it.

3. Juan Manuel Marquez. The Sami Hyypia of boxing. A joy to watch when he starts his wonderfully precise combination punching - uppercuts, body and head - he's a remarkably gifted fighter. I also like that Knockdowns seem to energise him, there's something wonderfully endearing about that. I do wish he wasn't so fixated with Pacman, as there are other opponents I would pay to see him fight, but their fights have been utterly thrilling. (For the record, I think the first two fights could easily have gone either way, but the third was a clear 3 point victory for Marquez).

4. Marco Antonio Barrera - Erik Morales 1. I thought it was amazing. The skill level was so high the volume and power they were throwing and the ferocity of exchanges. I think a great fight should be a story and this was that, the constant shifts in momentum and the impossibly close rounds made it so savage yet so engaging. The beautiful thing is that Morales could have stayed at long range and boxed Barrera to a decision - he didn't.

5. I can't answer this as it constantly changes. Cop out, I know.

6. I'm going with Lewis. I'd have him in my top 5 heavyweights of all time and I think he's a stylistic nightmare for any heavyweight champion. If he is throwing 30 jabs around, he's so hard to beat and the right hand of his is dynamite. The uppercut he threw against Vitali still makes me wince. I really don't think they'll be a big man as good as him for generations.

7. Chris Eubank. I like eccentricity, I like pomp and I like arrogance. The way he was able to enrage the country is stunning; there's a knockout of his when, as the other guy is crumbling to the ground, Eubank has turned and is strutting smugly towards the camera. It's quality. I also liked how angry he could make Benn - "can we get a little Parliamentary procedure"(he said this to Benn's face) is a stroke of brilliance that belongs in boxing folklore. As a fighter, too, he was a warrior. Granite chin and, pre-Watson, could be very vicious when he had you hurt. The two Watson fights, the two Benn fights and the two Thompson fights were all sensational.

8. Benn-Eubank 1. What a fight. The styles gelled perfectly and the personal animosity they had made this one of the best fights ever, in my opinion.

9. Alex Arthur - Michael Gomez. If you have 25 minutes, please watch it. Terrific atmosphere, sustained two-way action and a damn good knockout.

Over to you.

Yeah it’s only a warm up fight, but if we’re honest his competition since Paul Williams 2 hasn’t been great, it’s littered with European level fighters. It’s obviously not quite Joe Louis bum of the month club but Barker, Macklin, aren’t exactly world beaters.

Some would even say Chavez was just a name; he’s hardly a world level operator. That said, I do love Martinez and the way he fights.

Anybody going down to the Froch fight? I wouldn’t waste my time, that fucking Mack guy is punchy to fuck, did anybody see his Ringside appearance? He slurs his words like Riddick Bowe. It’ll end early, its fight like this I fear for the health of a fighter.

That's why I can't take suggestions of him being P4P #1, or even in the top 3, seriously. In fairness, though, he's levels above everyone in the division, he would more than likely knock out every contender within 10 rounds. Classy operator and a classy man, by all accounts.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant to add a KO category as well. I happen to think the best knockout and my favourite are one in the same: Hearns against Duran.

Made a bit of a mess with the order I answered the questions. I didn't answer the best active fighter in the original post. I think that is Andre Ward.

From Friday:

[YOUTUBE]bL0evF6L3JA[/YOUTUBE]

He's a huge talent, pretty sure i mentioned him a good while ago so i'm taking all the credit, he'd better mention me in his interviews. He has frightening hand speed.

Heard Wach is getting done for not having padding in his gloves against Wlad, nasty thing to do. Should get a very long ban.

I’m only young, so I’d have to say Mayweather. He isn't the bravest or even the most exciting but love him or hate him he arguably possess the greatest defensive skills ever seen on a boxer.

I don’t think he’ll go down as an all-time great but he has ATG skills, unfortunately for him (and us) he doesn't have ATG heart/bravery and prefers money to legacy.

Andre Ward for me has to be the best active fighter for two reasons, first he’s a bloody good fighter and secondly, he’s actually active. I’d like to say Mayweather, but the latter – he certainly is not.

Dereck “Del Boy” Chisora – I don’t give a shit if he lost to Tyson Fury or was ROBBED by Hilarious, Chisora has what all fighters should have – heart. He will fight anybody, anywhere, anytime. He’s also a really funny and intelligent guy.

My first Chisora fight was Vs Haye and I’ve decided he’s going to be MY Ricky Hatton; I’m going to follow him everywhere, if he fights in Russia – I’ll be there. WAR CHISORA!

What is the best fight you’ve seen?

I’d say Castillo Vs. Corrales 1 – I didn’t watch it at the time, but I’ve seen it countless times now and yeah it’s my favourite. If you mean favourite fight you’ve sat and watched at the time, I’d say Rios Vs. Alvarado (like I said I haven’t been watching boxing very long and I’m only young).

Well now I’ve read this, I’ll say Castillo vs. Corrales 1, the way it was SO even until the 10th round. Then Castillo puts Corrales down TWICE! You think 10-8 (still 2 minutes left) possible 10-7 or stoppage. Then literally from the edge of defeat, Corrales comes back and stops him – simply breathe taking.

Who is the best British fighter you’ve ever seen?

Probably Ricky Hatton, but to be honest I haven’t seen that many British fighters that I’d say are amazing. Hatton was far from amazing, but he had a brilliant career, did wonders for boxing in Britain and only lost to two truly special fighters. He was above and beyond world class and lost to two of the greatest fighters of this and any era.

I’d probably have to say Jamie Moore; he wasn’t special but should probably have won a World title at some point during his prime. Hopefully for his sake he stays retired as I’ve heard a lot of rumours about a possible return.

What is the best domestic fight you’ve ever seen?

From what I watched I’d be Hatton/Mayweather but purely for the build-up, that weigh in still gives me goosebumps now. I mean seriously who the fuck takes 30,000 fans to Las Vegas for a sport which isn’t even in the mainstream.

Benn Vs. Eubank, I was 3 when this fight took place, but I do really enjoy watching it again. My dad has a DVD his mate made which lasts about 6 hours (a few disks) it’s like build up shows, interviews and the fight (entire coverage at the time) and the hatred these two guys had for one another was mental. The fight didn’t disappoint either.

I wish I was older to see some of the fights people talk about at the time, as you never get a taste for the atmosphere or animosity from watching them back.

Anyway, I really enjoyed that. I look forward to reading all of yours. Especially some of you older ones, you can teach me a thing or two about the best sport in the world!

He's a huge talent, pretty sure i mentioned him a good while ago so i'm taking all the credit, he'd better mention me in his interviews. He has frightening hand speed.

Heard Wach is getting done for not having padding in his gloves against Wlad, nasty thing to do. Should get a very long ban.

Weirdly enough, my wife who knows nothing about boxing watched a bit of the early part of the Klitschko fight with me & said straight away that Wach's punching was a bit strange. She said something along the lines of ' That retarded looking bloke's fists aren't even clenched when he is trying to hit the fitter fella'. Buncey had better watch out.

Going to throw out a few categories, would be nice to hear everyone else's opinion.

Who is the best fighter you've ever seen? Marvin Hagler

Who is the best active fighter? Mayweather

Who is your favourite fighter of all time? Roberto Duran

Who is your favourite active fighter? Katsidis

What is the best fight you've ever seen? McGuigan v Pedroza ( live ) Thriller in Manila (tv)

What is your favourite fight of all time? Leonard v Hearns

Who is the best British fighter you've ever seen? McGuigan

Who is your favourite British fighter ever? Noel Quarless ( great nights at the Everton Park )

What is the best domestic fight you've ever seen(it's fine if the opponent was foreign)? McGuigan v Pedroza , although I have a dim memory of watching a British light-heavyweight title bout between Tom Collins and John Moody on Sportsnight & I remember it as making any Rocky bout seem pretty mundane.

What is your favourite domestic fight? Curry v Honeyghan - still remember the shock I felt.

Im 29 so missed the 80`s

The question says it all to me,the best FIGHTER

.There has been better boxers and boxers with better record or more world title to their name but none had more fight in them.I just want him to retire soon,he is doing himself no favours.

Also in consideration Shane Mosley,Juan Manuel Marquez,Manny Pacquaio

See Above

Sugar Ray Robinson

Carl Froch

What is the best fight you’ve seen?

Live Benn vs McClellan

Tape Hearns-Leonard 1,Hearns-Hagler,Ali-Fraizer 3

Hearns-Leonard 1

Who is the best British fighter you’ve ever seen?

Eubank,he is probably the most underrated aswell.He was never the same after Watson imo,the heart wasnt there to be as nasty as he he was earlier on.

It should have been Naeem Hamed.

Carl Froch

What is the best domestic fight you’ve ever seen?

Benn-McClellan

Benn-Barkley

Weirdly enough, my wife who knows nothing about boxing watched a bit of the early part of the Klitschko fight with me & said straight away that Wach's punching was a bit strange. She said something along the lines of ' That retarded looking bloke's fists aren't even clenched when he is trying to hit the fitter fella'. Buncey had better watch out.

He was caught pre-fight by Vitali in the dressing room mate.

His trainer (I assume) had taken out some of the knuckle padding, Vitali spotted it and the gloves were changed. Theres a video of it on youtube, most of it isn’t in English but there are subtiles.

Vitali looks pissed off and Wach’s trainer looks like he’s just been caught red handed on the rob.

I'm going tomorrow.

I think Froch will grind Mack down and stop him late on.

Bellew, I hope does the business, but I know fuck all about Bollonti, it could be a tricky night for him. Either way I'm looking forward to it. I love Carl Froch, I was there for the Bute fight and the atmosphere was unreal, hoping for something even half as good as that this time round.

In my lifetime of watching Boxing I have to say Mayweather. Pure skill and athleticism.

Andre Ward. As someone else alluded to, Mayweather isnlt "active" in my book, so this goes to Ward, who again is pure class as a technical fighter. Nobody will beat him.

Ricky Hatton just edges out Froch. He's just a likeable figter. He represented my demographic most out of any top level boxer I've seen. He was a good fella and a great, exciting fighter.

Carl Froch. A warrior. This man is as hard as they come. I also really like Tony Bellew, an exciting fighter from our own city. I hope he can break onto thr world scene like Froch has done.

Micky Ward vs Arturo Gatti. An unbelievable battle I've re-watched many times on Youtube.

As above.

Joe Calzaghe for pure ability and skill.

Ricky Hatton.

What is the best domestic fight you've ever seen(it's fine if the opponent was foreign)?

Got to be Jamie Moore Ryan Rhodes. Great battle that swayed one way and then the other.

flloyd mayweather

Andre Ward

Joe Calzaghe

Froch or Burns

Gatti-Ward

Calzaghe

Calzaghe

Carl Wright vs Billy Schwer altough the benn/eubank ones got me into boxing as a kid

as above

Best ever seen - Floyd Mayweather

Best active - Ward/Mayweather

All time favourite - Floyd Mayweather

The 80's decade Hearns - Hagler - leanard - Duran

Favourite active - Mayweather

Best fight seen - Gatti v Ward. - Castillo v Corrales

Live fight seen - Hoko v Villasanna

Best all time fight - Ali v Fraser

Best British boxer - Ricky Hatton

Favourite britiish boxer - Ricky Hatton

Domestic bout - Benn - Watson - Eubanks

Best domestic - Eubanks v Watson

Best British display in the states - Honeygan v Curry.

This Scott Cardle is awful' date=' he has NO power whatsoever. Any half decent fighter will walk him down with ease.[/quote']

Agreed, absolute filth he is.

Did you read those mickey mouse twitter comments on sky, pure bullshit. Cardle is jumpy, has no power, no power, but thinks he's Prince Naseem.

That Yafai kid is different though, he looks special

9 fights at tin can level and he's stopped 2 of them. That las he was fighting then didn't even want to know from the 3rd round onwards and he still didn't get him out of there.

It winds me up when Sky hype these people, they dance to Hearn's tune too much. "This guy hasn't come to win, he's come to survive" and then cherry picking twitter comments and displaying them.

That Yafai looks like a much better prospect though, I'm not getting carried away though, just let him progress and see where he's at in a year or two. He picks his shots really well for a novice though.