You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Faith and Religion

VladimirIlyich

4 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

The arrogance in this post is borderline beautiful. The patting of the “ uneducated” on the head with a knowing smile, reminded me of Brent talking about the “disableds” 

Most of this is correct though. If you are going to hate people for their colour,country of origin or religious,or lack of religious,beliefs then its not a big jump towards sexuality either.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Woah there Neddy! I think you will find most people on here did NOT vote for that shitehawk Johnson and most have never voted Tory in their lives. A sweeping and very wrong generalisation of the membership of TLW.

I think he’s talking about the country mate, unless you’ve whooshed me that is.

7 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

The arrogance in this post is borderline beautiful. The patting of the “ uneducated” on the head with a knowing smile reminded me of Brent talking about the “disableds” 

What arrogance exactly? I was trying to outline a sorry state of affair. I’d be happy for you to contribute to the discussion as opposed to just sneer from the sidelines.

8 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It's mad. Not mentioning a religion but regularly criticising a country = a form of racism/bigotry.

But, going on about a specific religion for absolutely fucking years is fine? 

Rather than neg, why not just own your vile behaviour? 

We all see you. You can't hide. 

In fairness to Rico, he did say (I think) that he holds contempt towards jews and christians all the same.

25 minutes ago, aRdja said:

In fairness to Rico, he did say (I think) that he holds contempt towards jews and christians all the same.

Well, it's the same argument Stronts makes to hint at anti-antisemitism in criticism of Israel right?

People may say they would be equally critical of all governments but they seem to ignore almost every other instance and write an awful lot about every atrocity committed by Israel. 

Rico may say he feels the same way about all religions, but he has 20,000 posts about Islam and 3 about other religions.  

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Well, it's the same argument Stronts makes to hint at anti-antisemitism in criticism of Israel right?

People may say they would be equally critical of all governments but they seem to ignore almost every other instance and write an awful lot about every atrocity committed by Israel. 

Rico may say he feels the same way about all religions, but he has 20,000 posts about Islam and 3 about other religions.  

I’m not prepared to go further in defending Rico so I’ll let leave it to him.

With regards to Israel, they are pretty unique in that not many countries have got away with explicitly having a two-tier system for their residents... one for jews with all their democratic rights and one for the majority of arabs with effectively none. That’s why they get regularly criticised by those who see themselves as democrats. I disagree with SD that ‘singling out’ the Israel state is an act of anti-semitism here. Where you could possibly blame Judaism is that it does form the basis of Zionism... but that is a dangerous territory to explore IMO, one I don’t really want to go into. 

Religion gets talked about on here, in the main, when there is a major terrorist atrocity, particularly in this country. If it was Christians blowing themselves up in arenas and tube trains, or rampaging through London with knives, then they'd get mentioned more. Short of not commenting when there's a terrorist attack on British soil, I'm not sure how anyone can avoid mentioning Muslims more than Christians.

Now I did a few forum searches, and I have mentioned the word "Islam" 105 times and "Christianity" 11 times. Rico has mentioned the word "Muslims" 78 times and the word "Christians" 8 times. So we're clearly obsessed.

Oh wait a minute, that wasn't the figures for me and Rico - it was the figures for Angry and Nelly. Whoops.

17 minutes ago, aRdja said:

With regards to Israel, they are pretty unique in that not many countries have got away with explicitly having a two-tier system for their residents... one for jews with all their democratic rights and one for the majority of arabs with effectively none. 

No doubt your assertion will be a surprise to the Arab MPs who currently occupy 17 of the 120 seats in the Knesset; nevertheless perhaps you could educate us on the democratic rights that both Jews and Arabs enjoy in the rest of the Middle East.

• Downvote 4

27 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Perhaps you could educate us on the democratic rights that both Jews and Arabs enjoy in the rest of the Middle East.

Stronts I’ve criticised the likes of Saudi probably more times than you and other right-leaning posters added together, but no one falsely attacked Jeremy Corbyn for speaking up against Saudi, so of course the discussion wouldn’t have been as prominent in this forum. 

Also perhaps this could be a bit controversial, you don’t really read or hear about slaughters of innocent Jews in the Middle East, like you do about Palestinians on a semi regular basis, so I suppose that’s also a contributing factor.

34 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Religion gets talked about on here, in the main, when there is a major terrorist atrocity, particularly in this country. If it was Christians blowing themselves up in arenas and tube trains, or rampaging through London with knives, then they'd get mentioned more. Short of not commenting when there's a terrorist attack on British soil, I'm not sure how anyone can avoid mentioning Muslims more than Christians.

Now I did a few forum searches, and I have mentioned the word "Islam" 105 times and "Christianity" 11 times. Rico has mentioned the word "Muslims" 78 times and the word "Christians" 8 times. So we're clearly obsessed.

Oh wait a minute, that wasn't the figures for me and Rico - it was the figures for Angry and Nelly. Whoops.

No doubt your assertion will be a surprise to the Arab MPs who currently occupy 17 of the 120 seats in the Knesset; nevertheless perhaps you could educate us on the democratic rights that both Jews and Arabs enjoy in the rest of the Middle East.

Well that's not an embarrassing post in the slightest.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Stronts I’ve criticised the likes of Saudi probably more times than you and other right-leaning posters added together, but no one falsely attacked Jeremy Corbyn for speaking up against Saudi, so of course the discussion wouldn’t have been as prominent in this forum. 

Also perhaps this could be a bit controversial, you don’t really read or hear about slaughters of innocent Jews in the Middle East, like you do about Palestinians on a semi regular basis, so I suppose that’s also a contributing factor.

I'm not seeing much of an answer to my question there.

I'm not "right-leaning", and you've mentioned Saudi 9 times on this forum, compared to my 63.

Is it even worth addressing the rest of it, I mean, really...

48 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'm not seeing much of an answer to my question there.

I'm not "right-leaning", and you've mentioned Saudi 9 times on this forum, compared to my 63.

Is it even worth addressing the rest of it, I mean, really...

Just because you don’t like it, doesn’t mean it’s not there SD. If the media unfairly picked on Corbyn for his speaking up against Saudi, then I’m sure we would’ve seen it discussed way more often. The truth is often uncomfortable, I’m sorry.

5 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Because no one EVER defends the Scientologists. Ever.  

• Upvote 1

I read somewhere the Mormon church is sat on 100 billion quid. Modern religions highlight the absurdity of all religion for me. If you can laugh at the sheer stupidity of Joseph's Smiths revelations then it's all up for laughter because it's all bat shit crazy. I've no interest in making a point of saying this to religious people though  no more than I'd go round telling kids Santa doesn't exist because I'm not an arsehole, believe what you want and what makes you happy. At a state level keep the fairy tales separate from decision making and any business that can earn 100 billion quid shouldn't be tax exempt or somehow live outside the rules. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Why different search terms for yourself? Disingenuous much? I did one search of your posts and one only. 

0384EEC8-E52A-4EE3-8154-6730E076EFC5.png

I don’t even know why you’d do that. It’s not like the difference between 105 and 130 is enough to be such a dick about, is it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I read somewhere the Mormon church is sat on 100 billion quid. Modern religions highlight the absurdity of all religion for me. If you can laugh at the sheer stupidity of Joseph's Smiths revelations then it's all up for laughter because it's all bat shit crazy. I've no interest in making a point of saying this to religious people though  no more than I'd go round telling kids Santa doesn't exist because I'm not an arsehole, believe what you want and what makes you happy. At a state level keep the fairy tales separate from decision making and any business that can earn 100 billion quid shouldn't be tax exempt or somehow live outside the rules. 

The Book of Mormon is fantastic, it lays it all out brilliantly.  

I don’t see the difference between ridiculing political beliefs and ridiculing religious beliefs. I mean, which is dafter believing in a small government and lots of personal responsibility or that if you go to Lourdes the Virgin Mary may appear and cure your cancer. 

I think a lot of people who lean more to the left mention Israel a lot more because the media by and large doesn't denounce the actions of the IDF against Palestine. They generally get away with it. Its disgusting. 

Same with Saudi Arabia. Money talks when it comes to this stuff. Its not anti-semitic or racist to call them out on this. Its human decency. 

12 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

The Book of Mormon is fantastic, it lays it all out brilliantly.  

I don’t see the difference between ridiculing political beliefs and ridiculing religious beliefs. I mean, which is dafter believing in a small government and lots of personal responsibility or that if you go to Lourdes the Virgin Mary may appear and cure your cancer. 

One of my best mates moved to Salt Lake City and has married into a Mormon family. His wife is the only one who isn't a proper Mormon out of them though. But still. I know very little about Mormons. Are they like a cross between Amish and them white cartoon elephants?